Former CART drivers crowd podiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former CART drivers crowd podiums

This weekend, NASCAR and IRL fans witnessed how "turning right and left" has its advantages........a podium finish.

NASCAR at the Glen
    P1 Former CART driver..........Robby Gordon
    P2 Former CART driver..........Scott Pruett

IRL at St. Louis
    P1 Former CART driver..........Helio Castroneves
    P2 Former CART driver..........Tony Kanaan
    P3 Former CART driver..........Gil DeFerran

Congratulations to you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current and former Indy drivers, too.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

They don't have podiums in either series.
      "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
      Vice President, Marketing
      IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

NOTE TO CLUTCH PEDAL:
        Your pressure plate needs attention!
        My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

The key word here is "former".

I much prefer the word "current".
          Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

No question they (former CART drivers) had a great weekend. CART has become quite the feeder series.

CART-only fans don't blow a gasket. Just messing with ya.
            IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

And they all raced somewhere else before they came to CART , so you could just as easily say " "former off-road star" , "former sportscar star", "former whatever star" did well this weekend " instead of giving CART credit for what driver's it couldn't keep accomplished ...
              “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
              I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
              I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj
                And they all raced somewhere else before they came to CART , so you could just as easily say " "former off-road star" , "former sportscar star", "former whatever star" did well this weekend " instead of giving CART credit for what driver's it couldn't keep accomplished ...
                Well, I think you definitely need to give CART credit for the diversity of its tracks (at least back when these guys were racing) and how well that trains drivers. I don't think Castroneves would have done as well if CART had been all road courses nor would Robby Gordon have done as well if CART raced on all ovals.

Comment

I don't disagree with your point that running CART certainly helped with gaining experience .

My response was partly due to having seen similar posts on "another site" and it striking me as another one in the "they couldn't have done it without CART" vein.

To me that's like saying JPM is a success in F1 because of CART .
                  He was the series for two years , and nobody there had much for him either so I guess MHO is talented drivers in good cars with good teams will win , no matter where or what they ran before .

I didn't see any "USAC driver wins Winston Cup Championship" headlines , even though I have no doubt experience Tony gained there helped him in NASCAR .

Wasn't intended as much a shot at CART as it was a shot at the message .
                  Last edited by jandj; 08-11-2003, 05:27 PM.
                  “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                  I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                  I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by gyc
                    Well, I think you definitely need to give CART credit for the diversity of its tracks (at least back when these guys were racing) and how well that trains drivers. I don't think Castroneves would have done as well if CART had been all road courses nor would Robby Gordon have done as well if CART raced on all ovals.
                    Robby was a road racer before he went to CART. That was probably part of the reason he went to CART. Castroneves wouldn't have done so well if he hadn't driven for Penske.
                    "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Gotta admit, CART was all over the TV stations on Sunday. Even before they took the checkered at WG, Wally's piece on safety teams was real complimentary of CART. They had Jeemy, Adrian, and the guys from the Safety Team on, as well as footage from Zanardi's crash. All the NASCAR guys they interviewed shared many favorable opinions towards having a similar safety program.
                      "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by mesquite
                        All the NASCAR guys they interviewed shared many favorable opinions towards having a similar safety program.
                        They should, especially after this weekend.

Newman spent a minute on his side before anyone got to him.

Gordon spent even longer, then got caught in traffic getting to the infield care center.

If they can't properly staff the track for safety, they shouldn't be there.
                        http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                          They should, especially after this weekend.

Newman spent a minute on his side before anyone got to him.

Gordon spent even longer, then got caught in traffic getting to the infield care center.

If they can't properly staff the track for safety, they shouldn't be there.
                          "Well soon, you just don't understand how we do things here at NASCAR. We see no reason to change."

Comment

Originally posted by Tara
                            The key word here is "former".

I much prefer the word "current".
                            Current CART driver??? Just funning..

Comment

jandj, maybe the common denominator to all these drivers is go-karts. Go-karts make the driver.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X