Tire issues in Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire issues in Atlanta

Kyle Busch just had another tire failure in the Nationwide race (while leading) First off, this guy has pretty foul luck in this series. Do you think his right front failures are a product of his driving style? or just an inconsistent product brought by Goodyear. Probably a mixture of the two? thoughts?
    Motor racing news and commentary:

http://www.ridebuyer.blogspot.com/

When a shock comes flying off the car BEFORE the car hits the wall, I'm thinking that the tire might not have been the problem.
    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Last night Kyle said all 3 of his rides were sh.... uh, garbage.
      And everyone is whining about the tires---which is the thing to do i guess when you are going 180+mph.
      But don't they stick better if you go a little slower?
      Is this NASCAR's way of putting drivers more into the equation?
      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
      ~~Groucho Marx
      I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Tony Stewart put a pretty good smackdown on Goodyear during his interview during Happy Hour. Something along the lines of Goodyear being incompetent, bringing "ridiculously hard tires" to the track, and being able to fall back in quality of product when they are writing the massive checks.

Does anyone other than me see a boycott in the future? I'd like to see Hoosier tires make a comeback...
        77 Forever - Rest in Peace Dan.

- @KBrughelli11
        - @AcrossTheBricks

"Life is too short to be consumed by the circumstances that make us sour." - Helio Castroneves

Comment

Goodyear can't win here (and I would love to see Firestone get a try, alone), when teams fine-edge caster/camber gain and miss, the tire takes a beating, blisters, and fails. When teams use tire pressure as a "wedge wrench," the tire takes a beating and blisters and fails. Either way they blame Goodyear. This tire was tested last October, conditions last night and today were horrible. When you use jet driers to dry tracks it leaves an oily residue on everything the blast touches. When you aim one of those blasts at the outside wall, all sorts of crap gets left on the track that can cut tires that eventually blow, by then the tire is so torn up they can't find the cut or evidence of a blister, and Goodyear takes the blame. No wonder they build those tires out of flint rubber.
          It's always been about the Indy 500!
          I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
            Goodyear can't win here (and I would love to see Firestone get a try, alone), when teams fine-edge caster/camber gain and miss, the tire takes a beating, blisters, and fails. When teams use tire pressure as a "wedge wrench," the tire takes a beating and blisters and fails. Either way they blame Goodyear. This tire was tested last October, conditions last night and today were horrible. When you use jet driers to dry tracks it leaves an oily residue on everything the blast touches. When you aim one of those blasts at the outside wall, all sorts of crap gets left on the track that can cut tires that eventually blow, by then the tire is so torn up they can't find the cut or evidence of a blister, and Goodyear takes the blame. No wonder they build those tires out of flint rubber.
            Yep. If I were making the calls for Goodyear, I'd do the same thing. "Well, guys, you want to fudge the setup/caster/camber pressure recommendations? Wanna blame us for everything. No problem. The tires will be harder than the hubs of hell. Have a good time."
            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
              "Well, guys, you want to fudge the setup/caster/camber pressure recommendations? Wanna blame us for everything. No problem. The tires will be harder than the hubs of hell. Have a good time."
              Last week one of the cars crashed early. They stipped the front end sheet metal off of the car and it ran around, getting points, modified style.

The left front tire was kicked over more than the average street stock at your local dirt track.

It hurt my eyes to look at!
              "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                Yep. If I were making the calls for Goodyear, I'd do the same thing. "Well, guys, you want to fudge the setup/caster/camber pressure recommendations? Wanna blame us for everything. No problem. The tires will be harder than the hubs of hell. Have a good time."
                Wait until hot weather and tracks where you have to use brakes, the tires will pop like corn kernels. You see, those fenders are heat containers, whether the heat comes from the brakes, tires or a combination of both. No matter how many cooling ducts, when the bead melts and the tires blow, it still looks like the Goodyear's blew up. Open wheel cars don't shed "donuts," the entire "tread" part of the tire, but tires on an open wheel car are air-cooled, and so are the brakes. I would love see them put about six large louvers in the cup car front fenders ahead of the tires, for cooling, it might help front downforce and aero-push as well. They could standardize them and make them CF bolt-ons.
                I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

Comment

Did I hear something in the Daytona broadcast about using fans to cool the tires on the COT?

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Too
                    Wait until hot weather and tracks where you have to use brakes, the tires will pop like corn kernels. You see, those fenders are heat containers, whether the heat comes from the brakes, tires or a combination of both. No matter how many cooling ducts, when the bead melts and the tires blow, it still looks like the Goodyear's blew up. Open wheel cars don't shed "donuts," the entire "tread" part of the tire, but tires on an open wheel car are air-cooled, and so are the brakes. I would love see them put about six large louvers in the cup car front fenders ahead of the tires, for cooling, it might help front downforce and aero-push as well. They could standardize them and make them CF bolt-ons.

I think they might be more effective over the top of the tires or just behind them. From what I've been lead to understand, the problem isn't cold air entry, it's hot air exit.

Comment

* Rather its goodyear's problem or not, its still goodyear's problem.... If I'm the CEO or prez or whatever of goodyear, I'm wondering exacting what the benefit is to the company to run a five hour infomercial every Sunday afternoon featuring continuously EXPLODING GOODYEARS from every camera angle and at every camera speed complete with driver testimonials about their tire failure.

* When you have an exclusive deal to supply a product without competition, you should be able to come up with something that is not a constant negative factor in the race results.

* Maybe its time for nascar to require goodyear to post a bond to be distributed among the teams whose cars are damaged due to EXPLODING GOODYEARS...... or maybe its time for nascar to open up to other tire companies.
                      Last edited by doitagain; 03-09-2008, 07:01 PM.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                      http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

It's only a matter of time before NASCAR makes caster, camber, and toe-in spec items to go with the COT, just as they have done with inflation pressures. They won't let their only tire supplier take the heat on this for long, the check is too big.

Comment

I've asked before: Why in the world doesn't NASCAR allow tire pressure and temperature telemetry?

Comment

I agree on all of that Fueler, but I also think NASCAR needs to rethink their policy on tire valve pressure regulators as well. While not entirely reliable and fool proof, I bet every crew chief in the series would use them if they could. As it is now, drivers have to go out and run several laps, usually at speed, with tires not up to optimum pressure. They have to do that because heat causes pressure build up, so the teams guess the cold tire inflation pressure so that the tire doesn't end up over inflated late in the run. Over-inflation probably causes more blown tires than anything, especially with drivers like Kyle Busch that STILL runs 110% all the time. There are valve stem pressure bleeders available and used in other series, often on dirt, with incremental settings, NASCAR doesn't like them. RW knows more about them than I do, he's more involved than I am.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X