'Little 500' - Anderson Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jandj View Post
    I recall Pocono in the 80’s having restroom attendants.
    Might need a couple guys with those long troughs.
    Live like Dave

Comment

I've been to over 50 tracks and it's still a first. Also the only place where they couldn't serve me food due to being out of paper goods as opposed to the actual food.

Comment

Originally posted by vigo003 View Post
        I've been to over 50 tracks
        ROOKIE!!

Just having fun good sir.

I think most dont hit a fraction of 50

Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
          How do they make pit stop(s?) at the little 500? Do they change tyres or just add fuel?
          Mandatory pit stop during first half and second half of the race. The figure 8 section of the infield is arranged as two pit lanes. Yes. Cars are refueled and some make tire changes. Some of the cars are equipped now with air jacks.

Comment

The Little 500 a must for any racing fan.

I've had seats in the Turn 4 stand and they are a little rickety, but I figured "they've been here all these years, so they have to be okay."

A couple highlights for me:

-The chaotic pit stops, especially with the crews madly signalling the push trucks/quads to get behind their car once fueling has been completed. That aspect adds a wacky wild-card element to the race. I can't imagine how they kept score before computer timing.
            -The nasty "Vrrrap" of the V6's, which are often in contention for the win.

Not really a highlight, but memorable for sure: the men's rest "room" behind turn 1. The urinals are basically 3 walls, under the stars, with gravel and grass at the base. I can't remember seeing anything like it at any track, and I've been to about a 100 or more in my lifetime. Maybe the architect was referencing ancient Greece or something.

We usually park at the far edge of the lot so we can get out more quickly after.

As a couple here have mentioned, if there's a rain delay or lots of yellow, you'll be dragging a bit Sunday morning.

Comment

A group of us went in 2019, it was sure an experience. The bathroom was odd to say the least.

Having been the first time to a small track for those types of cars, I was a bit shocked at the high level of fumes in the stands. It was very uncomfortable for us during the warm up laps. It seemed to air out once the race started, but it was pretty strange.

Is that normal for these types of races?

Other than that, I would highly recommend going to the race. It was very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartguy View Post
                I was a bit shocked at the high level of fumes in the stands. It was very uncomfortable for us during the warm up laps. It seemed to air out once the race started, but it was pretty strange.

Is that normal for these types of races?
                Sprint cars generally use methanol for fuel, which possesses a distinctive odor, which many of us have associated with open wheel racing over the years.

Sprinter engines, like all racing power plants, are designed to run at high RPMs, and are rather inefficient during the warm up laps, with a significant amount of un-burned fuel being exhausted through the headers. Raw, liquid methanol has a noxious odor, and will bring tears to your eyes if you get a big enough whiff.

Once the engines wind up, they are far more efficient- ideally, every last molecule would be consumed for power.

At racing speeds couple things are happening: first, with the fuel being completely burned, the odor changes to a more pleasant sweet-ish smell; secondly, the speeding cars are moving a lot more air, which contributes to greater dispersion of the methanol particles in the surrounding atmosphere.

As the race goes on, you may become aware of a couple of other scents: rubber (of course), and gear oil, which has its own acrid smell, especially when hot. If there's a caution period after a sustained period of running, the un-burned methanol smell will again increase, and, along with the those mentioned above, you'll be treated to a powerful olfactory symphony.

Back in the day, some competitors created fuel mixtures (often surreptitiously) which included toluene and/or nitromethane, which really added to the smelly fun.

Comment

TQ midgets in NJ smelled wonderful!

I always heard it was castor oil mixed in

I dont know how true that was.

I love standing next to a sprint car when they're putting heat in the motor at the beginning of the evening.

You can only hang out there for a brief moment until your stinging eyes make you retreat but it is a beautiful/terrible smell.

Live like Dave

Comment

Even plain old race gas smells good, especially if it’s the first race of the year.
                    Inside a garage though you best open the back door and let some air through.
                    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
                      Even plain old race gas smells good, especially if it’s the first race of the year.
                      Inside a garage though you best open the back door and let some air through.
                      I'm no dirt late model fan but they smell very good.

Their exhaust has a sweet smell.
                      Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I'm no dirt late model fan but they smell very good.

Their exhaust has a sweet smell.
                        Would I pay to sit in the stands and watch dirt cars with fenders?
                        No.
                        Will I stooge on one?
                        Hell yeah.
                        😉
                        “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                        I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                        I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Just checked the entry list and they have 38 entries already.
                          Entered this year are Brady Bacon (again), Emerson Axsom, and Ryan Newman along with a host of regulars including Kody Swanson and Ken Shrader. Entries from Canada and South America.
                          This is by far my favorite race of the year. I dream about it all year long. I like it better than Indy 500. The cars are better and more powerful, the drivers are cooler. The racing in traffic is 1000x better than the Indycar race.

I've seen some fantastic, exciting close finishes in the Little 500. Dave Steele's 2nd win was my favorite. He put on a masterful performance to win that one. He was sliding around like crazy on worn tires while Eric Gordon was trying his best to pass him for about 40 laps. Finally, Steele desperately needed a yellow for his pit stop so he spun out the third place car coming out of T2. After pitting under yellow he still needed to pass the field, then chase down and pass 9 time winner Eric Gordon - which he did with ease on fresh tires. Great show.

I'm excited already! Sure hope it doesn't rain.

I like sitting on the backstretch. You usually have the wind at your back and that blows all the track dirt away from you instead of into your eyes. I like to be close to the T2 end so you can feel the full throat of those big V8's as they accelerate off the corner.
                          While danger ought never to be needlessly incurred, it is yet true that the keenest zest in sport comes from its presence, and from the consequent exercise of the qualities necessary to overcome it. --Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

I love both races. Obviously the Indy 500 because it's the 500. But in a lot of ways the Little 500 is a window to an era of Indy before my time. The Hoffman car is a one of a kind design out there against old cars and new cars. There's V6s and V8s. Plenty of cars for bumping.

Comment

How is the Dynamics/Hoffman car a one of a kind design? I'd be interested to hear about that. I remember Tony Steward did pretty well with it a few years back but Brady Bacon was a bit of a disappointment. I can't remember if that was last year or the year before.
                              While danger ought never to be needlessly incurred, it is yet true that the keenest zest in sport comes from its presence, and from the consequent exercise of the qualities necessary to overcome it. --Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Don Radebaugh did an interview with Rob recently. He talks about designing and building the car for 2021 and a new one for 2022. Most pavement cars are a Beast Chassis built by Bob East. There are a few others, but that's the most popular one. The Hoffman car is basically a one of a kind house built car vs a company the reproduces the same design for an open market to purchase. Chet Fillip had something similar there a few years back.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X