Brickyard 400 seating - downsized!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickyard 400 seating - downsized!

I received a call from the IMS ticket office today - I've had a block of 8 tickets in Grandstand G since 1994 that has gradually shrunk to two tickets (too much JJ over the years, LOL). I was informed that the Speedway is "condensing" their seating options for 2011, and Grandstand G will be closed (Brickyard 400 only). I was offered two seats in the Southeast Vista - better seats most likely and for 2011, I won't have to pay anything additional since those seats are a bit more expensive than the ones in G.

Understandable, given this year's crowd - I can appreciate the Speedway's position - why pay for more yellow shirts, concessions, etc if the crowd is down so much. Has this happened with anyone else?
    #BCForever

I wonder what other areas are to be closed - G cannot be the only one - not after last year. I went from 6 to 2 after I could not even give them away when family could not go.
    Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Who would have ever thought the Brickyard 400 would come to this? There was talk at one time about two races and of course there was talk about The 500 eventually being a stock car race. You don't hear anyone talking like that anymore.

Comment

I remember this being mentioned before on TF but the first year you had to enter a lottery to even have the chance of buying tickets.

The # that sticks in my head is IMS had 3X the # of people wanting to buy tickets than they had tickets
        Live like Dave

Comment

I t seems many of the tracks are "tarping off" sections with signage or as Daytona did - dismantaled part of the "super stretch stand" and converted to a "party deck" with the concourse.
          Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Originally posted by THIRD TURN View Post
            Who would have ever thought the Brickyard 400 would come to this? There was talk at one time about two races and of course there was talk about The 500 eventually being a stock car race. You don't hear anyone talking like that anymore.
            This is only a few years away for the Indy 500 too. Don't kid yourself.
            "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

It started with the 2010 Red Bull Indianapolis GP. I had perfect top-row seats in the C7 stand (temporary bleachers behind the Museum) the first two years. After renewing for 2010, the ticket office called and said they weren't going to erect that stand because they were downsizing. When they asked where I wanted to change to to, I said "No thanks" and canceled my order.

Comment

Originally posted by fivehundred2go View Post
                I t seems many of the tracks are "tarping off" sections with signage or as Daytona did - dismantaled part of the "super stretch stand" and converted to a "party deck" with the concourse.
                Daytona also reduced their seating a couple years ago when they gutted the remaining bench seats and replaced them with chair backs. It was mostly the lower section, but it still eliminated a couple thousand seats. Back in about '99, one of the Daytona employees said the plans showed the "Superstrech" stand extending all the way to turn 3. They were just building it in segments. It's a good thing they never built the rest of it. It already is closed off for the 400.

I suggested last year that IMS condense their seating for the 400...put some banners in the crummy areas. After the Conway crash, I think it's a perfect time and excuse to eliminate some of the seats that are too close to the track.
                Doctorindy.com

Comment

They are closing the backstretch NE Vista seats as well. Not sure which sections are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ovalfan01 View Post
                    They are closing the backstretch NE Vista seats as well. Not sure which sections are involved.
                    My guess would be fro the south end of what was the position of the old Stand L will be totally vacant. Those were the "sale at reduced price" for this years race and were still pretty empty.

Comment

Originally posted by fivehundred2go View Post
                      My guess would be fro the south end of what was the position of the old Stand L will be totally vacant. Those were the "sale at reduced price" for this years race and were still pretty empty.
                      During the 500, the North Vista (the one built in 1993) and the current NE Vista (built in 1996) is where they've been seating the marching bands for years...even in the "sold out" years. The bands who march on race morning get to sit there with their family. A lot take them, a lot walk around, and a lot have to leave early to catch their charter bus.

Frankly the NE Vista backstrech seats are bad. It's not a good view of much of anything, and the access is long from wherever you park.
                      Doctorindy.com

Comment

I think it would be a good idea for all tracks considering downsizing to get rid of all seats within 25 vertical feet of the track. Who in the world wants to sit in those lousy folding chairs on the floor at the end of the Indy frontstretch? When I see those low trioval seats at Charlotte and Atlanta I think that's ground zero if something goes wrong there. The newer tracks like Chicagoland had this in mind when they built them, but now is the time for older to tracks to make these areas safer.
                        "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                          This is only a few years away for the Indy 500 too. Don't kid yourself.
                          The 500 attendance has actually been increasing in recent years. While no one can predict the future I think the 500 is going to continue to be OK.

Comment

In total, nascar tracks have removed over 150,000 seats over the past year, looking at the attendance figures for 2010, that number will probably increase drastically before the 2011 season kicks off.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                              In total, nascar tracks have removed over 150,000 seats over the past year, looking at the attendance figures for 2010, that number will probably increase drastically before the 2011 season kicks off.
                              I am not questioning your numbers, but just curious where they came from? I would like to see what track and how many seats.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X