• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull reevaluating Dinger team

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...16119453_x.htm

Red Bull Racing re-evaluating Allmendinger's team
    Posted 1h 49m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print |

By Jenna Fryer, AP Auto Racing Writer
    LAS VEGAS — Red Bull Racing is considering temporarily pulling A.J. Allmendinger from his Toyota as it reevaluates that struggling program.
    Allmendinger failed to qualify for Sunday's race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, making him 0-for-3 on the season. In contrast, teammate Brian Vickers has made all three races in the other Red Bull car.

"We can't keep missing races. It's just not an option," said general manager Jay Frye, hired in January to turn around the second-year Red Bull program.

"We're looking at several different ideas, all aimed at figuring out what's wrong with that program, how we can fix it and how we can get that car into races. But it can't continue the way it is. It just can't."

One of the options being considered is pulling Allmendinger from the seat and replacing him with a veteran who can help assess the program and get the car into races. Among the available drivers are Mike Skinner and Johnny Benson, who are currently both pitching in to fill an open seat at Bill Davis Racing, and Sterling Marlin and David Stremme.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Looking at his performance, I think we will see Mr. Armandinger in Indianapolis. But, not for the Brickyard, but, for the Indy 500.

Comment

Wish he could have had the lattitude of racing in the stock car pipeline like the other US OW stars ( Stewart, Gordon Khane, etc) prior to attempting CUP
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Kinda O/T (but from the linked article):
        Gordon anticipated being "really sore" on Monday when he reports to Phoenix International Raceway for two days of open testing. The hit destroyed his car and tore the transmission out from under the hood
        More proof that Hendrick Racing is cheating! How did the NASCAR inspectors miss him relocating the transmission on the 24 car? :mad:
        Or maybe the writer can't tell the difference between a radiator and a tranny?

roach

Comment

Originally posted by carl s
          Wish he could have had the lattitude of racing in the stock car pipeline like the other US OW stars ( Stewart, Gordon Khane, etc) prior to attempting CUP
          Same here... yet, w/o the ridiculous T35 being locked in he'd have made races more often than not.

Comment

Vickers is 13th in the points.
            Allmendinger has 0 points.

Comment

Actually, since owners points are used to determine the top 35, Allmendinger was 44th with 62 points coming into Las Vegas.

Owners points are given out to every car that enters before the deadline and then attempts a qualifying run.

So the car 44th in qualifying receives 31 points, 45th gets 28, 46th gets 25 and so on ...

So if he was listed as the fastest of the go or go home cars Friday, Allmendinger's No. 84 should have 93 points after three races. Unfortunately, three teams that were trailing him made the Vegas race, so he'll probably be no better than 47th heading to Atlanta.

It's a slippery slope once you start missing fields.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule
                Same here... yet, w/o the ridiculous T35 being locked in he'd have made races more often than not.
                Somebody ran the numbers here last year. The T35 only cost AJ 4 races. Most of the time, when he missed, he'd have missed under any rules.

But don't let the facts get in the way.
                "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

I kept an eye on it all season last year, and he was affected by the ridiculous rule several times.

Comment

Originally posted by jcroche
                    More proof that Hendrick Racing is cheating! How did the NASCAR inspectors miss him relocating the transmission on the 24 car? :mad:
                    Or maybe the writer can't tell the difference between a radiator and a tranny?

roach
                    I think the quote is accurate. I saw an interview with Jeff this morning and he said he knew it was a hard hit when he looked down as he was trying to gather his senses and the transmission was missing. It was a lick, for sure.

-Calhoun

Comment

Sounds like its about over for AJ. I guess he'll have to crawl back to the IRL, with all the other people that bashed it. And, he will be welcomed back with open arms, I am sure.

What does it say about your talent level in your series, when 2 of the "big stars" of that particular series (Tracy and Allmendinger) look as awful as those 2 guys looked in NASCAR? Mediocrity.
                      IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Hendricks
                        Sounds like its about over for AJ. I guess he'll have to crawl back to the IRL, with all the other people that bashed it. And, he will be welcomed back with open arms, I am sure.

What does it say about your talent level in your series, when 2 of the "big stars" of that particular series (Tracy and Allmendinger) look as awful as those 2 guys looked in NASCAR? Mediocrity.

I don't recall Dinger bashing the IRL. I may be wrong, but I don't recall it except for him calling for unification or merger.

As to your continued bashing of all things CCWS/CART, you may want to consider this:

2 of your favs, Foyt IV and Sarah, stunk in Nascar Feeder series. Dario and Sam are not in the top 35 right now either, and may very well be in Dinger's position in 2 weeks.

I hate seeing good open wheel drivers struggle in NASCAR, be it Dinger or Sam, PT or Dario. It gives open wheel a bad name to Nascar fans.
                        After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasserfan
                          I hate seeing good open wheel drivers struggle in NASCAR
                          I don't. It keeps them in open wheel where they belong.

Comment

I don't recall Dinger bashing the IRL. I may be wrong, but I don't recall it except for him calling for unification or merger.
                            'Dinger is no different than anybody else that was in CART/Champ Car or the Champ Car feeder system who had it ingrained in them to talk bad about the IRL and downgrade oval racing.

When he shows up in the IndyCar series, he'll be fine, just like every other driver that left and raced in the ICS.

Comment

1. I don't recall Dinger bashing the IRL. I may be wrong, but I don't recall it except for him calling for unification or merger.

2. 2 of your favs, Foyt IV and Sarah, stunk in Nascar Feeder series. Dario and Sam are not in the top 35 right now either, and may very well be in Dinger's position in 2 weeks.

3. I hate seeing good open wheel drivers struggle in NASCAR, be it Dinger or Sam, PT or Dario. It gives open wheel a bad name to Nascar fans.
                              1. No, he just said that the Indy 500 wasn't a big deal to him and was never a career goal for him. When that is the biggest race in AOW, and it doesn't mean much to him, then I call that a "bash". Plus, we all know his thoughts on AOW oval racing.

2. Gee, I don't remember Foyt IV and Sarah winning a bunch of races and championships in the IRL or CART/CC.

3. Yes, it gives open wheel a bad name. And, just continues to prove my point about the completely medicore talent level that the supposed top rungs of Indy Car Racin' has had for YEARS.
                              IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X