Carl Edwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Edwards?

The guy who came out of nowhere last night was Carl Edwards. He ran a great race.

A bio piece here: Carl Edwards story says that he ran some USAC-SC in 2001, but I don't remember him. Can anyone give any more info on him or on the apparently brand new car he drove last night?

Professor Joe
    Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Carl was the only racer I can remember that used to advertise in NSSN's want ads. He listed his experience in the ad, telling prospective owners that he could drive a little bit and they would do well to hire him. I chuckled a bit every time I saw that, but have always admired the kid for his burning desire to advance his career. I'm not chuckling any more. Instead, I'm smiling because this seems to be the kind of young man that racing needs, no matter what kind of car he drives.

BTW, Joe I was glad to see you out and about again. May I recommend Putt-Putt? ...easier on the knees.

Comment

I remember in 2001, Carl ran the #80 Beast Silver Crown car that was previously owned by Beach. Billy Puterbaugh, Jr. had driven that car up until that year. In 2002, he ran a limited silver crown schedule in the Randol #95.

He is now a very good NASCAR Truck Series competitor with one win at Kentucky this year to his credit and is sitting in the top 10 in points with Jack Roush Racing this year.

But, I will always remember his name from when he was a teenager, about 16 years old at the time, he put his picture and his name in the classifieds of National Speed Sport News under "rides wanted." His name was probably in there for about a year and a half, it seemed like.
      If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Carl Edwards

Thanks guys. I kept wondering everytime I hear his name in the truck series and last night as well if that was the same Carl Edwards that I remembered advertising in NSSN. Glad to see it's working out for him. He drove a good race last night.

Comment

Here's a good story about Carl:

http://www.racingnewsonline.com/story.do?id=55566

Comment

...and guess who won tonight's truck race at IRP.

Carl Edwards!

Comment

and didn't he finish third in the SC race on Thursday night?
              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Si, Senor Moderator. He started and ran up front all night. He was among those who passed David Steele. That in itself was impressive.

Comment

Carl started out running Baby Grands on asphalt in Missouri, and ran Modifieds at Capital Speedway in Holt's Summit, MO. Ran pretty well and won a couple of features. First time I saw him was an MLRA race in 2000 at Sedalia. Hopped into Steve Payne's backup Late Model - AFAIK, the first time he'd ever run a LM - and ended up sixth in a very stellar field.

Yeah, I remember the ads, too. He's still got a Mod, and has run at Capital twice this year - a 2nd and a 3rd.
                  "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Quite a talent, what a great story... And what a great job he did in victory lane, covered all bases, including the "Cat in the Hat"....
                    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Originally posted by DannyB
                      Carl was the only racer I can remember that used to advertise in NSSN's want ads.
                      HOLY *****!!! That WAS him wasn't it?
                      I just KNEW that I recognized him when I saw the stills of him at the first CTS race of the season, but I couldn't remember where I had seen him at.

Comment

OK, Carl Edwards-a guy who seems to have come out of no where, and that's probably true to an extent.

But here's a guy whose run just about everything on every type of surface, dirt or pavement.

You'd be interested to know he ran Mike Radol's SC car last year (a car formerly owned by Gene Beach, and driven at times by Robby Flock and Donnie Beechler)

With extremely limited experience in the big cars on dirt, he made the top 20 and finished 10th at Springfield, and made the top 20 and finished 12th, on the lead lap at DuQuoin. I have no doubt with more experience, and better equipment, he might have become a winner in the division.

Nice to see him win in the trucks.
                        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99
                          With extremely limited experience in the big cars on dirt, he made the top 20 and finished 10th at Springfield, and made the top 20 and finished 12th, on the lead lap at DuQuoin. I have no doubt with more experience, and better equipment, he might have become a winner in the division.

First of all, I wouldn't get out the "might have" thing yet. He's 23, and he came pretty close to a win last week.

Second, OF COURSE he's good. We grow 'em tough around here.
                          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

EZ son, EZ.

I suspect that if he continues, his appearances in the SC cars will be very few and far between, if non-existent. Can't see his NASCAR owner being too excited about him running at DuQuoin or Springfield in one of the big cars.

But he did a nice job last year, kept his nose clean and watched what others did.
                            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99
                              EZ son, EZ.

I suspect that if he continues, his appearances in the SC cars will be very few and far between, if non-existent. Can't see his NASCAR owner being too excited about him running at DuQuoin or Springfield in one of the big cars.

But he did a nice job last year, kept his nose clean and watched what others did.
                              SON????

Aw, ya old [email protected]

Just yankin' your chain a tad, Belanger. I know what you're saying, but I think he'll have another couple of years before he's called all the way up.

Even so, he'll probably still run a Modified.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X