Anti-Freeze/Coolant Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Freeze/Coolant Question

My car was overheating the other day and it turned out (thankfully) I was low on coolant. Since I needed it right away and I grabbed what they had at the Gulf station, which was some no-name brand and added that. My question is:

Should I flush out my Radiator and replace it with better stuff? The original stuff was MOPAR 50K (came with the car). Or, does it not really matter?
    It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Look in your manual. The stuff you picked up is probably regular green ethylene glycol, and your system may be able to take up to 10% of it without ill effects if it has long life coolant. There is also a gold colored G-05 that Chrysler used that was a long life coolant, but it is compatible with the regular green. It is basically the green with a different dye and additive package.

If it had regular green in it to begin with, everything should be fine. If it is a 2002 car, you might want to get the cooling system flushed and refilled with G-05/Chrysler Long Life coolant as it offers really good protection and does last that long just because it is due. Mercedes has been using it for years, and Ford and Chrysler have started using it this decade. It can be used in place of regular green coolant in many situations and has shown to be better.
    "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

Originally posted by Marc P. Gregoire
      Look in your manual. The stuff you picked up is probably regular green ethylene glycol, and your system may be able to take up to 10% of it without ill effects if it has long life coolant. There is also a gold colored G-05 that Chrysler used that was a long life coolant, but it is compatible with the regular green. It is basically the green with a different dye and additive package.

If it had regular green in it to begin with, everything should be fine. If it is a 2002 car, you might want to get the cooling system flushed and refilled with G-05/Chrysler Long Life coolant as it offers really good protection and does last that long just because it is due. Mercedes has been using it for years, and Ford and Chrysler have started using it this decade. It can be used in place of regular green coolant in many situations and has shown to be better.
      Actually, this stuff was yellow. The jug is in my trunk, so I can't give you exact info, but it did call itself long-life and said it'll last 36K. I guess I'll just flush it out at my next oil change (about 1500 miles) and get some MOPAR stuff from the Chrysler dealer.

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier R142
        Actually, this stuff was yellow. The jug is in my trunk, so I can't give you exact info, but it did call itself long-life and said it'll last 36K. I guess I'll just flush it out at my next oil change (about 1500 miles) and get some MOPAR stuff from the Chrysler dealer.
        Zerex G-05 from a parts store/"big box" store will likely be cheaper and the exact same stuff as the dealer will sell you.

There are some newer coolants that are listed as "compatible with all" long life like Peak or Prestone, maybe the Gulf coolant was just that rebottled. Was the stuff in the car yellow as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier R142
          Actually,... I guess I'll just flush it out at my next oil change (about 1500 miles) and get some MOPAR stuff from the Chrysler dealer.
          To be honest with you BR142, that's probably the BEST thing you could do. I'm a lot like you in that I want the "Dealership" to do the work on my vehicle. Am I paying more than I would elsewhere? Absolutely, however, I like the feeling of "re-course" if something were to go wrong. Next, having all of the "Service/Maint." records in ONE PLACE, when you go to sell or trade it DOES add value to the car. A minute amount, but every little bit helps.

One thing you may want to look into....(I did and everything was cool...(no pun intended)...with Chrysler). I went ahead and put "Peak Anti-Freeze" in it. Therefore, I KNOW that I'm not only getting a GREAT Product, I'm also supporting an IRL Sponsor.
          But that's just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by jetdoc
            To be honest with you BR142, that's probably the BEST thing you could do. I'm a lot like you in that I want the "Dealership" to do the work on my vehicle. Am I paying more than I would elsewhere? Absolutely, however, I like the feeling of "re-course" if something were to go wrong. Next, having all of the "Service/Maint." records in ONE PLACE, when you go to sell or trade it DOES add value to the car. A minute amount, but every little bit helps.

One thing you may want to look into....(I did and everything was cool...(no pun intended)...with Chrysler). I went ahead and put "Peak Anti-Freeze" in it. Therefore, I KNOW that I'm not only getting a GREAT Product, I'm also supporting an IRL Sponsor.
            Actually, I plan to do the work myself. It's just that the dealer is the only place that sells MOPAR stuff.

Comment

Depending on if you want to keep the car a long time, I recommend BG products. If your car mileage is less than 36k they have an insurance plan for repairs to the systems you use their products in. It is substantial!

The cooling system will set up a galvanic cell that eats the radiator when the ph gets out of wack in the coolant. BG's products don't break down that way.

Their brake fluid doesn't absorb water which keeps the cylinders from leaking, the transmission fluid handles higher temps etc.

It is expensive but the repairs are worse.

All depends on how long you want the vehicle.
              "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
              body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
              "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
              >

Comment

Long-life coolants like G-05 (not Dex-Cool, Dex-Cool is bad stuff) have corrosion inhibitors in them to make them last the 5 years/100,000 miles listed without creating that galvanic cell effect.

Brake fluid should be hygroscopic, and the best ones are extremely hygroscopic because it keeps the water in suspension so it doesn't boil and give you a mushy pedal.

BG's fuel system products like 44K are really good though, 44K isn't cheap but it's about the best injector cleaner out there.

Zerex G-05, Motorcraft Premium Long Life and Mopar Long Life coolant are all the same product developed in Germany by BASF. The G stands for Glysantin, and the G-05 formula has been used by Mercedes for years and proven itself to be probably the best long life coolant out there. I personally would pick up the Zerex and not deal with the dealer, because it's less expensive for the exact same thing. Compatible with aluminum, protects the water pump, protects gaskets, low/no silicates, no phosphates.

Make sure to do a really thorough flush of the system before you use it, though.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X