Will Toyota get involved in SC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Toyota get involved in SC?

Interestingly, Toyota could be our best bet to reestablish the connection between Indy car racing and the short tracks.

Once Toyota enters NASCAR, its block will be eligible for SC. The SC engines require iron blocks with 355 displacement - basically they are WC blocks, injected, on alcohol.

Ford has brought their new block into SC (go JJ!), Mopar has brought their block in, why shouldn't Toyota?

Chevy hasn't been proactive in marketing through SC/USAC, but Mopar/Chrysler has and Ford clearly is getting more direct in their involvement. The problem is that they aren't involved in the IRL.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it is Toyota's involvement in both USAC and the IRL that brings the two together?

Hmmmm.....
    Professor Joe
    Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Re: Will Toyota get involved in SC?

Originally posted by Professor Joe
    Interestingly, Toyota could be our best bet to reestablish the connection between Indy car racing and the short tracks.

Once Toyota enters NASCAR, its block will be eligible for SC. The SC engines require iron blocks with 355 displacement - basically they are WC blocks, injected, on alcohol.

Ford has brought their new block into SC (go JJ!), Mopar has brought their block in, why shouldn't Toyota?

Chevy hasn't been proactive in marketing through SC/USAC, but Mopar/Chrysler has and Ford clearly is getting more direct in their involvement. The problem is that they aren't involved in the IRL.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it is Toyota's involvement in both USAC and the IRL that brings the two together?

Hmmmm.....
    Stranger things have happened Joe.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

remember Pearl Harbor.........................
      SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
      " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

I don't like the picture that paints in my mind.
        "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
        With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

I don't see it happening. Toyota probably thinks Silver Crown is a cheap malt liquor.

Comment

Lee White commented that, by the 2004-5 offseason, short track racers will be able to send TRD their rules, and TRD will build engines for them. "We're extremely interested in grassroots short track racing," he said.

He also noted that by June 2004, parts would be available through normal distribution channels for CTS teams (or anyone else who can use them) to build Toyota 355 V-8's.

August 2003 Stock Car Racing Magazine.

I would expect a Toyota presence in USAC. They may, however, phase out their Indy involvement by '07.
            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

That SCR Mag article had me wondering aloud on this very topic.
              If TRD is truly interested in grooming young talent for their FranceCar effort, then there is really only one place to setup shop... and that's in the USAC SC Series.

I would welcome it & enjoy watching GM move on down from 3rd to 4th on the USAC totem pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                {Toyota} may, however, phase out their Indy involvement by '07.
                I don't know. Toyota has a strong connection to marketing through road racing. If Indy cars are moving that way (PLEASE, IN A SEPARATE SERIES!), then Toyota may stay involved.

It really depends whether Indy car racing builds any market share at all to give Toyota the ROI to reach a niche market.

Professor Joe
                Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

Remember Pearl Harbor...

Dog-Ring,

It will be tough for some to remember Pearl Harbor when most of the "Liberals" in this country seem to have already forgotten 9-11! :mad:

I'm just wondering what Toyota would stand to gain by getting involved in USAC Silver Crown racing??? As a manufacturer, they would get very little exposure with the few venues the division runs and limited television coverage.
                  Last edited by 17tobyracing74; 08-14-2003, 11:29 AM.
                  "In memory of #17 Ronnie & Dick "Toby" Tobias."

Comment

I recall an article somewhere saying that Toyota wanted to run their NASCAR engine department the same way they do it in the IRL; aka, everything gets built at TRD and the teams don't touch it.

Sure, I know that's not the way things are done in NASCAR. But with enough money, it could be.

It does interest me to see how NASCAR will handle the foreign manufactuers, and whether they will stand firm (as the IRL SHOULD have done) and do things they way they have for years, or if they will give in to the $$$ like the IRL and CART did.
                    http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                      I recall an article somewhere saying that Toyota wanted to run their NASCAR engine department the same way they do it in the IRL; aka, everything gets built at TRD and the teams don't touch it.

Sure, I know that's not the way things are done in NASCAR. But with enough money, it could be.

It does interest me to see how NASCAR will handle the foreign manufactuers, and whether they will stand firm (as the IRL SHOULD have done) and do things they way they have for years, or if they will give in to the $$$ like the IRL and CART did.
                      That's the opposite of what White and Aust said in the SCR article. It's also opposite of what the Truck division director said was going to happen. I believe his words were, "We have a box, and they're going to fit their program into it."

White and Aust said that it is true that the first Toyota truck teams would be the six "factory" entries, and that TRD would build their engines. They also said that by midseason, teams and builders would be able to buy the parts to build Toyota engines, or TRD would have engines for sale.

For those who will say, "Yeah, that's what they told the IRL, too," my response is: No, they didn't. White said exactly what their program would be, and so it is - as summed up by my sig.
                      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

I am not sure what it would take for me to root for a Toyota in nascar, but it would have to be pretty big.
                        Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

The sneak attack is on..................
                          SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                          " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

I am just a poor, dumb Hoosier, so I need to be educated. Dog, of course we recall Pearl Harbor. Is this a comment on Toyota's business practices? If so, let's not just limit that to Toyota, and also include others, be they American, German, or whatever. Is this a comment on events of history and former enemies? If so, let us also include Germany, Italy, Great Britain, and the southern U.S., among others.

Rich, what liberals? Who in particular has forgotten 9-11? I'm a confirmed political moderate/cynic and have no plans to forget. But I'm just curious.

And finally, Toyota entering SC or short track racing. Isn't competition what it's all about? Bring 'em on. Let Yankee ingenuity shopw its best side, something that hasn't happened like it should for some time, no matter who was President, or in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                              White and Aust said that it is true that the first Toyota truck teams would be the six "factory" entries, and that TRD would build their engines. They also said that by midseason, teams and builders would be able to buy the parts to build Toyota engines, or TRD would have engines for sale.
                              I will be stunned if you will be able to buy the same parts TRD uses.

I'll also be stunned if anyone actually bothers to try to build a better Toyota than TRD.

Sure, I know it's supposedly in NASCAR's rulebook.

But I've been wrong before - and you can ask my wife!
                              http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X