• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diftw
    Insider
    • Jul 2001

Had some great times at Mid-Ohio!

I sure do miss that weekend. What a great place to take the family. I'd still go but just too many races packed in too short of a period of time (Michigan, BY, Kentucky). Looks like it is still a great deal too-$40.00 for Sunday-kids 12 or under free. Have any of you camped in the area? Any good campgrounds in the area?

BTW, for all of you road-course haters out there, I would have put myself into that category until my first trip to Mid-Ohio in 1990.
    Give yourself a chance someday.

Thanks,
    Dave
    "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.
  • bkeske
    ALMS : what a shame
    • May 2001

I still love the place. It is Mid-Ohio I got turned on to auto racing back in the mid-70's going to SCCA events. Eventually the second generation Can-Am events, the Camel GT's, Trans-Am, CART, Vintage, Bikes, etc. etc.

I have many great memories of the CART series st Mid-Ohio. Even when it rained, and never stopped practically the whole weekend. They still raced. And back in 'the day' a trip downtown to the origional Bucks Tavern was a must. You would run into Dan G., Roger P., Bobby B., Rick M., etc. etc. Incredible place for race fans back then. It was like a dream world in the middle of lil'Lexington, Ohio. I remember having a long disussion with Pete Halsmer at the bar in the Camel GT day's. I'll never forget those memories.

I almost always camped at the Clearfork Resivoir northwest, and only about 10 minutes from the north gate. Only camped at the track a couple of times, but still prefer the Resivoir site. These day's I have been staying at Mohican Lodge, as the wife ain't too keen on camping.

I'll be landing in London for vaction this Sunday for a week vacation, so am missing the annual trip for the third year in a row. Two years ago I got married again, and last year I just wasn't intreseted enough to attend, but did attend the ALMS and Run-Off's.

I'll be at the Run-Off's again this year, staying at the Mohican Lodge, and sitting around the race track while my wife goes shopping at all the antique shops in the area.
    Last edited by bkeske; 08-08-2003, 09:53 AM.
    Brian W Keske
    bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Railbird
      H H A
      • Aug 2000

I'll be camping at the track this weekend.

Haven't been there since the 2001 runoffs, looking forward to it.
      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

• bkeske
        ALMS : what a shame
        • May 2001

As a side note, that makes me very happy to see....

Brian W Keske
        bwkdesign.wordpress.com

"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."
        -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• BigWheelHawaii
          Insider
          • May 2001

Re: Had some great times at Mid-Ohio!

Originally posted by diftw
          I sure do miss that weekend. What a great place to take the family. I'd still go but just too many races packed in too short of a period of time (Michigan, BY, Kentucky). Looks like it is still a great deal too-$40.00 for Sunday-kids 12 or under free. Have any of you camped in the area? Any good campgrounds in the area?

BTW, for all of you road-course haters out there, I would have put myself into that category until my first trip to Mid-Ohio in 1990.
          Give yourself a chance someday.

Thanks,
          Dave
          Aloha Dave,,,

Bingo Buddie,,, Add another one to your collection...

BTW, for all of you road-course haters out there, I would have put myself into that category until my first trip to Mid-Ohio in 1990. Give yourself a chance someday.

I was thinking the same thing, kind of,,, while watching the CART cars qualify... Dont' tell them guys on the other side, but I was thinking the same thing... Man them IPS cars would look good there... Does the CART Road Show,,, have some talent,,, or what... Depth of field,,, or what....

I personally would like to see smaller cars,,, I think they are to big... But call Pook what you want, I've called him everything but human,,, but this is a better show today,,, for my limited knowledge... But I would like,,, More HP,,, Smaller Cars,,, Paddle Shifters.... Sealed Engines, for CART cars or IRL/IPS cars on the road courses.......

I don't like Paul Tracy, and I've never met him,,, but so what, I don't have to... I do admit, that is a some what limited few of a human being, that I have never met, or spent time with... But he's got a ton of talent, just the same.... Does he have a big mouth, yes,, but so did Jackie Gleason, and I just loved him... Besides, so do I,,, so,,, he with out sin, cast the first Atom Bomb.... And I just bet, if he ever paid me a dime's worth of interest to me, I'd have my head stuck so far up this "Kazoo" they'd have to pump daylite to me, to just stay alive..... Also, I just bet, he'd be a kick in tha Azz at the Classy Chassis,,,, my type of fellow,,,me thinks...

What the little knowledge I have, most of it is due to the Speed Channel,,, Da Bird, a few othres, and now Grandview.... And I've called them all, some bad names, at some time... Everything, but human, at times... Kind of Sad, but it goes with the territory, of having monochromatic mind or outlook on life... That and only having a room tempature IQ,,, I guess...... My-Way or the Highway, was my motto... Kind of strange,,, because, the first Road Race I saw, was in Golden Gate Park, watching TC MG's, 120 Jags, and Cad powered Allarads.... Then off to Seventeem Mile Drive, and then later, the opening day at Laguna Seca, Historic Car Races, what a show... And that was a few years ago too, Dave... I am just a very slow learner,,,, but I am still trying to learn... I did watch them Barber Dodge Cars at the Airport on Speed,,, that was a great show....

DAVE,,,,,DAVE,,,, STAR Mazda at,,, ???? What a flocking trip,,,, these cars are so good.... A ton of them to start with,,, going balls out,,,, just on the gas,,,, OH NO,,, ONE into the Kitty Liter... These kids got more guts, than a slaugther house,,,,

Your lucky,,, I stop now,,, me watch.... These cars are so cool,,, next year,,, new ones,,,, better than IPS cars.... and only 70 grand... me go now,,, you and otherss lucky....
          Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-09-2003, 06:04 PM.
          Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

• kikigirl
            Insider
            • Nov 2001

Missed it this year.
            Could be missing it for a long time (especially since Pookie don't like the outdoors) boo-hoo!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X