X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ntwoods
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post

Didn’t they use the 747 to transport the cars and equipment to Japan for the Motegi races?

What alternative aircraft could be used if IndyCar were to race overseas again?
    The freighter versions of the 747 while ending production will most likely fly for a long time so, should an overseas race materialize, the 747 will most likely be available to fly things around.

As for alternatives, the 777F gets fairly close to the older 747 freighters and could probably do the job.

Leave a comment:

• PaddockMoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post

Didn’t they use the 747 to transport the cars and equipment to Japan for the Motegi races?

I don't know to be honest. But in 2002 they were MD-11s
    https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...night/1969416/

Also, plane related.. Fedex used to fly a spare plane in and park it on the part of the runway at Cleveland between the two loop part of the temporary circuit.

During one of the race, one of the cars retired from the race in that section, and the driver went to the plane and parked the stricken car under the plane.

Leave a comment:

• Spike
    replied
    Yes, two 747 freighters flew all the cars and equipment to Japan. There are a large number of 747 freighters that will be flying for many years to come. Freight companies love the ease of loading provided by the 747F's huge nose door.

There are also freighter versions of the 777 and 767. Airbus produced a relatively small number of A330 freighters and is now developing a freighter version of the A350.

Leave a comment:

• Ken-Paul
    replied
    Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    747s will be around.. doing really cool things for some time.

Leave a comment:

• PaddockMoose
    replied
    747s will be around.. doing really cool things for some time.

Cosmic Girl launches stuff to space.

SOFIA Looks at space

Now the Virgin one is just a 747-400 survivor from Virgin Atlantic, but your eyes are not deceiving you. Sofia is short for a 747. That is because she is a former Pan Am 747SP, SP meaning Special Performance. Its really short for the super long distance route Pan Am wanted to run.

Leave a comment:

• Spike
    replied
    Boeing still has -8 versions of the 747 freighter in production at their (huge) Paine Field facility in Everrett where they also build the 767 (and KC-46 tanker variant), 777, 777x, and, until earlier this year, the 787 "Dreamliner" which is now produced solely in South Carolina.

While the 747-8 freighter is reasonably fuel-efficient, production will be ending sometime next year.

Leave a comment:

• West
    replied
    One of my favorite photo subjects. I guess they weren't very fuel efficient.
    airplane 747 darker (1).JPG

Leave a comment:

• PastorOfMuppets
    replied
    sad

Leave a comment:

• Jim Wilke
    replied
    E8djgXmXsAgGvVy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg

Leave a comment:

• midtown
    replied
    Flew the -8 a couple of times. Bejing to Delhi on Air China and Jo'berg to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. And the -400 when United was using them a few years ago between Shanghai and Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• JBH
    replied
    I live in a city that had daily service to/from Heathrow until March. The last 10 miles of the approach for our airport is visible through the windows of my house and it was always sweet to see that silhouette gliding by in the evening.

More recently I saw one of these graceful ladies again, this time under very different circumstances:

Global_944.jpg
    Last edited by JBH; 10-09-2020, 05:20 PM. Reason: Photo credit: Bill Feather

Leave a comment:

• KevMcNJ
    replied
    My far more successful than I brother flies alot for work. Been that way for 25 years. He hates airports and hates flying because it's been an almost weekly event for him for so many years. Sometimes bi-weekly.

They took a vacation a couple years back on a 747.

He was a excited as a 7 year old on Christmas morning to take THAT flight.

Leave a comment:

• AGRiculture
    replied
    I flew on Lufthansa from Chicago to Frankfurt to Tel Aviv and back in 2017 for my Israel vacation. The legs between Chicago and Frankfurt were on fairly new 747-8s. Lufthansa was one of the few airlines to buy the passenger version of the 747-8. I assume that those will be flying for at least 5 more years, but maybe not. Between Frankfurt and Tel Aviv and back were on crowded and cramped A320s, those weren't pleasant flights.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Wilke
    started a topic British Airways retires last two 747s

British Airways retires last two 747s

Sad day, flew on these planes several times. Cashed in miles and flew First Class to Heathrow, flew to Athens, Rome and JoBurg and Capetown, marvelous experience. Whatever comes next may be newer but it won't be better.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X