CART and Tobacco Leg.-a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CART and Tobacco Leg.-a thought

I'm not sure how the Tobacco legislation effects overseas races but couldnt CART go to countries where the Tobacco legislation is not in effect. It would certainly help to keep Players, Hollywood, etc into racing. To get around the laws, have the teams have 2 sponsors. A cigarette company partner up with non-cigarette companie such as compaq. VISA, etc. to do a joint sponsorship. In other words a Players car overseas where the law isn't in effect but a Compaq car in the USA, Canada, and Europe where the laws are in place. The cars still will get the TV and in house exposure from the cigarette companies. Kinda like the Jordan cars does. Their Benson and Hedges overseas but has buzzin hornets on their cars in the USA. Has this been thought of?

There are 2 Canadan posters at other boards that have said EVERYONE has known for 7 years that tobacco sponsorship was gone effective Oct 2003. USA posters have said for a couple of years that Forsight would have to find another sponsor. It's been years and years to plan and prepare. Years and years to find another sponsor. And what has Forsight done?? He did the CART "whine" about Players being forced to leave, less then 60 days before time runs out.

Fans think GF is another in a long list of "savoirs?"
    "OWRS did not return phone calls."

Comment

Don't sweat Forsythe, he knows what he's doing.
      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I'll go on record as saying I'm not sorry to see tobacco advertising going away. Good riddance to them. I just wish someone would outbid the "other guys" for the Captain's services.
        "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz
          I'll go on record as saying I'm not sorry to see tobacco advertising going away. Good riddance to them. I just wish someone would outbid the "other guys" for the Captain's services.
          I disagree. Tobacco companies have done alot for racing. Marlboro, Players, Winston have all put fans in the stands and cars on the track for NASACR, IndyCar, and CART over the years.

Comment

Sorry SFracer,, i didnt go near your question. Took off on some "they" always do it wrong thingy.

I thought,, I'm fairly sure,, I could be wrong,, but,, doesnt one or more of the smoke companies also have legit products?? One of our mutual funds has a smoke company, and I looked them up. Good grief, I cant remember what else they sold or who it is???

Anyway, yes. That would be a great ideal. Having 2 sponsors split the cost of the season (per # of events as primary). Cant run smokes in X country, have their other "legal" product on the car.

But, 2 diffrent companies,, may/could run into a "perceived lack of exposure" problem? It's difficult enough for a single sponsor to get ROI, to share the season with another sponsor someone would get urked.
            "OWRS did not return phone calls."

Comment

I think RJR owns (or owned for a while) Nabisco. I never understood why the teams that were sponsored by RJR-Nabisco cigs couldn't switch to Nabisco food products when racing in areas where tobacco advertising was restricted.

I am thinking that RJR has since sold or spun-off Nabisco. I also don't think they were the only company that owned other, "legit" businesses.
              One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlueStang
                I think RJR owns (or owned for a while) Nabisco. I never understood why the teams that were sponsored by RJR-Nabisco cigs couldn't switch to Nabisco food products when racing in areas where tobacco advertising was restricted.

I am thinking that RJR has since sold or spun-off Nabisco. I also don't think they were the only company that owned other, "legit" businesses.
                You have to remember the purpose of sports sponsorship is advertising! If you’re trying to sell cigarettes you got to advertise cigarettes not cookies.

Comment

Yes, tobacco companies have contributed much to our sport. Their products also kill hundreds of thousands of people a year, as they deny there is a single thing unsafe about them. It may be the minority opinion around here, but I still think it should be heard: Good F-ing riddance to them.
                  "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz
                    Yes, tobacco companies have contributed much to our sport. Their products also kill hundreds of thousands of people a year, as they deny there is a single thing unsafe about them. It may be the minority opinion around here, but I still think it should be heard: Good F-ing riddance to them.
                    Alcohol also kills thousands of people, yet they're still allowed to advertise on TV with commercials clearly aimed to underage drinkers (or those with an underage mentality).

Automobiles kill 40,000 people in this country every year - and the manufacturers know people will get killed in or by their products. But most people don't have a choice - unless you are Amish, your life is seriously affected by cars.

Regardless of what tobacco companies say - you have to be a moron to think smoking is harmless. And unlike cars, you have a greater choice as to what extent they affect you. Seeing a tobacco name does not make one smoke. Seeing a beer product on a car does not make one drink. Peer pressure causes people to smoke and drink (such as the beer commercials that show morons scoring cool chicks who let them date their roomates, etc, because they drink beer).
                    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Regardless of how one feels about tobacco, tobacco legislation and/or CART, the loss of Player's is huge. Not only did they promote talent from within their own country, Players has had one of the best ladder programs of any team. Look at all the talen they developed and brought into the series. Its just phenomenal. Its too bad that more corporations don't follow the business model that Players used. As a sponsor Players did it right, no question about that.
                      Kevin Kalkhoven on Champ Car: "The amount of money we're spending is very little overall and I can afford to run this thing forever."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
                        Alcohol also kills thousands of people, yet they're still allowed to advertise on TV with commercials clearly aimed to underage drinkers (or those with an underage mentality).

Automobiles kill 40,000 people in this country every year - and the manufacturers know people will get killed in or by their products. But most people don't have a choice - unless you are Amish, your life is seriously affected by cars.

Regardless of what tobacco companies say - you have to be a moron to think smoking is harmless. And unlike cars, you have a greater choice as to what extent they affect you. Seeing a tobacco name does not make one smoke. Seeing a beer product on a car does not make one drink. Peer pressure causes people to smoke and drink (such as the beer commercials that show morons scoring cool chicks who let them date their roomates, etc, because they drink beer).
                        The thing is, anti-smoking folk tend to drink like fish, so they're not inclined to oppose alcohol advertising. Too drunk, actually.

Comment

yes good ridance to Tobacco advertising. Forsythe made an absolute fool of himself with his anti Canadian government rant. QUite the contrary to his wish for a change in government over the 7 year old tobacco legislation, the public wouldn't stand for any change or exemption to accomodate millionaire owners/drivers. the suggestion the government should subsidize tobacco F1 teams to run Montreal is equally ridiculous, the canadian public wouldn't even stand for public money to save hockey teams.

It's not government legislation that is the problems - how mcuh trouble did Nascar have replacing Winston? Heck they're bette roff for Winston leaving. If the product was there, the sponsors would be too.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X