Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th Budweiser Oval Nationals

EIu2EaZU0AAWAGd.jpg:large.jpg
    This picture is from @USACRacing. It shows the turnout for practice night.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls,The United States Auto Club Proudly Presents the 24th Budweiser Oval Nationals at Perris Auto Speedway!

The Drivers and Teams from the Amsoil USAC National Sprint Car Series, the USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series, and the Sands Chevrolet SouthWest Sprint Cars have invaded Perris and will put on quite the show at the high-speed, wide open big half mile track.

More than 40 cars are entered for this year’s Oval Nationals with three complete nights of racing action over the next three nights, November 7-8-9 at Perris. Cars hit the track at 5:30pm Pacific.
    If you are unable to make it to the track, all the action can be watched live on FloRacing, listened to live on the USAC app with live timing and scoring available on both the USAC and Race-Monitor apps.
    http://usacracing.com/news/item/8883...practice-night
    Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

USAC AMSOIL NATIONAL, CRA & SANDS CHEVROLET SOUTHWEST SPRINT CAR PRACTICE RESULTS: November 6, 2019 – Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, California – 24th Budweiser Oval Nationals presented by All Coast Construction
    PRACTICE:
    1. Kevin Thomas, Jr., 19, Hayward/Thomas-16.214;
    2. Chris Windom, 5G, Parallax/Goacher-16.330;
    3. Brady Bacon, 69, Dynamics-16.373;
    4. C.J. Leary, 19AZ, Reinbold/Underwood-16.384;
    5. Tyler Courtney, 7BC, Clauson/Marshall/Newman-16.417;
    6. Austin Williams, 92, Sertich-16.467;
    7. Richard Vander Weerd, 10, Vander Weerd-16.470;
    8. Justin Grant, 4, TOPP-16.485;
    9. Max Adams, 73T, Ford-16.534;
    10. Damion Gardner, 4, Alexander-16.553;
    11. Logan Seavey, 19x, Reinbold/Underwood-16.582;
    12. Chase Stockon, 32, 32 TBI-16.616;
    13. Chase Johnson, 68, Thomas-16.653;
    14. Thomas Meseraull, 13m, Gile-16.656;
    15. Bud Kaeding, 0, Williams-16.660;
    16. Cody Williams, 44, Williams-16.728;
    17. Charles Davis, Jr., 47, Davis-16.731;
    18. Austin Liggett, 83, Liggett-16.775;
    19. Jason McDougal, 42x, Cheney-16.777;
    20. Eddie Tafoya, Jr., 51T, Tafoya-16.835;
    21. Sterling Cling, 34, Cling-16.900;
    22. Jace Vander Weerd, 88, Vander Weerd-16.992;
    23. Chris Gansen, 4G, Gansen-16.999;
    24. Hunter Schuerenberg, 19s, Reinbold/Underwood-17.018;
    25. Stevie Sussex, 12, Allen-17.028;
    26. Matt McCarthy, 28m, McCarthy-17.111;
    27. Dennis Gile, 13G, Gile-17.197;
    28. Chris Bonneau, 15, Bonneau-17.308;
    29. Verne Sweeney, 98, Tracy-17.727;
    30. Jake Swanson, 34AZ, Grau/Burkhart-NT;
    31. Tye Mihocko, 5, Mihocko-NT.
    http://usacracing.com/news/item/8883...practice-night
    Last edited by Gateway Fan; 11-07-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Night 1 went to "The Macho Man" Brady Bacon. Our own Richie with the details here. https://usacracing.com/news/sprint-c...l-nats-night-1

abdad7e2baffe285054c300aa4f02328_XL.jpg
      Photo from the USACRacing.com link.

I will be attending nights 2 and 3 and will try to bring some insights here when I get the chance.

Results from the above link.

BILL PRATT FEATURE: (30 laps, starting position in parentheses)
      1. Brady Bacon (1),
      2. Chris Windom (2),
      3. Richard Vander Weerd (3),
      4. Damion Gardner (4),
      5. C.J. Leary (6),
      6. Justin Grant (11),
      7. Jace Vander Weerd (7),
      8. Tyler Courtney (5),
      9. Kevin Thomas, Jr. (9),
      10. Austin Williams (16),
      11. Chase Stockon (14),
      12. Hunter Schuerenberg (23),
      13. Brody Roa (21),
      14. Tommy Malcolm (17),
      15. Jake Swanson (18),
      16. Thomas Meseraull (12),
      17. Bud Kaeding (10),
      18. Cody Williams (15),
      19. Charles Davis, Jr. (22),
      20. Max Adams (13),
      21. Logan Seavey (8),
      22. Austin Liggett (24),
      23. Stevie Sussex (19),
      24. R.J. Johnson (20),
      25. Josh Hodges (25),
      26. Eddie Tafoya, Jr. (28),
      27. Chris Gansen (26),
      28. Dennis Gile (27).
      NT

Comment

OVAL NATIONALS POINTS:

(After Night 1 of 3)

1. (144) Chris Windom

2. (140) Brady Bacon

3. (140) Damion Gardner

4. (136) Richard Vander Weerd

5. (135) C.J. Leary

6. (129) Tyler Courtney

7. (126) Justin Grant

8. (119) Jace Vander Weerd

9. (117) Kevin Thomas, Jr.

10. (108) Chase Stockon

11. (108) Hunter Schuerenberg

12. (106) Brody Roa

13. (105) Austin Williams

14. (100) Tommy Malcolm

15. (98) Thomas Meseraull

16. (97) Bud Kaeding

17. (96) Charles Davis, Jr.

18. (96) Cody Williams

19. (94) Jake Swanson

20. (91) Logan Seavey

21. (87) Max Adams

22. (84) Austin Liggett

23. (84) R.J. Johnson

24. (82) Stevie Sussex

25. (60) Chris Gansen

26. (59) Josh Hodges

27. (58) Chris Bonneau

28. (57) Donnie Gansen

29. (56) Dennis Gile

30. (55) Jeremy Ellertson

31. (54) Steve Hix

32. (53) Eddie Tafoya, Jr.

33. (52) Bill Rose

34. (51) Matt McCarthy

35. (50) Tye Mihocko

36. (49) Joel Rayborne

37. (48) Frank Rodgers III

38. (47) Verne Sweeney

39. (0) Chase Johnson

40. (0) Jason McDougal

41. (0) Sterling Cling

42. (0) Will Perkins
        https://www.floracing.com/articles/6...-after-night-1

Comment

CJ Leary wins it!!!

Comment

I love the pictures from some of the tracks out west like Perris, Ventura, and Calistoga. Unbelievable how scenic some of those tracks are compared to what I'm used to.

Comment

Originally posted by vigo003 View Post
              I love the pictures from some of the tracks out west like Perris, Ventura, and Calistoga. Unbelievable how scenic some of those tracks are compared to what I'm used to.
              Plus, Perris is the only track I've attended that sells wine.

Comment

Friday night the track was dry-slick. There were strong winds all day and it did not seem to matter how much water was put down, it dried out quickly. The racing was still pretty good as the entire surface was usable. I always like it when multiple lines are available. Brady Bacon once again was the dominant car all night long. I felt bad for Chris Windom as he had the fastest car, when it ran. Fastest in Hot Laps, Quick Time! Started the first Heat, and the engine quit on lap 4. He went to the B, where they lined up based on Quals, and ran away from the field. I thought they had it figured out. However, in the feature the engine quit again.

Saturday was better racing conditions all around. I spoke with several drivers before hand and they all said the track was going to be great. It seems, dirt track drivers know what a good track looks like. You could tell this was the final night of a multi-day event by the way every lap was contested. Since only two transferred from each heat, everyone was trying to get to the front as quickly as possible. This made for some great battles throughout the field of each event. 6 were in from the prelim nights, plus 2 each from 4 heats. That left the remaining spots to be settled in 2 B-Mains. Both races had real contenders who ran it like the big check was waiting at the end of the 12 lapper. The 40 lap main event was filled with great battles. Leary was challenged, but held on throughout.

This was our first trip to what is now our local track. Perris Auto Speedway is a very nice facility. It was built in the mid-90s and has been well cared for. The grandstands are in very good shape. With the raised back stretch, you can see the entire track from most everywhere. Friday night we sat directly behind the flagstand and had unobstructed views of everything except the victory lane podium. The flagman barricade bars were a slight block (and I am not complaining about that as these bars protect the flagman.) There are several permanent concession stands, and the restrooms were clean and completely functional (not always the case at every dirt track I've been to.) Everywhere that you would walk or those on mobility scooters would roll is paved or covered in traction accessible aluminum. Access to the stands was by ramps and the bottom row was set up for mobility scooters, and wheel chair access with some seats for those accompanying. Overall I would have to give the facilities an A+.

As always, the USAC drivers were accessible and engaging. They collectively seem genuinely happy to to talk about racing and really appreciate that people come out to see them race.

Leary and his team deserve a lot of credit. Not only did they win the event, they entered 3 cars and had all of them in the feature on Saturday night. And, they did it without compromising CJ's chances when he is fighting for the championship. I suspect it would have been much easier to just focus on the one car, but they treated the event like a big deal and brought extra equipment and gave a couple of extra drivers a chance to compete. Unfortunately, Hunter Schurenburg had engine trouble in the feature and Logan Seavey had some bad luck that doomed his chances. (After the race I was talking to Seavey when a guy walked up with a blown up picture of him driving his Keith Kunz Racing Midget on the fence from last year. He thought it was hilarious and signed the picture.)

Having three series run the same event was good for car counts if nothing else. The USAC/CRA and USAC Southwest drivers and teams would like to race more. I heard several comment on how hard it is to compete with the national teams when they do not have the opportunity to run more than a few times a month and the national guys are racing 60-80 times a year. Hopefully, more events can get on the schedules out here and give these guys the chance to run. Otherwise, they will likely have to move to Indiana to get the opportunities. When they qualified the national drivers were not only listed as to their place in the national points in sprints, midgets and Silver Crown, but also the local track championships they won this year. It was quite a list for several drivers.

Good luck to everyone at Arizona Speedway next weekend. Unfortunately, it is a little to far for me to make the trip this year.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X