• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfer's race thread ....

beautiful venue, great crowd, nice "scenery"

but the race sucked

and thast coming from someone who DOES appreciate street course racing

but todays event showed many of CC's warts

including a serious lack of talent - while they did have the requisite number of cars - too many cars with little talent behind the wheel

and not entirely just from the rookies IMO - lack of patience, ill-advised moves etc - Tag, Wilson, daMatta and others - and FIVE sets of wings for Glock in practice alone?

sorry - love the venue and the promotors and area are well behind the event - just don't think they got a commensurate effort from the CC series

'Lack of talent' isnt the case with Tagiliani, Wilson, or daMatta... lack of patience is. Patience is a virtue, not a talent.

A few cars did show a lack of talent. del Monte is the one that sticks out. But really the only real problem with todays race wasnt talent, patience, or anything else... its that NHR is simply unbeatably dominant on the street courses because of their shock package. Its something that badly needs fixing.

Comment

I Tivo'd the race and just finished watching.

I love the venue but I've seen better racing.

NHR's dominance doesn't bother me FWIW.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Cygni
        'Lack of talent' isnt the case with Tagiliani, Wilson, or daMatta... lack of patience is. Patience is a virtue, not a talent.

A few cars did show a lack of talent. del Monte is the one that sticks out. But really the only real problem with todays race wasnt talent, patience, or anything else... its that NHR is simply unbeatably dominant on the street courses because of their shock package. Its something that badly needs fixing.
        yeah - you are correct cygni - but these guys are well experienced and should know better - thats what makes it so frustrating

and you know there really isnt anything keeping other teams from developing their own shock package - can't remember, is NHR with Dynamic/MultiMatic?

Comment

Hey CuC, I hate it too when people push it to the limit (and sometimes past).

Steller race? Nope. Sucked? Nope.

I wouldn't talk too much about shallow talent pools BTW. Glass houses and all....

Comment

Not a great race, not terrible. But a severe lack of patience. And why is Del MOnte out there instead of talent like RHR? (I know, $). But NHR has a great street package.

And what about a nother podium for Jeeemmy!
            After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanupcrew
              yeah - you are correct cygni - but these guys are well experienced and should know better - thats what makes it so frustrating
              Yep. Really disapointed with daMatta's brain fade at the start wrecking Servia's race. I must admit I never enjoy the start at Surfers as I know every time, at least one of the drivers I'm cheering for is going to get punted off.

At least there was no mini monsoon on race day.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanupcrew
                beautiful venue, great crowd, nice "scenery"

but the race sucked

and thast coming from someone who DOES appreciate street course racing

but todays event showed many of CC's warts

including a serious lack of talent - while they did have the requisite number of cars - too many cars with little talent behind the wheel

and not entirely just from the rookies IMO - lack of patience, ill-advised moves etc - Tag, Wilson, daMatta and others - and FIVE sets of wings for Glock in practice alone?

sorry - love the venue and the promotors and area are well behind the event - just don't think they got a commensurate effort from the CC series
                It's hard to argue that, but I don't think it was a total loss. Oriol did a great job to get back in the top 5 and Jimmy, at least to me proved he can still do well and Sea Bass? Well, I sort of get tired of him winning, but I'll never deny he's a great racer. Anyone who would think otherwise just doesn't know racing or is ignorant.

Or both.

Comment

I think it must be realized that street racing, just isn't that. There is no real racing on a street course. These venues are popular because it brings the event into the center of an urban area. I think it is safe to say, that most of the attendees, are there just for the festival surrounding the event.

Comment

Street racing event + Aussies = great big party!!!!
                    "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                    -Norman Mailer-

Comment

This was the first complete CC race I have watched all year on TV. I was amazed by several things:

1 - The french kid looked pretty darn good.
                      2 - There seemed to be an abundance of vacuous heads in the cars, although several were relieved of duty before the end of the race.
                      3 - Glock looked pretty impressive also.
                      4 - The race was really lame up front, but there was some interesting action in the pack thanks to the aforementioned vaccums in peoples heads and decent drivers having to avoid them.
                      5 - It really is a lot like club racing on the road circuits.
                      6 - EDIT
                      7 - It really doesn't matter if they all have the same equipment, NH is heads and shoulders above everyone else on any type of circuit.
                      8 - The officials are no better than the IRL guys, and seem to give preferential treatment just like in the IRL.

and finally

The CC races on an oval are 10X better than any of the street parades they put on.
                      Last edited by JSR; 10-24-2005, 09:02 PM.
                      ...Always follow the money

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal
                        This was the first complete CC race I have watched all year on TV. I was amazed by several things:

2 - There seemed to be an abundance of vacuous heads in the cars, although several were relieved of duty before the end of the race.
                        4 - The race was really lame up front, but there was some interesting action in the pack thanks to the aforementioned vaccums in peoples heads and decent drivers having to avoid them.
                        6 - EDIT
                        7 - It really doesn't matter if they all have the same equipment, NH is heads and shoulders above everyone else on any type of circuit.
                        8 - The officials are no better than the IRL guys, and seem to give preferential treatment just like in the IRL.

and finally

The CC races on an oval are 10X better than any of the street parades they put on.
                        That's an honest assessment...but about No. 6...
                        Last edited by JSR; 10-24-2005, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal

6 - EDIT

and finally

Agree with most of your thoughts with few exceptions (especially #6 ) Sea BAss is awesome. He is very very smooth and good. And Glock is getting more and more impressive.

Like many street races, there tends to be more action back in the pack. Back markers are good for something.

And you left out the best part of the race. Jimmy Vasser came in 3rd.
                          Last edited by JSR; 10-24-2005, 09:04 PM.
                          After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa
                            I think it must be realized that street racing, just isn't that. There is no real racing on a street course. These venues are popular because it brings the event into the center of an urban area. I think it is safe to say, that most of the attendees, are there just for the festival surrounding the event.
                            After Monte Carlo, it's downhill fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasserfan
                              Agree with most of your thoughts with few exceptions (especially #6 ) Sea BAss is awesome. He is very very smooth and good. And Glock is getting more and more impressive.

Like many street races, there tends to be more action back in the pack. Back markers are good for something.

And you left out the best part of the race. Jimmy Vasser came in 3rd.
                              I thought about you and knew you'd be happy with JV's result!
                              Think he'll retire for sure after this season?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X