No announcement yet.

any guesses for Hall of Fame next week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any guesses for Hall of Fame next week?

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...ascar-notebook

they'll be picking 5 next week from this list;
    The nominees are: Bobby Allison, Buck Baker, Red Byron, Richard Childress, Jerry Cook, Richie Evans, Tim Flock, Rick Hendrick, Jack Ingram, Dale Inman, Ned Jarrett, Fred Lorenzen, Bud Moore, Raymond Parks, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts, T. Wayne Robertson, Herb Thomas, Curtis Turner, Darrell Waltrip, Joe Weatherly, Glen Wood and Cale Yarborough.

I'll say Bobby Allison, Pearson, Fireball, Curtis Turner and Cale.

I still think last year stunk when they put two Frances in at once and left out the Silver Fox.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
    http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...ascar-notebook

they'll be picking 5 next week from this list;
    The nominees are: Bobby Allison, Buck Baker, Red Byron, Richard Childress, Jerry Cook, Richie Evans, Tim Flock, Rick Hendrick, Jack Ingram, Dale Inman, Ned Jarrett, Fred Lorenzen, Bud Moore, Raymond Parks, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts, T. Wayne Robertson, Herb Thomas, Curtis Turner, Darrell Waltrip, Joe Weatherly, Glen Wood and Cale Yarborough.

I'll say Bobby Allison, Pearson, Fireball, Curtis Turner and Cale.

I still think last year stunk when they put two Frances in at once and left out the Silver Fox.
    I'd go with your picks with the exception of substituting T. Wayne Robertson for Curtis Turner...
    Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

I have to put in Lorenzen and Lee Petty before Turner.

I wouldn't induct Cale with Allison and Pearson. I'd spread the seventies stars out. Pearson is the best, and Bobby's health breaks the rest of the ties. He could be dead or incoherent in 2012. So Cale and Darrell can wait til 2012.

2011: Lorenzen, Lee Petty, Allison, Fireball, Pearson

And I hope Smokey Yunick's ghost haunts everyone who didnt' nominate him.

I think they need to induct/honor an historic (defunct) team or business each year for a while. H-M, Kiekhaefer, Bud Moore , Petty Engineering, Ray Fox, Matthews, Owens, etc. That also provides an opportunity to honor the key players from those operations like Dale Inman.
      Last edited by atrackforumfan; 10-07-2010, 12:35 PM.
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

The nominees are in bold: Bobby Allison, Buck Baker, Red Byron, Richard Childress, Jerry Cook, Richie Evans, Tim Flock, Rick Hendrick, Jack Ingram, Dale Inman, Ned Jarrett, Fred Lorenzen, Bud Moore, Raymond Parks, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Lee Petty, Fireball Roberts, T. Wayne Robertson, Herb Thomas, Curtis Turner, Darrell Waltrip, Joe Weatherly, Glen Wood and Cale Yarborough.
        Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Who I think will get in. David Pearson, Lee Petty, Tim Flock, T. Wayne Robertson and Fireball Roberts

Who I want in. David Pearson, Richie Evans, Fireball Roberts, Fred Lorenzen and Glen Wood
          "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Ned Jarret

Lee Petty

Fireball Roberts

Glen Wood

T Wayne Robertson

Comment

Bobby Allison, David Pearson, Fireball Roberts, Lee Petty and Cale Yarborough.

Comment

Bobby Allison, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Fireball Roberts, Cale Yarborough

Comment

Does anyone think Nascar will ever let Curtis Turner go into the Hall of Fame? T. Wayne Robertson belongs there because of his backing Nascar before Nascar became a powerhouse.
                  quote:
                  "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

I don't think Nascar has a problem with putting Turner in. He was on Nascar's top 50 list in '98. The biggest problem with inducting Turner is that his statistics don't live up to his talent and his image.

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

Comment

I'm pleasantly surprised by the elected group. Bud Moore is the first owner/mechanic elected; I'd pick Glen Wood instead. Ned Jarrett is kind of a meh pick, but I'll give them one.
                      Last edited by atrackforumfan; 10-13-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

from the Indy Star;
                        Many wondered how Waltrip and Yarborough could have been excluded when Allison, a driver with similar numbers, made the class. Waltrip is tied with Allison with 84 career wins, and Yarborough, who won three straight championships and four Daytona 500s, had 83 career victories.

The answer was politics. Voters said after the inductees were announced that a great deal of the discussion focused more on character and off-track contributions to NASCAR than it did on statistics.

Waltrip was a polarizing figure as a driver and has angered many in the industry with his criticism as a broadcaster for Fox. Yarborough has had very little to do with NASCAR since his 1999 retirement.

man, what's the point then?? It should be called the NASCAR Hall of Suck-Ups
                        "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                        "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                        "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by nm View Post
                          T. Wayne Robertson belongs there because of his backing Nascar before Nascar became a powerhouse.
                          The HOF should be for drivers, crew chiefs, and owners IMHO, not sponsors or sponsor reps. When Winston came into NASCAR, T. was a only showcar driver/co-ordinator for Winston and survived in the tough world of corporate marketing to move up his company ladder. He didn't exactly put the initial sponsorship deal together. Good for him, but not HOF material.

Motorsports is so oversaturated with sponsor crap, something should remain free of it. I don't think you see that in other HOF's.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
                            from the Indy Star;
                            Many wondered how Waltrip and Yarborough could have been excluded when Allison, a driver with similar numbers, made the class. Waltrip is tied with Allison with 84 career wins, and Yarborough, who won three straight championships and four Daytona 500s, had 83 career victories.

The answer was politics. Voters said after the inductees were announced that a great deal of the discussion focused more on character and off-track contributions to NASCAR than it did on statistics.

Waltrip was a polarizing figure as a driver and has angered many in the industry with his criticism as a broadcaster for Fox. Yarborough has had very little to do with NASCAR since his 1999 retirement.

It's not all about on-track contritubtions; it's about the way a person is off the track as well. David, Bobby, Lee, Bud, and Ned all made off-track contributions as well as on-track that helped NASCAR grow.

There's also that thing about character. If any of these five had been left out and DW was voted in, it would've ruined the class. Darrell have a very big "Me! Me! Me!" attitde and thinks very highly of DARRELL.
                            My Twitter Profile (feel free to follow): www.twitter.com/3Paige14

My Blog: http://femaleindycarfan.blogspot.com/

Proud Supporter of Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud, Tony Stewart, AJ Allmendinger, and Meyer Shank Racing + Many Others in the Motorsports World

Lionheart and Badass Forever

Comment

If it's a popularity contest among Nascar insiders, this is the first one Bobby Allison has ever won.

Personally, I think they just didn't want to put in all of the biggest stars at once, so they had to look for other candidates after David and Bobby. If Bobby's health were better, I bet they'd have elected Cale first.

If Allison's health were better, I'd be perfectly fine with inducting David, Cale, Bobby, and Darrell in separate years.

Jerry Punch says Dale Inman nearly got voted in; he, Cale, and Darrell were 6, 7, and 8 (I don't remember whether it's that order, but Inman isn't 8th). I'd almost say that's overthinking.
                              Last edited by atrackforumfan; 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X