• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover update

Hornish 36th
    Dario 38th
    Carpentier 45th

Dario is basically out of the lock-ins. He posted his highest finish - 31st. He's done nothing but **** around in the back of the pack since the first race.

Sam had a decent run today in 25th, and got up to 36th in points. He's still got a shot to keep his lock in, but next week is Bristol. I'll give it to Sam - I think he's trying a hell of a lot harder than Dario; the skill just isn't there. He's doing better than I thought he would though.

Carpentier will struggle. Look for him to be out of the car by midseason.
    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

What a shame.

I'm on record as hoping these guys do poorly. I want IC guys staying in IC.

Comment

You might be correct on the first two RW, but Carp sticks, the team likes him, Gillet owns the Canadians hockey team, Carp is a French Canadian. He wasn't going to make Daytona unless he made it on speed, and he had a too early "Q" run for that. "Q" runs were rained out at Fontana, since then Carp has driven into both races on desire, he sticks.

IF any of the three MWR teams miss the Bristol show Sam is a lock-in after Bristol, unless he has an early crash (very possible). The Fontana crash wasn't of his making, unfortunately it took off the top of the engine and the car couldn't be fixed. Vegas was his fault, he should have been riding, not racing. No excuses, just the facts, If Sam ends up locked out, so be it.

Dario simply hasn't tried hard enough, he did ride around, just not hard enough. I still think he can make fields on his own once he has to.
      It's always been about the Indy 500!
      I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
        You might be correct on the first two RW, but Carp sticks, the team likes him, Gillet owns the Canadians hockey team, Carp is a French Canadian. He wasn't going to make Daytona unless he made it on speed, and he had a too early "Q" run for that. "Q" runs were rained out at Fontana, since then Carp has driven into both races on desire, he sticks.

IF any of the three MWR teams miss the Bristol show Sam is a lock-in after Bristol, unless he has an early crash (very possible). The Fontana crash wasn't of his making, unfortunately it took off the top of the engine and the car couldn't be fixed. Vegas was his fault, he should have been riding, not racing. No excuses, just the facts, If Sam ends up locked out, so be it.

Dario simply hasn't tried hard enough, he did ride around, just not hard enough. I still think he can make fields on his own once he has to.
        Didn't he blow a tire. One lap prior to a planned pit stop?

Are you saying he was running too hard? His fault or the team's setup? or Goodyear's?

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
          IF any of the three MWR teams miss the Bristol show Sam is a lock-in after Bristol,
          They won't. All three MWR cars are in the top 35.

unless he has an early crash (very possible). The Fontana crash wasn't of his making,
          I'd move "possible" up to "likely." Sam is prime meat to wad it up early at Bristol. Also, don't forget that Blaney is only 1 point behind him and light years more accomplished at a place like Bristol. If anyone pops into the top 35, it'll be Blaney.
          No excuses, just the facts, If Sam ends up locked out, so be it.
          Except that I will be proven right.

I doubt it strongly, at least not on a regular basis. Dario will head for an Allmendinger-like performance the rest of the way.
          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
            Except that I will be proven right.
            That would be a first, don't count on it just yet, if so even a blind squirrel finds his nuts once in awhile, don't forget we are on until after Martinsville. Brian's Wish wins either way, and I won't rub it in if you are wrong, I have more class than you do.
            It's always been about the Indy 500!
            I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Sam has done a nice job in his transition. No one can really say other wise. He had a tire blow out (Tony didn't keep it off the wall when his tire blew either), and was taken out in an accident. The other two events he has done decent. If you think other wise you obviously are not watching the races. Nascar veterans have complemented him and said he is doing a great job. JJ may see otherwise, but I don't think that incident was Sams fault. JJ knew who was in his mirror and should have errored on the side of caution.

Dario has disappointed totally, as I thought he would. I don't understand why he even made the switch as Nascar never seemed to fit him. I have developed some admiration for him over the past few years in the Indycar Series, but don't think he did himself any favors by going to Nascar. I think he will always struggle, but I hope he doesn't. The guy doesn't like oval racing and especially 1.5 mile tracks. The money must have been great. I didn't understand Chip making that hire and never will. If any driver screams out ALMS it is Dario. He is too scared to drive in the IRL now, and I can't say that I blame him after his two in air events.

Patrick Carpentier doesn't deserve to be dropped, he can race, trust me, and I think perhaps he may have more upside in Nascar than Sam or Dario. He should have been in the Daytona 500, would have been in another race if they would have had qualifications at Cali. He is fast in a lesser car than Sam and Dario has. His problem seems to be the same as most open wheel racers transitioning to Nascar and that is their racing lines and trying to carry to much speed into the turn versus carrying the speed out of the turn. He will learn when not to put his nose out of the draft etc. Give him some time, he is much better than most of the backmarkers in Nascar now.

Comment

How's that great open-wheeler Yeley doing???
                www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by badart
                  How's that great open-wheeler Yeley doing???

Better than Dario, Sam, Patreek and Allmendinger.
                  IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by meirafan
                    Dario has disappointed totally, as I thought he would. I don't understand why he even made the switch as Nascar never seemed to fit him. I have developed some admiration for him over the past few years in the Indycar Series, but don't think he did himself any favors by going to Nascar. I think he will always struggle, but I hope he doesn't. The guy doesn't like oval racing and especially 1.5 mile tracks. The money must have been great. I didn't understand Chip making that hire and never will.
                    Pretty much sums up my feelings - probably had a deal too good to be true, and if so, smart for him to take it, dumb for Chip to offer it. I think Dario has one race left in his NASCAR career.

I agree with Mack's assessment on Carp... I think he'll do OK. As for Sam - he could go either way at this point.
                    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Dario has looked decent in the Busch (oops, Nationwide) races even though he's running against many of the same guys. The COT seems to require a driver who can handle a loose race car - perhaps it simply doesn't fit Dario's driving style.
                      I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks
                        Better than Dario, Sam, Patreek and Allmendinger.

He was only better than Allmendinger yesterday, and that was because he wasn't in the field.

I noticed you fail to mention Mears, Montoya, R Gordon and Stewart in your bashing of former open wheel racers. Maybe because they disprove whatever your point is???
                        www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by badart

1. He was only better than Allmendinger yesterday, and that was because he wasn't in the field.

2. I noticed you fail to mention Mears, Montoya, R Gordon and Stewart in your bashing of former open wheel racers. Maybe because they disprove whatever your point is???

1. Me and you have as many starts this year as AJ Allmendinger. And, that isn't likely to change either. Fact is, that Yeley is still ahead of Sam, Dario, Patreek and Allmendinger in points, on a bad 1 car team. Yeley was almost dead even with Montoya last year in points.

2. Mears, in a Rick Hendrick car, is still battling to make the top 35. Yes, that is sure impressive. Montoya is a basic midpacker. So is Robby Gordon. Stewart, Kahne, Newman and Jeff Gordon are top dogs, capable of winning every week.

Your point is what?
                          IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Sam outraced Allmendinger's "journeyman" replacement as well as these guys with about eleventy-billion cup starts between them:

Mike Skinner
                            Kasey Kahne
                            Travis Kvapil
                            Michael Waltrip
                            Reed Sorenson
                            David Gilliland
                            Dario Franchitti #
                            Dave Blaney
                            Patrick Carpentier #
                            Joe Nemechek
                            JJ Yeley
                            Regan Smith #
                            Jeremy Mayfield
                            Jamie McMurray
                            Kyle Petty
                            Carl Edwards
                            Elliott Sadler

Not a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                              They won't. All three MWR cars are in the top 35.
                              They might. NASCAR changed the points carry over from four races as it was last year to five races this year. So they are still in the go or go home category. Reiutimann DNQ'd both Bristol races last season. Mikey DNQ'd the first one and DJ had to use the Champions Provisional.

I expect the former formula racers to repeat history and be involved in many caution flags.
                              I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X