Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIRT cheap?

Thanks to our friends at Syracuse.com
    Texas based BMSR is in negotiations with Glenn Donnely to buy DIRT and take it to the top.
    http://www.syracuse.com/motorsports/...8711190931.xml

carl s
    Indio, CA
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

???

I've been watching the potential buyout of DIRT Motorsports for a number of years and the question that has never been answered in public is exactly what is being sold? Consider that the DIRT organization only owns one race track outright, that being Rolling Wheels Raceway in Elbridge, NY and that is currently only being used periodically for "special" mid-week shows. All other tracks are under an annual contract to race under the DIRT banner and no modified race teams are tied to DIRT contractually.
    "In memory of #17 Ronnie & Dick "Toby" Tobias."

Comment

Like we need another dirt track in north Texas. What we need is for someone to build us a paved 3/8 or 1/2 so we can't get some cars in here that we haven't seen. I love dirt tracks but we already have around 10 of them within a short drive of DFW. The nearest paved short ovals are Austin (Kyle) and Wichita Falls both over 100 miles away.
      Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Texas Dirt Track

I don't think the plan is to build another dirt track in Texas. DIRT Motorsports is strictly a sanctioning body, primarily for Northeastern Type Dirt Modifieds (Sportsman, 358 Small Blocks, and Big Blocks). It would be more likely that BMSR would some how attempt to use the DIRT banner to sanction modified racing at the existing dirt tracks in Texas or where ever else they consider there to be market for this type of racing.

Glen Donnelly has attempted for many years to get the dirt modified division to expand its' competition base throughout more parts of the country, with limited success. It is true that the division is strong in NY, PA, NJ, DE, and parts of Ohio and Canada. However, they have run in the Carolinas, Florida, and Texas in the past with limited interest. Their weekly television show, "This Week On DIRT", has been bounced around from local tv channels to a couple of cable networks, but it can not generate the ratings to find a permanent home. DIRT has even attempted live racing broadcasts with its' "Rush Hour On DIRT" races, including Syracuse's Super DIRT Week events, and all it really has done is hurt ticket sales for the events.

Many of the non-DIRT sanctioned tracks do not run under the same modified rules as the DIRT sanctioned tracks, especially in PA. This has hurt car counts at a few tracks. Also, purse sizes are the same as they were in the early 90's and we all know the cost of racing has continued to grow. There are a number of really big named modified drivers that no longer follow the DIRT schedule, including Tobias, Brightbill, Hoffman, Cozze, Pauch, Trombley, etc.

Attendance has been so bad (matching the racing, which has limited passing) at Syracuse recently that DIRT is not holding its' annual races at the mile for Independence Day or Labor Day. Super DIRT Week will be at Syracuse in 2003, but there are rumors of a venue change for 2004.

I would have to believe that Glen is attempting to unload DIRT Motorsports while he can still get something for it. Wouldn't he keep it if he thought it was a cash cow?
        "In memory of #17 Ronnie & Dick "Toby" Tobias."

Comment

The latest rumor, and its just that, a rumor is that the State of New York which owns the Syracuse Mile wants to tear it down in a couple years and use the land for an arena of some sort.

Supposedly when this happens Rolling Wheels Raceway which is less than 10 miles away will be expanded to a 3/4 mile dirt oval and Super DIRT week will continue there.

Honestly the Mile and the entire Fairgrounds it sits on is a toilet.

I've gone up twice for the Saturday races and its dirty and muddy.
          Live like Dave

Comment

They did DIRT South a few years ago, but it was the existing Texas Winged Modifieds with small blocks. That division has all but died out and there are a lot of tracks running sprint cars that used to run the modifieds. I would be really surprised if they could revive that series, although at one time they had as many as 100 in the pits. They still run at a couple of tracks, but from what I read in the paper and have seen run, those races have VERY limited fields and not top notch equipment at all.

Comment

Well, if they are going to make "The Wheels" bigger, I sure hope that they put in a complete new surface, and maintain it the way they should. Methinks there are more complaints about that track than any other in the DIRT organization - and DIRT is owner/part owner of "The Wheels"? I can see big traffic problems coming to Elbridge, if and when they use that track for "SDS". Remember the "Sobriety Checks"? LOL!!

Comment

One problem with expanding DIRT to other parts of the country is that the teams have to come from somewhere. They don't just materialize out of thin air. That means that someone racing a late model, sprint or IMCA modified has to convert his team to the DIRT spec, which means that DIRT can only gain new teams mostly by shrinking the car count of other divisions.

I also read that this same outfit is looking to buy WoO. What might they really be up to?
                Definition of support series: A series that needs the support of the headliner class to draw a crowd.

Comment

DonnieB, that was the problem in Texas before. And they already ran modifieds. The problem was the DIRT mods were big block, no wing and the Texas mods were small block w/wings. At a few TXvsPA races in Florida during speedweeks, they ran Texas rules in the heats and the Texas guys did great. But the features were DIRT rules and they blew the small blocks set up for wings, but without them off the tracks.

Comment

I do recall when the Nazareth Mile was still dirt a couple Texas modified teams showed up for a Mod 100 lapper.

The name Eldon Dotson rings a bell. I think he was one of the Texans.

The cars sorta resembled NE mods, but were narrower IIRC.
                    Live like Dave

Comment

That's right Kevin, they were narrower. They didn't need the wide bodies because of the wings. Eldon was really fast, but word was that he spent way more than anyone else. I never met him, but have friends that did know him and they liked him. Back when I remember him running, it was not unheard of for local 1/4 dirt tracks to have 100 winged modifieds show up.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ
                        I do recall when the Nazareth Mile was still dirt a couple Texas modified teams showed up for a Mod 100 lapper.

The name Eldon Dotson rings a bell. I think he was one of the Texans.

The cars sorta resembled NE mods, but were narrower IIRC.
                        Eldon could drive a Texas Super:
                        (The supers by then had evolved into Edmunds type rigs and close to full sprint cars)

Take a look at Eldon - down towards the bottom of the page:
                        Thanks to our friends at "Racercity.Com"
                        http://www.racercity.com/members/fan.../index40.shtml

carl s
                        Indio, CA

Comment

One of the last pics on page 7 of Texas Supers is Chet Fillip's dad Marvin. They probably still have that car. I saw it race several times in Lubbock. Wasn't that fast when I saw it, but it was already an old race car by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161
                            One of the last pics on page 7 of Texas Supers is Chet Fillip's dad Marvin. They probably still have that car. I saw it race several times in Lubbock. Wasn't that fast when I saw it, but it was already an old race car by then.
                            Sweet lookin car

The best of open wheel culture

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X