Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you think there's no quantum engine, eh? Read this :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KenK View Post
    Yes, but it isn't Track Forum approved.
    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Potential being the keyword - just like every other unproven technology.

I say bring it on - all of it!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post

Potential being the keyword - just like every other unproven technology.

I say bring it on - all of it!
        It's already proven technology. It has potential if they can scale it up economically; their gasoline substitute is $4.00/gal. No different 'sticky wicket' than Winfield's engine- Moving a couple atoms is a bit different than moving a couple tons when viewed from a practical perspective. I offer up the Manhattan Project effort needed to create something functional from Einstein's famous equation.
        "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post

It's already proven technology. It has potential if they can scale it up economically; their gasoline substitute is $4.00/gal. No different 'sticky wicket' than Winfield's engine- Moving a couple atoms is a bit different than moving a couple tons when viewed from a practical perspective. I offer up the Manhattan Project effort needed to create something functional from Einstein's famous equation.
          That’s what I’m saying.

Comment

Some info I found on Autoextremist:

http://www.autoextremist.com/current...e-history.html

According to a report from the Manhattan Institute by Mark P. Mills, entitled “The New Energy Economy: An Exercise in Magical Thinking” those realities are sobering. In fact, they’re downright ugly. Here are just a few:

· Hydrocarbons supply over 80% of world energy: If all that were in the form of oil, the barrels would line up from Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles, and that entire line would grow by the height of the Washington Monument every week.

·
            · A battery-centric grid and car world means mining gigatons more of the earth to access lithium, copper, nickel, graphite, rare earths, cobalt, etc.—and using millions of tons of oil and coal both in mining and to fabricate metals and concrete. And in case you’re wondering, China dominates global battery production with its grid 70% coal-fueled. EVs using Chinese batteries will create more carbon-dioxide than saved by replacing oil-burning engines.

Sobering realities indeed.
            Last edited by doitagain; 07-10-2019, 01:57 AM.
            "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Excerpts only, please. But thanks for posting! Interesting read.
              There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

According to a report from the Manhattan Institute by Mark P. Mills, entitled “The New Energy Economy: An Exercise in Magical Thinking” those realities are sobering. In fact, they’re downright ugly. Here are just a few:

· Hydrocarbons supply over 80% of world energy: If all that were in the form of oil, the barrels would line up from Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles, and that entire line would grow by the height of the Washington Monument every week.

·
                · A battery-centric grid and car world means mining gigatons more of the earth to access lithium, copper, nickel, graphite, rare earths, cobalt, etc.—and using millions of tons of oil and coal both in mining and to fabricate metals and concrete. And in case you’re wondering, China dominates global battery production with its grid 70% coal-fueled. EVs using Chinese batteries will create more carbon-dioxide than saved by replacing oil-burning engines.

Sobering realities indeed.
                I'd be curious to see how the costs compare when the collateral economic and environmental damages are included on both sides of the equation.
                There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

A battery-centric grid and car world means mining gigatons more of the earth to access lithium, copper, nickel, graphite, rare earths, cobalt, etc.—and using millions of tons of oil and coal both in mining and to fabricate metals and concrete. And in case you’re wondering, China dominates global battery production with its grid 70% coal-fueled. EVs using Chinese batteries will create more carbon-dioxide than saved by replacing oil-burning engines.

Sobering realities indeed. [/I]
                  I'm no expert on the topic... but we've heard these warnings for years now. Unless a different technology arrives we are still faced with harvesting massive amounts of elements from the earth, and the carbon-dioxide required to harvest those items is absolutely massive.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post

I'm no expert on the topic... but we've heard these warnings for years now. Unless a different technology arrives we are still faced with harvesting massive amounts of elements from the earth, and the carbon-dioxide required to harvest those items is absolutely massive.
                    Which is why people need to start looking at alternative ideas. Winfield's is one of many. The time is now!
                    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by turbopanzer View Post

Which is why people need to start looking at alternative ideas. Winfield's is one of many. The time is now!
                      Let’s see them. I’m all about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X