No announcement yet.

Gasoline in the IndyCars in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline in the IndyCars in the future?

One thing I noticed Sunday during the big IPS accident was the fact the fuel cells worked wonderfully while being relatively full of gasoline. I know CART has been bringing up the gasoline issue for the oil company revenue. Is this far behing in the IRL? I know it gives me the shivvers thinking about it but it appears technology is doing a great job.

Dave
    "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Every other series (NASCAR Winston Cup, IROC, Formula One, Infiniti Pro, Porsche Cup, Ferrari Challenge) that races at Indianapolis runs on gasoline. With modern fuel cells and proper chassis construction it is not the same issue that it was back in the 1960s and 70s.

Comment

One thing I noticed Sunday during the big IPS accident was the fact the fuel cells worked wonderfully while being relatively full of gasoline.
      Uh, tell that to the guy in the picture that's ducking behind the wall. Also note that the fire plume is BEHIND the catch fence post - a place where on a crowded day spectators might have been walking.

Comment

Thats oil....................not fuel.......................
        To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

Originally posted by mec
          Thats oil....................not fuel.......................
          I'll have to take your word for it since I wasn't there and am just going by a picture that was posted in another thread.

Must have been one he11 of an impact to atomize the oil in the tank and create that much of a flash fire.

jcr

Comment

Running gasoline might get you a good series sponsor.
            Another long term possibility might be biodiesel (soybean-based)
            just the ticket for a series that has its premier event in Central Indiana........
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

A complete engine overhaul/design would be needed if gasoline was run instead of methanol to achieve the same power.

Why change when IndyCars could be the only major series in the world to run methanol?
              The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

"a place where on a crowded day spectators might have been walking."

I can't speak for every track, but spectators are not allowed to walk in front of the stands during a race at TMS.
                Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

The only way I could be OK with this chage would be if they coupled the jacks and the rig such that the car couldn't be lowered until the rig were removed. Still, the idea of gas spilling out in a pit is not a good thought. Would be tougher to put the occasional fire out. Methanol/water works much better.

There's noting stopping any fuel company from sponsoring a car. In all likelihood, if the formula were to switch over to gas, only one company would get the contract. Big deal.

My bottomline: It ain't broke so why worry about fixing it.

jmart

Comment

Some good ideas jmart. But what's really amazing is that there were many gasoline pit fires at Indianapolis over many years and there weren't any worse injuries than those in today's methanol pit fires. In fact, some of the methanol pit fires have caused more injuries. Starting in the 1930s at Indianapolis nitrogen pressurized gasoline refueling rigs were in use during pits stops at Indianapolis. Gravity only refueling was not mandated until 1965. There were no dry break nozzles and no vent hoses. You just opened up the big filler cap on the tail and shot the fuel in. This led to many overflow situations where the gasoline caught on fire while the driver was still in the car. Mostly the drivers just jumped out while the fire extinguishers were being used and then got back in and restarted in the race. I believe that Mauri Rose did just this on one of his drives in the Blue Crown car. On the other hand there have been some serious burns to crew members and drivers with methanol in use. Rick Mears had the tip of his nose seriously burned when the invisible methanol flame went up under his full face helmet and no one seemed to know he was on fire at first. Also, gasoline was banned in 1965 but other fuel additivies were not. There were various methanol blends (using nitromethane, toulene, benzene, etc.) still in use. Their use finally died out when turbocharging came in all you had to do was tighten the waste gate screw down to get more power. Methanol became the only mandated fuel when turbos started to dominate.

Comment

If some one perfected a candle that smelled like methanol exhaust, I'd buy one for every room!

The smell alone is reason enough to NEVER, NEVER, EVER srop using methanol in race cars.
                      Live like Dave

Comment

NFW, never again! You must have forgotten Indy in 1963. Atlanta, with methanol was bad enough.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ
                          If some one perfected a candle that smelled like methanol exhaust, I'd buy one for every room!

The smell alone is reason enough to NEVER, NEVER, EVER srop using methanol in race cars.
                          If you ever find those candles , I want one too!
                          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj
                            If you ever find those candles , I want one too!

But could you see it burning?
                            To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

I was at Indy in 1964 when Eddie and Dave perished. Gasoline in Indy Cars gives me the creeps. I know the technology is better, but 220 miles per hour, walls, and odd angles makes weird things happen sometimes, particularly when multiple cars are involved.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X