Priced out of the market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priced out of the market

racefan20 and I kicked this idea around last summer. How many races could a fan see at their local short track using the same money they would spend to go to a "big" race? We are aware of the variables, distance, motels, etc. But more or less, I just wonder. Mr. H. said about 4 nights at Bloomington would cost as much as one NASCAR race.

I'd be willing to say that I could do a full season at Lernerville for what I spend on Indy race weekend. Fuel, hotel, race tickets, junk spending, two other races (parking, fuel, tickets, junk spending), etc. A thirty race season should only run you $500-600 depending on how many specials they run. I suppose you do have to factor in some fuel cost though.

if youa re talking the family of four, I'd bet I could do at least 10-12 nights of local action for every one big race. Figure the hotels and fuel don't cost any more for 4 than they do for 1. Of course that junk spending factor rises sharply though.
    Dan Schlosser
    Go fast, turn left !
    www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
    Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Just ticket costs - 7 or 8?

Travel related costs, food, fuel, lodging, trinkets, etc. - 10 or 12?

Depend on your definition of "BIG".

I only do two "big" events nowadays, Indy and Knoxville. Either one would cover a whole season locally. But then both of them are "getaways" with the wife, and cost accordingly.

Some local 'semi-big' events, at the Glen or Dover can be done rather economically.
      "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Comment

I have previously figured that my weekend at Bristol runs me about $800 for 4 nights, a few practices, and 2 marathon races that are jam packed with yellow flags.

(I know... but where else am I supposed to go to watch my USAC guys race?)

Anyway, I can go to Winchester or Eldora from Indy for about $75 a night, if I make it a round trip with no overnight stay.

Comment

The one time that I kept really close track of the money I spent going to races was in 1994. I spent $1000 on a four day trip to Phoenix for the Copper World including airfare, hotel, rental car, food, and souveniers. Also, an obligatory sidetrip to Manzy. I went to 64 other shows that year, most of the local variety, and spent an additional $2100. The last NASCAR Cup event I went to, other than the 2000 Daytona 500, was in Pocono. In addition to sitting in traffic for a combined 5 1/2 hours, the costs were; Gas - $35, Ticket - $75, 1 cheeseburger & coke - $9, program - $10. The decision to never attend another NASCAR Cup event - priceless.
          Dwight Clock

Comment

LOL - Dwight that is a classic line at the end. You are my hero!

Dan Schlosser
            Go fast, turn left !
            www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
            Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

Dan, I must say that Dwight was my hero before he came up with that one.

A typical weekend here is Bloomington on Friday and Lawrenceburg on Saturday. If one adds up gas/food/tickets for both nights from here, it's about a $60 weekend.

Recently 3 other fools and I went to the NASCAR race at Martinsville, and the truck race too on Saturday. Gas/tickets/food/motel/etc. (don't go there, LOL) all added up to about $420.

So, from that perspective it's about 7 weekends of short track racing, Hoosier style as opposed to one at my favorite track that NASCAR still races on.

Well, the guys and I did have fun. But most weekends I see either racefan20 or some of you folks here in Indiana. To me, that, too, is priceless.

Comment

Snagged some freebs for the Fontana IRL race, so all it cost was a couple of beers.
                Perris, probably $40 to $50.
                Ventura... Don't want to think about it.
                (We usually break out the T-Bucket and make a Pacific Coast Highway weekend out of it. )
                REAL race cars have kingpins. :p

Comment

Originally posted by dwcremax
                  The last NASCAR Cup event I went to, other than the 2000 Daytona 500, was in Pocono. In addition to sitting in traffic for a combined 5 1/2 hours, the costs were; Gas - $35, Ticket - $75, 1 cheeseburger & coke - $9, program - $10. The decision to never attend another NASCAR Cup event - priceless.
                  LOL!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X