Dirt/Circle Track fuel capacities and reqirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt/Circle Track fuel capacities and reqirements

I was reading an article about JJ's triple crown threat and in a sidebar were the generalized specs for USAC Silver Crown, Sprints, and Midgets with fuel capacity listed as 75 gal max, 28 gal min, and 18gal min respectively.

Could anyone flesh Dirt/Circle fuel reqirements out a little bit more? For example how much fuel would a 360 sprint car need for their longest races. How much fuel do the Outlaws generally need? Supermodifieds? Your various local dirt track type modifieds? Etc...
    "Our goal in five years is to be the premier motor sports series in the world. Yes, that means when compared to NASCAR and Formula One." - Tony George - May 21, 2002

Well, from what I have seen, as for the WoO, if they have to go more than 20 laps, they hope for a red so they can re-fuel. Sickening!

Comment

I've noticed quite a few sprints running mains of less than 50 laps running midget tails, so obviously they are running smaller tanks as well, but I don't remember what the normal capacities are.
      Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

the dirt cars have a 75 gal capacity maximum, IIRC the rule book right.

Normal capacity for most sprinters is 30 gallons, midgets can carry 30 as well.

I think, but am not sure, that the bigger sprint tail adds about 5 gallons.
        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Here's a link that shows some different styles and capacities:

Saldana Racing Products

jcr

Comment

I might add I have seen the dirt cars use smaller tanks on smaller tracks. I remember Jimmy Sills used a 52 gallon tank one night while driving for Gary Stanton, he ran out.
            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Checked with a local team that does very well in both Sprints and Supers. They use a Standard Saldana Tank on the Eagle Sprint Car Chassis. That's about 33 gallons. On the Supermodifieds, They use a 30 gallon rear cell plus an 18 gallon side cell. A typical night of racing (practice, Quals, heat, and 40 lap main uses about 40 gallons on the Super and 5 or so less on the Sprint (410 vs 360 plus shorter practices for the sprints). A typical 40 lap Supermod main on a half mile runs about 18 gallons including yellows. That works out to about 1.2 miles per gallon of methanol.
              A good race driver, given adequate seat time, can drive any well prepared racecar on any track surface or configuration at competitive speeds. Remember, I said a GOOD race driver!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X