Chicanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicanes

I have been watching races from the 1994-96 era on youtube lately. After watching Surfer's and Vancouver, I have a question about why they had so many one-car-at-a-time chicanes at those tracks? In particular, after watching the 95 (?) Vancouver race that had to be restarted after Junior and DeFerran blocked the track in a tight chicane, and the 96 Surfer's race, where I realized there seemed to be chicanes everywhere in places that didn't seem to make any sense.

I know they sometimes insert one to keep the cars from going too fast on a very long straight, like at Portland, but the ones at these races didn't seem to have any purpose, and similar courses, like Long Beach, didn't seem as littered with them.
    One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

The two front straight chicanes at Surfer's were to slow speeds into the far left-hander because there wasn't much runoff. There were two of them, I guess, because the straight was so long. Most of the other street course chicanes were for similar reasons. Or, in the case of the one-off Vegas race, to be nice and slow while drivers picked a slot between columns...

Long Beach wasn't immune. Check out the revised F1 layout for 1982. Not far after the hairpin a jumbo chicane was created which exited, then re-entered Shoreline Dr. It was as Mickey-Mouse as anything ever seen. It may have been built to add length after other changes.
    "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X