Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cot

    The last few years folks spent a lot of time talking about the need to bring the driver back into the equation and if the first few races are any indication, the COT is doing that. NASCAR looks to have gotten the COT right. It's refreshing to see those cars sliding around compared to the underpowered, over downforced racing package you see other places. It's like about lap 70 in old champcar 100 lapper. You know you're getting close when you've got a formula where even Jeff Gordon loses it and Smoke burns up a tire.

  • #2
    I'll be happy to admit that I've been very pleasantly surprised with the new car. It seems like it races very well from a competition standpoint.
    No man can cause more grief than that one clinging blindly to the vices of his ancestors. - William Faulkner

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pb
      I'll be happy to admit that I've been very pleasantly surprised with the new car. It seems like it races very well from a competition standpoint.
      Yeah I had been skeptical until seeing it in person at California. Even at that rained out disaster of a race the new car did infact appear to be not only a good performer, but it actually is a better looking car. The old car looks like a chubby chipmunk mated with a corvette by comparision. The new car looks like well... a car.

      Comment


      • #4
        The only thing I would change right now would be the shocks and springs and track bar to get away from the suspension setups they are having to use right now as RW had alluded to in another thread..........plus fix the bolt working itsef out of the oil tank box.............
        SENسR MODERATOR......

        "Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

        Comment


        • #5
          I would do away with the bump stops and epoxy tie wraps on the springs, if they coil bind the cars you clip the tie wrap and you are in trouble.
          It's always been about the Indy 500!
          I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dog-ring
            The only thing I would change right now would be the shocks and springs and track bar to get away from the suspension setups they are having to use right now as RW had alluded to in another thread..........plus fix the bolt working itsef out of the oil tank box.............
            Yeah, lockwashers are a wonderful thing, aren't they?

            I have a feeling that the suspension situation may work itself out. I called a couple of chassis builders and asked them about it, and they don't think the BBSS setup will ever become the preferred setup on the new car due to the higher center of gravity. They've had the same experience with short track trucks, and some sportsman classes that have higher cages. As the year goes on, I think you'll see conventional setups at any track that isn't literally pool table smooth.
            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

            Comment


            • #7
              RW....I seem to remember the truck series teams doing that very same thing and then getting away from it......
              I think if I was Nascar I would make them put blue Locktite on the bolts, screw them in and put a propane torch on them for 30 seconds with an official standing there.....That would give the officials more to do...........
              SENسR MODERATOR......

              "Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dog-ring
                RW....I seem to remember the truck series teams doing that very same thing and then getting away from it......
                I think if I was Nascar I would make them put blue Locktite on the bolts, screw them in and put a propane torch on them for 30 seconds with an official standing there.....That would give the officials more to do...........
                Yep.

                And watching the crewmen use 1/2" breakover bars to get the lids back off would be entertaining, too.

                Did you ever try that setup when you had your truck? I've seen some of the stock-stub guys around here try it and reject it.
                "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Racewriter
                  Yep.

                  And watching the crewmen use 1/2" breakover bars to get the lids back off would be entertaining, too.

                  Did you ever try that setup when you had your truck? I've seen some of the stock-stub guys around here try it and reject it.
                  Yes we did......and the concrete walls at Raceway Park and Winchester won everytime......................
                  SENسR MODERATOR......

                  "Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                  " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I heard a Jeff Burton interview where he talked about how much more difficult to drive these are and how that was a good thing.
                    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This formerly rabid NASCAR fan will admit...

                      the COT looks better

                      and

                      appears to be a handful which leaves the wannabes fighting for 30th

                      Still too much gimmickry for my taste but NASCAR 2008 is better than NASCAR 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 etc etc


                      Im more than happy to pounce when they **** up, but I gotta admit the COT is a step in the right direction.

                      They still have a lot to fix, but at least they decided to fix something that was actually broken this time.
                      Live like Dave

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KevMcNJ
                        This formerly rabid NASCAR fan will admit...

                        the COT looks better

                        and

                        appears to be a handful which leaves the wannabes fighting for 30th

                        Still too much gimmickry for my taste but NASCAR 2008 is better than NASCAR 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 etc etc


                        Im more than happy to pounce when they **** up, but I gotta admit the COT is a step in the right direction.

                        They still have a lot to fix, but at least they decided to fix something that was actually broken this time.
                        Yeah and so far I've like the change they made where they've backed off the drivers a bit so they can actually have personalities again. That was a welcome and needed change. They were trying to stifle these great personalities that were part of what made the sport what it is today.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have noticed a couple of things. They are very sensitive to changing conditions, and once the car doesn't like the "condition" it is running in, it is harder to make pit road adjustments to make it better. It seems like you have what you have, and if you are off on the setup, you can only hope the track will come to you. If they would get away from bump stops/coil binding, and go back to old-school suspensions they would have a better chance of making mid-race adjustments work. I think in the past the strong suit of Knaus/Johnson was their ability to adjust for any circumstance, that isn't working this year. Also, last year it appeared Hendrick had the CoT to beat, and not just by a little, now I think Roush and perhaps GEM have better CoT's. Ganassi CoT's are out-to-lunch. As tired as all these teams were after two weeks out west, they showed up in full-force and tested hard at PIR, and whatever trouble Ganassi cars had on the cutters, they appeared to love PIR. One of the troubles I think Ganassi has is having is that the only veteran (?) setup guy he has is Sorenson, Dario can't help, and JPM doesn't have all that much experience either.
                          It's always been about the Indy 500!
                          I realize I have the right to remain silent, but don't have the ability or enough common sense to do so.:rolleyes:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dog-ring
                            Yes we did......and the concrete walls at Raceway Park and Winchester won everytime......................
                            Don't they always?
                            "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                            Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                            www.fairtax.org

                            Comment

                            Unconfigured Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X