Fuel fires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel fires?

Any idea why we are seeing so many fires this year? Is there something to do with the overflow location, some difference in the way the tanks are vented? Something has changed and it isn't good.

If you are talking pit lane refueling fires, who else besides Ray has had one? Scheckter's at TX was pulling the rig to quickly as far as I recall, and Giaffone's at Pikes Peak was sending him out before it was pulled.

By best guess is that crews are trying extra hard to be just a couple tenths quicker on the stops and they are screwing up. that's just a guess.

jmart

Comment

how about a switch and circuit that made you keep the clutch pedal down until the dry break connection was clear otherwise it would kill the engine?
      sort of like the starter interlock on street cars
      Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by jmart
        If you are talking pit lane refueling fires, who else besides Ray has had one? Scheckter's at TX was pulling the rig to quickly as far as I recall, and Giaffone's at Pikes Peak was sending him out before it was pulled.

By best guess is that crews are trying extra hard to be just a couple tenths quicker on the stops and they are screwing up. that's just a guess.

jmart
        Miera at Michigan, Buddy Lazier earlier this year. I think there have been others.Oh and Robby Gordon at Indy - last year?. One a year is too many and there seems to be some connection here. I am only guessing but it seems like fuel is getting out of the overflow and under the cowling. Mandate a common 'dump' location, if need be, someplace nice and cool and away from the exhaust and engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
          Mandate a common 'dump' location, if need be, someplace nice and cool and away from the exhaust and engine.
          Which would be... the nose? I think they should go to the single point fueling system like CART uses. That way they can move the airjack to the rear and give that guy a much easier time holding the car until the fuel is in and the wheels are on.

And if they go to RCs in 2005, unless it's Mid-Ohio, they will be using the single-point fueling equipment. There is no vent opening on the right hand side.

Comment

I don't know, maybe plumb a vent pipe into the side pod and dump the excess under the driver's right elbow...

I realize, though, the longer the vent drain, the more problems with restrictions and the vent carrying fuel. Something isn't right, though, we're seeing way too many of these fires. Somebody is going to get hurt.

Comment

From what I heard, Miera's fire couldn't have been avoided. Equipment problem. His had nothing to do with refueling.
              The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by autoracingfan2
                From what I heard, Miera's fire couldn't have been avoided. Equipment problem. His had nothing to do with refueling.

Very true. This was an fire caused by a failure of a piece of vendor supplied equiptment.
                SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X