Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A.J. Allmendinger wins the Champ Car championship in 2006.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.J. Allmendinger wins the Champ Car championship in 2006.

What would’ve it been like had A.J. Allmendinger won the Champ Car championship in 2006? Would he still have gone to NASCAR?

He got hired to run Nascar on the strength of a few magic weeks paired with Michael Cannon, so... yes absolutely. Red Bull threw so much money at AJ that Forsythe couldn't afford to keep him in the series.

Comment

Man, I still have hard feelings about they way he left. He talked a big game about how all he ever wanted was to drive Indycars, then took the money and ran when NASCAR waved a check in his face. He could have won a lot of races in Indycar if he stayed. But I guess running at the back of the pack in cabs was more lucrative for him. Clearly, the money was more important to him than competition. In the long run, maybe it was a good thing for everyone that he left.
      I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
      Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK51 View Post
        He got hired to run Nascar on the strength of a few magic weeks paired with Michael Cannon, so... yes absolutely. Red Bull threw so much money at AJ that Forsythe couldn't afford to keep him in the series.
        Then Buddy Rice replaced Allmendinger in the season finale at Mexico City since they look similar and they were both sponsored by Red Bull. They both have a similar helmet design.

Comment

Originally posted by brundle View Post
          Man, I still have hard feelings about they way he left. He talked a big game about how all he ever wanted was to drive Indycars, then took the money and ran when NASCAR waved a check in his face. He could have won a lot of races in Indycar if he stayed. But I guess running at the back of the pack in cabs was more lucrative for him. Clearly, the money was more important to him than competition. In the long run, maybe it was a good thing for everyone that he left.
          I'm certainly not going to blame a man for taking a pay increase, especially a substantial pay increase. Not to mention, Champ Car was dying and NASCAR was booming and Red Bull was investing a lot of money into their attempt. It was the right move at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by brundle View Post
            But I guess running at the back of the pack in cabs was more lucrative for him...
            The gap may have closed in recent years, but back then even back of the pack in Cup paid stupid money. It was a no-brainer for any driver who had the chance to make the move.

Hornish may have an unfortunate Cup career but he made some happy trips to the bank.
            "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X