RuSport News?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RuSport News?

I thought I heard Robin say they were going to make an announcement concerning sponsorship before the Mexico City race?

Likely the long talked about Red Bull thing.

Wonder what the delay is.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Comment

I dont think any announcement was scheduled?

Some were hoping for an announcement on the podium or something when they pulled the 1-2, but i never heard any official plans for a sponsor announcement for 06.

Comment

I think Robin has been talking really lofty lately about RuSport and a potential "big sponsor" lately. He said there was going to be an announcement at MC (that didn't pan out) then he said some stuff on the podium on Speed TV about "if they get a big sponsor next year, watch out for Rusport".

Right now, it sounds like wishful thinking. The big $8 mill to $12 mill deals aren't out there for Champ Car (and most IRL) teams. That is, if RuSport wants to compete with Newman-Haas. If RuSport runs a one-off at Indy, though, they could get that "big deal" Robin speaks of.

Comment

If I were a CCWS fan, RuSport would be my team.
          "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
          -Norman Mailer-

Comment

I dont know how running at Indy will get any CCWS team a big sponsor. It doesnt get some IndyCar teams big sponsors, after all. It got NHR an associate... and they are Newman Haas.

Comment

It got NHR an associate... and they are Newman Haas.
              Herein lies the problem....

The biggest sponsorship deals outside of the teams owned by Kalkhoven, Forsythe, and Gentilozzi (and Newman Haas) in Champ Car are equal to associate sponsor deals for the top six IRL teams (AGR, TCGR, Penske, Rahal, Cheever*, Panther*, and Fernandez).

Newman-Haas has Paul Newman to pitch the deal. Kalkhoven, Forsythe, and Gentilozzi have personal money plus loose "IRL associate level" deals with companies they have personal ties with. Beyond that, a RuSport would have to include an appearance at Indianapolis in to get that $8MM to $12MM deal to make them competitive with Newman-Haas.

Indianapolis is the only open wheel race that gets beyond a 2.0 in the TV ratings, so it would matter to a MAJOR corporate sponsor to have Indy in the mix. Without it, they could get $2 million a car and Carl Russo would be out of pocket (like this year) to be competitive.

Toss in Indy, get a few Panoz and Toyotas, paint those sidepods. If showing up is 90% of the deal to make the sponsor happy and get you in that rarified air of a Newman-Haas, then bite the bullet. A stubborn philosophy over motorsports should never get in the way of running in motorsport's biggest show. The sponsors want it, do it.

Comment

Beyond that, a RuSport would have to include an appearance at Indianapolis in to get that $8MM to $12MM deal to make them competitive with Newman-Haas.

Indianapolis is the only open wheel race that gets beyond a 2.0 in the TV ratings, so it would matter to a MAJOR corporate sponsor to have Indy in the mix. Without it, they could get $2 million a car and Carl Russo would be out of pocket (like this year) to be competitive.

Toss in Indy, get a few Panoz and Toyotas, paint those sidepods. If showing up is 90% of the deal to make the sponsor happy and get you in that rarified air of a Newman-Haas, then bite the bullet. A stubborn philosophy over motorsports should never get in the way of running in motorsport's biggest show. The sponsors want it, do it.
                Like i said, this COMPLETELY overstates the ability and meaning of Indianapolis to open wheel sponsors. If just showing up was so important, why is it a struggle to get to 33 the last few years? ABC isnt exactly a major sponsor, and D&R was essentially unsponsored all year. Playa Del couldnt keep going, and Nunn and SSM recently sold off entire shops full of equipment. Both were at Indy with good equipment, drivers, and good odds.

Sure, that Centrix associate sponsorship deal would be more money than Coyne or D&R spent all year... but how much did it COST for NHR to go to Indy? Hint: ALOT of money, including 2 trashed Panoz and their Championship leader out for the year.

Indy is a great sponsorship attracting device, bagging sponsors like 711. But its hardly worth it for ChampCar teams to even consider unless they have a HUGE fish on the line that demands it. Trust me, if ANY of them could find such a sponsor, they would be at Indy in a flash... but none of these sponsors exist. In fact, the biggest teams to switch to the IRL either had long term deals with sponsors that couldnt leave anyway (Ganassi, Penske), or ended up LOSING some sponsors withen a few years of the move (Rahal - Gigante, Fernandez - Tecate and Telmex, etc).

Indy deffinitly matters to sponsors, but it doesnt matter anywhere near as much as some make it out to.

Comment

$8MM to $12MM deal
                  I seriously doubt any lead sponsor (IRL or ChampCar) is laying out that kind of money for sidepod and rear wing space. (I'll exclude Toyota and Honda from that statement.)

Only NASCAR is capable of getting that kind of money from a single sponsor these days.
                  BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Only NASCAR is capable of getting that kind of money from a single sponsor these days.
                    Yeah, you may be right. But Newman-Haas has a two car, $12 million budget for this year. That number was bandied about when Centrix came on with $2 million for Indy alone. That overshadows everyone in Champ Car. It possibly could be the total budget for the second half of the field (10-18). Two series trophies in a row.

RuSport could efficiently use $6 million and win the series next year. Dump $5 million into Wilson and a million into a second car and a "ride buyer" who brings a little cash to the effort.

But do not fail to under-estimate the draw of Indy to a big sponsor. CART did and look where they went. The big teams (with big sponsors) effectively told CART the Indianapolis 500 matters when they went over for the one-offs in the late 1990's.

If Champ Car drops ovals and pushes for street festival events only in 2007 (like they are saying) I fear the series will lose some attraction and be like Can Am, IMSA, or the other big road series (GARRA, TA). If they abandon the pursuit of participating at Indy, they insure my fears will be realized. Open wheel, Indy-style racing is too tied into Indy and Indy Car for a "separate" series to be noticed. They can't abandon the pursuit and survive long term.

Don't get me wrong - I liked CART and most of the events of Champ Car. But without Indy, there was no CART and Champ Car is a secondary roadie series.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X