CART Toyota Atlantic fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CART Toyota Atlantic fields

I see in Racer magazine that there are alot of older TA cars for sale. Why doesn't CART allow these older chassis to be raced to increase the fields?

It is by no means limited to CART, but it's a typical case of don't care syndrone. I can think of one other ow series that is equally as guilty. The only thing you can do with those outdated cars is vintage races. Of course those races are fun, and the food is excellant. But it ain't the real deal.
    My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

I've never been to a Vintage OW race but I heard its fun. Its a shame that those cars aren't allowed to compete at Long Beach in a B class competition. It would make for some great racing.

Comment

F2000 allowed the older cars to compete in the same races but in their own class. For all I know, they still do. Seemed like a good idea.
        Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

By "older" Atlantics, I'm assuming you mean the Ralt RT-41 and RT-40, Swift DB-4, etc. All these cars are very active in SCCA regional and national competition. In fact, the RT-41 has yet to lose to the new Swift 008.a at the Runoffs, despite some very well-heeled Swift efforts.

Back in '98, CART bought TA and announced the new Swift would be the only eligible car, but the Ralts were grandfathered for a year. The Ralts were still clearly the faster car! Soon the Ralts were saddled with a minimum ride height and more weight and were rendered useless. All this coincided with Carl Haas becoming Swift's sales director, after he was dumped as Lola's importer when someone at Lola asked, "Why are we making this guy a multimillionare to handle our purchase orders?" Unfortunately the whole thing was another CART political folly.

The RT-41 is still a faster and IMO a prettier car than the 008.a.
          "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

Faster or not, the Ralts really looked the part.
            Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

dalz:
              Nice quick history lesson! The series worked and was overshadowed, for whatever reason. The cars were nice, the drivers were good, the competition tough. Slinger, I agree on the looks, but looks cost me one very expensive divorce, so I abstain, if it comes to a vote.
              My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Atlantics and Super Vee's were some of my favorite race cars to watch, and the Ralt Super Vee's were some of the prettiest formula cars around. They have a great eye for performance and looks.

It's sad to see Atlantics have become a shell of their glorious past, it is no longer the series that turned out Gilles, Rosberg, Rahal, etc. The Super Vee's were spectacular too in the early 80's: Michael Chandler, Michael Andretti, Peter Kuhn, Arie Luyendyk, Chip Robinson, Ed Pimm, Price Cobb, Drake Olson, and many more I'm sure I've forgotten.

It sure would be nice if someone could re-invent this formula, so that we were not stuck with the wretched Indy Lights/IPS package.

Since I do not know all the politics and tech issues surrounding the current Atlantic type cars, my question to those in the know - are the malaise and small fields due to CART's neglect, or internal politics, too much technology/cost or not enough technology (ie prep for CART/IRL), or fact that even the TA champ cannot find a top level OW ride. Or all four?

Comment

It seemed that for a while the CART/IRL split ramped up opportunities for Atlantic champs, as CART was keen to get young talent into the big cars. Player's funding was a big help too. Now it seems to have fallen off again.

Going back to the 80's, I always liked the Atlantics over Super Vee's. They looked cooler with their bigger tires. And they used standing starts on road courses. It was tough to tell the Early 80's Ralt Atlantic, Super Vee, and F3 cars apart.

For a while, pro Atlantic went under and the a series called Formula "Mondiale" was thrown together, using Atlantic cars. Mikey was their champ in '83. Then after further financial duress, the series was split in two somehow, along regional lines. I remember ECAR (east) and WCAR (west) monikers for the series'. Formula Atlantic resurfaced with a sponsor and engine supplier--Toyota--about the same time that Super Vee lost theirs, Volkswagen. Pro Super Vee was done in '90 I think.
                  "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X