Did somebody here write this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did somebody here write this?

This is from the NSSN letters to the editor. I just thought either somebody here wrote it, or would enjoy it. Thoughts?

Letters to the Editor

November 23, 2005

The Words Of One Fan
    I have sat through 10,000 street-stock races, and I never actually went to a race intending to watch one.
    I have nearly frozen to death and have withstood 110-degree heat. I have been covered with mud and dirt. I have inadvertently eaten dirt, and purposefully drank some. I have been hit with rocks. Once, so hard I had to watch the last 10 laps of the feature with one eye closed and tears in the other.
    I have camped in near-desert conditions and in terrible rainstorms. There have been times I have sat for hours figuring ways to choke the announcer and get away with it. I have spent $20 or more for an event, watched qualifying and one heat and had the program declared complete without a refund when the rain came. I have driven 400 miles, arrived at a race track under sunny skies, and been told the race was rained out.
    I would wager that when it is all said and done, I will have spent a few years of my life hanging around race tracks waiting on the weather, and, or stock cars.
    I have drank a few cold beers with Earl Baltes, and been chewed out by one of his security people.
    I wish Tyler Walker would have stuck with sprint cars. I miss Doug Wolfgang. I am thankful I got to see Jan Opperman a few times.
    I can’t remember the exact moment I went from “anyone but” to a full-blown Steve Kinser fan.
    I cried when Jack Hewitt was interviewed sitting in his car on the starting grid at Indy.
    The night Brad Doty paced the field for the Royal, was the first time I felt OK with that event since the night he got hurt.
    I love going to a track for the first time. Even if it is a hole in the wall.
    I have actually considered relocating to a central location in either Indiana or Pennsylvania.
    Gas City (Ind.) has a great show for 10 bucks. And then there’s Bloomington, Paragon and Lincoln Park Speedways. Indiana Speedweek offers $20 admission each night. What a bargain. And it’s real sprint-car racing to boot.
    I don’t like this mentality of taking our sport to the USA Today set. I will never go to Charlotte, Texas, or any of these NASCAR money-sucking tracks.
    I will be going back to Williams Grove, Lincoln, Port Royal and the like. Even those goofy posse fans are better than the typical NASCAR knucklehead.
    I am 43 years old. I am a professional. I have all my teeth and can read. I have worked at the same company for 26 years. I am a husband and a father. I have a nice home and we drive nice vehicles. I have interests other than sprint-car racing, but none that I would endure the type of torture that I have described above to pursue.
    I love the sport. My father and I spent some of our best times together at the races. I miss him every time I go to one. My son and I have spent more one-on-one time together attending races than any other single pursuit we have had. He is 16 years old now, with bigger fish to fry, but sprint-car racing will always be in his blood.
    Everyone asks, “How do we take this thing to the next level?”
    People. This is sprint-car racing. It’s dirty, loud, and difficult to be a fan. Are you going to put every seat behind glass so Mrs. Robinson doesn’t get her hair dirty?
    I think that in the process of trying to do the impossible, big-time winged-410 sprint cars are going to become a thing of the past, or at the least, transformed into something that doesn’t resemble what we have now. There are too many people trying to make money on this sport. Sprint-car racing is not, and never will be, NASCAR.
    Here’s an idea. Charge me $20 for an adult ticket, $10 for a kid 14 or under. Pay five grand to win. Start the racing at 6 p.m. If you must have a support class, run it after the sprint-car show is finished. But if you do that, you must provide a way for the kids to get up close and personal with the drivers after the sprint-car feature. A well-run show could end before 9 p.m.
    In short, clean up your acts. Focus on what you have and treat Joe lunch box right for a change. We are your people. Quit telling us that you want more, or you could alienate us even further, and make a lot of other organizations happy.
    Remember, there is one hell of a lot of racing out there to choose from, and a lot of other things vying for our entertainment dollar.
    Steve Walterreit
    Lambertville, Mich.

Comment

Touche!
      Dwight Clock

Comment

I don't have this guy's cred, but it sure rings true with me.

Comment

Read that this past weekend, VERY COOL!
          If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

Jesus Saves! Passes to Noah.....He shoots, he scores!

Comment

Quite well said.
            "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Comment

I think I cried. I regret never seening Jan Operman up close and personal.

Outlaw

Comment

In the NSL thread, I could not resist quoting part of that letter. It was great!

Comment

Great letter...

Agree about the first visit to a new track...

Big Time Agree with his thoughts about how a track might run a show, charge a bit more, get the show in by ten (he said 9)

How in the world promoters think they are going to add "new" fans when the feature, what you paid to see, starts at midnight or after, is beyond me.

I know there are occasions where stuff just happens and nothing can be done about it. But I've seen plenty of times where they dink around, run every other feature first, then sprint A main. Why?

Oh yea...back to the letter... great
                  "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Comment

"I cried when Jack Hewitt was iterviewed sitting in his car on the starting grid at Indy"

Me too.

Someone should make an effort to find and invite this guy here.
                    ...---...

Comment

Great letter. While I attend and enjoy watching all types of racing, my hands down favorite is sprint cars. There is nothing I love more than pulling into Eldora or Bloomington or Terre Haute on a hot summer night, hearing the engines race as the cars hot lap, anticipating a great night of racing and cameraderie. Is it spring yet??????
                      It really IS all good!

Comment

I haven't received my Nov.23rd issue of NSSN yet!
                        I know what Indy means!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimer2

I haven't received my Nov.23rd issue of NSSN yet!

I received my Nov.23rd issue one day prior to receiving my Nov. 30 issue, which was earlier than normal.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎