RE: Roger Penske tire test statement on Wind Tunnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Roger Penske tire test statement on Wind Tunnel

Just overheard it...was not really paying too much attention.

But I think Roger said that NASCAR's test limitations have them doing some of their testing on Hoosiers instead of Goodyears.

Can someone fill in this casual NASCAR fan on the details of that statement?

TIA.
    http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

NASCAR limits the number of Goodyears a team gets each year for testing, and specifies at what tests they can be used. It was done in an effort to limit testing expense for the teams. Instead, teams just went out and bought as many Hooseiers as they need to do whatever testing they want, outside of the rules restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by 9rows
      Just overheard it...was not really paying too much attention.

But I think Roger said that NASCAR's test limitations have them doing some of their testing on Hoosiers instead of Goodyears.

TIA.
      Old news, Goodyear has now offered to sell a certain number of test tires to the teams. The limiting of tires for testing, as the ICS does it, was a cost cutting attempt by NASCAR that none of the teams wanted.
      It's always been about the Indy 500!
      I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
        Old news, Goodyear has now offered to sell a certain number of test tires to the teams. The limiting of tires for testing, as the ICS does it, was a cost cutting attempt by NASCAR that none of the teams wanted.
        Sorry I missed it. As I said:

Originally posted by Fueler
        NASCAR limits the number of Goodyears a team gets each year for testing, and specifies at what tests they can be used. It was done in an effort to limit testing expense for the teams. Instead, teams just went out and bought as many Hooseiers as they need to do whatever testing they want, outside of the rules restrictions.
        Thanks Fueler. It seems like rules that are supposed to help contain costs simply drive them up many times ... in any series.
        http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
          A cost cutting measure that did what it usually did... cost the owners a heck of a lot of money.

Comment

ARCA (which basically uses Nascar Cup pre-COT chassis) runs on Hoosiers so there is a readily available tire for the Cup application.
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Yes, due to testing restrictions on the number of tests that can be done on in-series tracks and Goodyear tires, the teams test at Rockingham, Milwaukee, Kentucky, VIR...I think even Hickory, occasionally, on Hoosiers.
              "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

Originally posted by Marc P. Gregoire
                Yes, due to testing restrictions on the number of tests that can be done on in-series tracks and Goodyear tires, the teams test at Rockingham, Milwaukee, Kentucky, VIR...I think even Hickory, occasionally, on Hoosiers.
                They probably wish they could race on 'em too.
                ...Always follow the money

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule
                  A cost cutting measure that did what it usually did... cost the owners a heck of a lot of money.
                  That's because sanctioning bodies usually make these "cost cutting measures" without input from the teams.
                  "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Affirmative.

BTW - who was the guy on WT w/ Penske? He was every bit as lame as any guest/commentator that has ever been on that show.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X