This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Cart - huge blunder!

I was reading about this supposed purchase of Cart (taking Cart private) that is to occur today and I couldn't help but thing this is a huge blunder for those involved.

First, the assumption that Cart can return to profitability in '06 is a stretch. What would make this occur? A return of big name sponsors to the series is a start but what makes us think this will occur? The IRL will still be around in '06 absorbing their share of the sponsors.

Return of the big name drivers (like AJ, Sullivan, Mears, Andretti were in the '80s)? Considering the drivers that go to NASCAR and that the IRL will have 20-something seats to fill I doubt this seriously.

Cart at some point has to change its engine forumla and this is going to cost someone (either the teams or suppliers) a considerable amount of money. Who is going to invest this? Ford, OK that's one but who else? With international suppliers set to enter NASCAR I doubt any will take a chance on a struggling series like Cart.

Return of big TV ratings? This is a stretch given that NASCAR has sucked up almost all the motorpsports fans in this country. And this country is key to Cart revival. It has already been suggested that the international events go away in the next few season while Cart rebuilds. But if you can't get American fans then how can you rebuild?

Essentially, what has to happen is for Cart to return to where it was in the '80s for this to be an investment that pays off for those who take Cart private. Can anyone really expect this to happen? Considering NASCAR and the IRL aren't going to fade to where they were in the '80s I just don't see it.

I think that whatever happens, the Cart that folks like me became fans of in the 1980's is dead.

And I am not so sure that I will be a fan of what replaces it.

Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracer56
      I think that whatever happens, the Cart that folks like me became fans of in the 1980's is dead.

And I am not so sure that I will be a fan of what replaces it.

Time will tell.
      RIGHT ON !! Again, thanks Tony for that big F-up you created in the mid 90's.
      "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite
        RIGHT ON !! Again, thanks Tony for that big F-up you created in the mid 90's.
        What the heck does Tony George have to do with Cart running themselves out of business?

Should all of the employees at K-Mart burn Sam Walton in effigy?

As with everything in life, eventually you have to become accountable for your own actions.

It is not Tony George's fault if Cart could not, or would not, adapt to a changing marketplace.

Comment

FIRST: Can this not derail into another aimless, repetetive, "split" thread please?

ANYWAY: I don't think the "international" events would go away. It's the euro-flyaway races. (Germany seemed like a keeper though. If they could just get a freight sponsor, and get the thing on live TV over there. Otherwise.... stay off the plane and stay in the NAFTA area)

Mexico and Canada provide 5 good races. All successful and at a minimum, break-even events.

That's six so far.

(Australia seems like a keeper, but that event would likely still make money even with the only V8 Supercars running. They need to stop with the "Indy" stuff though.)

The US provides 2-3 successful events in terms of good PR. Long Beach, St. Pete and Miami. (Miami is a huge drain, but I don't see them leaving the market.)

That's nine.

Portland is within the realm of feasible profitability, and Milwaukee is too.

It's a base to start from.
          Last edited by dreamracer; 08-13-2003, 10:01 AM.
          Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

Comment

Also, I've read that the purchase announcement has been moved a few days from today.
            Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracer56
              What the heck does Tony George have to do with Cart running themselves out of business?

Should all of the employees at K-Mart burn Sam Walton in effigy?

As with everything in life, eventually you have to become accountable for your own actions.

It is not Tony George's fault if Cart could not, or would not, adapt to a changing marketplace.
              All Tony did was offer a choice .
              If some fans ( or teams , or drivers , or sponsors , or manufacturer's , etc. ) switched allegences they did so on their own.
              If CART couldn't attract replacements , that's it's own fault.
              Blaming TG is simply refusing to admit CART screwed up CART.
              “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
              I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
              I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

This thread is getting whacked because I've seen this movie 38 times before and I know how it's gonna end.

And so do you.
                http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X