Smoke....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke....

....Shook by the impact into the "Safe Aluminum and Foam Energy Reduction" wall. They said it was made of aluminum in the explanation of what he hit. (I thought it was the "Steel And Foam Energy Reduction" wall system.) Smoke had to walk with a worker on both sides of him to a vehicle as the ambulance was at the bottom of the track. They deemed it safer for him to walk rather than have the ambulance come up fo him eventhough there was quite a delay of him exiting his car and doing a very "delicate slow" walk. I hope he is ok.
    Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

He was interviewed after the infield hosptal visit. said he was sore but okay

Second hard lick in two days for Stewart
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by beej
      He was interviewed after the infield hosptal visit. said he was sore but okay
      Thanks for the update - I missed the interview due to a problem taking me away for a short time.
      Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

2 bad hits in 2 days. Lots of right side tires poppin. He'll feel it more about Tuesday....
        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Kurt Busch is moving about the same way Smoke did. Goodyear working on a "bad year" it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by fivehundred2go
            Kurt Busch is moving about the same way Smoke did. Goodyear working on a "bad year" it seems.
            any chance the front tire failure(s) could be set-up induced?
            http://danwheldon.shutterfly.com/

Comment

Big chance! Also the driver...not everyone is blowing tires...

Comment

Originally posted by cbreez99
                Big chance! Also the driver...not everyone is blowing tires...
                There was something earlier about folks trying to shift the balance away from the rear by softening the right rear, which would transfer the load to the right front. And now we're blowing right front tires.

I suspect that everyone is still trying to figure out how to deal with the higher center of gravity - I'm far (well, extremely far) from being an expert, but I wonder if we're going to see more reliance on sway bars and roll center adjustments, especially at the front.

Comment

Tony seemed very shakey in the interview. His voice was quavering. He seemed to be really hurting and probably more than he let on.
                  Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all)
                  Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
                  Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Comment

I question what the broadcast crew said about HANS protecting Stewart. Stewart has never made a secret about the fact he does not like to wear a HANS. He wore a Hutchens (sp?) while it was still legal.

In prior seasons, after the switch to HANS, he did not wear the HANS as tight as a driver is supposed to wear it. I heard one announcer in the past say it was due to his claustrophobia.

FWIW, in the IRL, Sarah Fisher stopped wearing a HANS in 2002. I don't know it she wears one now.

I saw an ARCA driver get killed about 50 yards from me when he might have survived the accident if he had been wearing a HANS.
                    quote:
                    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Originally posted by Mindervillain
                      There was something earlier about folks trying to shift the balance away from the rear by softening the right rear, which would transfer the load to the right front. And now we're blowing right front tires.

I suspect that everyone is still trying to figure out how to deal with the higher center of gravity - I'm far (well, extremely far) from being an expert, but I wonder if we're going to see more reliance on sway bars and roll center adjustments, especially at the front.
                      I think you might see some changes. The Big Bar Soft Spring setups (aka coil bind setups) might not work as well on a car with a higher center of gravity due to its propensity to move around more and roll on its axis. We already know those setups are unstable on a rough track, and the causes might be related.

Nearly everyone who popped a RF had complained of a too-tight race car.
                      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

In a setup like this, once you hit the stops or coil bind the spring, you are using the tire for suspension. Enough load, enough flex and you generate a lot of heat.

Comment

Time to outlaw bump stops. All this nonsense with fully binded springs, shims, etc... Listen to Mikey W and get back to a spring and a shock!

Comment

Originally posted by racer1977
                            Time to outlaw bump stops. All this nonsense with fully binded springs, shims, etc... Listen to Mikey W and get back to a spring and a shock!

I never understood the logic behind using bump stops in the first place.
                            Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by nm

FWIW, in the IRL, Sarah Fisher stopped wearing a HANS in 2002. I don't know it she wears one now.
                              I believe that it is a required piece of equipment.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X