Daison Pursley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daison Pursley

I understand this young man has a "severe spinal cord injury" according to his mother following a USAC Midget crash last night at Arizona Speedway. Any updates would be appreciated.

Prayers to the Pursley family and all involved.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

His Facebook page has updates.

Theyre hoping for more movement and less tingling which is hopeful I suppose

Theres video online. He took a nasty ride for sure.
    Live like Dave

Comment

A couple weeks ago during the Short Track Nationals at I-30 (a ASCS 360 winged sprint race), I saw 13 year old Landon Crawley go for an absolutely hellacious ride over the birm and damn near into the woods. I have a really hard time being OK with seeing kids race full size race cars. They don't have the ability to consent willingly to sex or to drink alcohol, I don't understand how or why it is appropriate for them to sit in high powered race cars. And in turn, I think having all these kids in race cars hurts motorsports by encourging the Keith Kunzes of the world to sell expensive seats to rich kids rather than do any of the hard work once associated with running a racing team.

Comment

Broke two of his C vertebrae. They are fusing them. Don’t know exactly what that would mean for his future as an open wheel dirt tracker.
        "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
        "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
        "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
          Broke two of his C vertebrae. They are fusing them. Don’t know exactly what that would mean for his future as an open wheel dirt tracker.
          It was C4 and C5, and his future as far as "being alive" is what's at stake that high up given that there's a cord injury. In the best case scenario, he's probably going to be quadraplegic.

Comment

That’s pretty sad. I was hoping he was in better shape than that. I knew a Pursley who was a top NASCAR West driver in the 90s from California but I don’t know if there was any connection with this boy. He’s been on the gas for a couple years now in the midgets.
            "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
            "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
            "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Cant swallow and having trouble with left side of his body according to updates on his social media
              Live like Dave

Comment

That’s pretty sad. I was hoping he was in better shape than that. I knew a Pursley who was a top NASCAR West driver in the 90s from California but I don’t know if there was any connection with this boy. He’s been on the gas for a couple years now in the midgets.
                Greg Pursley is the stock car driver. Daison is from Oklahoma.

"Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the severity of his injury or not... but maybe in a serious accident track personnel shouldn't rush to the scene and flip the car upright 15 seconds after it stops moving and before any medical personnel arrives on the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowe74 View Post
                    I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the severity of his injury or not... but maybe in a serious accident track personnel shouldn't rush to the scene and flip the car upright 15 seconds after it stops moving and before any medical personnel arrives on the scene.
                    You’re right, I don’t think they should do that unless the driver gives them the OK or if it appears a fire is imminent if it stays upside down.

Comment

You’re right, I don’t think they should do that unless the driver gives them the OK or if it appears a fire is imminent if it stays upside down.
                      They did the exact same thing this past weekend at Placerville when another young midget driver ended having to spend the night in the hospital.

Comment

Getting around with a walker in physical therapy according to his Facebook page.

Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                          Getting around with a walker in physical therapy according to his Facebook page.
                          He's EXTREMELY lucky. Sounds like the cord was bruised but not severed. He damn near died. It still bothers me that a 16 year old kid is in this scenario, but I guess I should just get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualBalboa View Post

He's EXTREMELY lucky. Sounds like the cord was bruised but not severed. He damn near died. It still bothers me that a 16 year old kid is in this scenario, but I guess I should just get used to it.
                            Our little unimportant series is looking at dropping the minimum age. Its 18 now but the kids racing at the lower levels here wont wait until they're 18 to run with us.

They will skip us entirely and move the next rung up instead.

The race director and I dont like the idea of kids in full size race cars on full size tracks.

The others in the Brain Trust are all for lowering the age limit.

Race director and I are both 56. The others are in their 30s.

I say it's a generational thing.

Kids have always raced full size cars in their world.
                            Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Race director and I are both 56. The others are in their 30s.

I say it's a generational thing.

Kids have always raced full size cars in their world.
                              Just because that's the way it is doesn't mean it's right or good. Similarly, say you drop it and you get some of those kids coming in. Will their parents spend so much it eliminates the cars you already have?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X