Rent a race car series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent a race car series

I think this is actually being done in some lower formula classes, but I am not sure. And I don't know what they are charging.

Car cost $50K
    cost per race at 30 races $1666.67
    50% surcharge to cover expenses
    Insurance $1000
    Total to rent per race $3500

Attendance 30K
    Ticket price $20
    Total revenue $600K
    Track gets $300K
    Purse $200K or $4000 per car
    Sanctioning body $100K

I'll probably add some to this and/or subtract

Your thoughts?
    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

You don't say but this must be a stand alone series otherwise there's no way to separate the ticket price. The $20 ticket price, great, is that per day for a two day show or is it a one day Saturday or a Sunday show? You'll have to explain how you hope to attract 30,000 people to a rent a ride race that with a $4,000 per car payout isn't going to attact any kind of 'name' drivers or teams. And finally who pays for the promotion that's going to draw 30,000 people? The track has operating expenses that will already eat into their share, the sanctioning body has even less money coming in the deal.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Z28
      You don't say but this must be a stand alone series otherwise there's no way to separate the ticket price. The $20 ticket price, great, is that per day for a two day show or is it a one day Saturday or a Sunday show? You'll have to explain how you hope to attract 30,000 people to a rent a ride race that with a $4,000 per car payout isn't going to attact any kind of 'name' drivers or teams. And finally who pays for the promotion that's going to draw 30,000 people? The track has operating expenses that will already eat into their share, the sanctioning body has even less money coming in the deal.
      Good questions. Thanks.

This is still in the early thinking stages so some things are still to be worked out.

Yes, it would be stand alone. But it might be a one day show on a Saturday afternoon or Friday night. It might also be a 2 day show with heat races one day and the main on one day. On the one day show, the $20 would be it. For the 2 day show, an additional $10 ticket would be needed for the heat race day. Possible two day ticket price of $25.

My original numbers which are a starting point are subject to some tweaking. But as they are right now, it cost $3500 to run and the pay is $4000. So actually there is not a net cost. And this would be run on superspeedways, so I think the attraction to run would be there, especially at such a low out of pocket price. Much less than "tests" in a lot of series and this would be actual races not tests. It probably wouldn't attract any drivers or teams currently running in profitable series where the driver is paid a salary.

Promotion is still to be worked out, but it would probably be a combination of the track and the sanctioning body. I consider 30K to actually be a very conservative number. Granted all tracks are not TMS, but TMS draws 90K to the IRL featuring 18 cars with only about 10 name drivers and the CTS draws 65-70K for 36 trucks with only about 10 name drivers. Also both series drew far more than that in their first race.

Yes, there will be some additional costs coming out of the sanctioning body's cut, but with these numbers, their cut was substantially higher than I thought it would be, so there is room to work there.

Comment

Lucky, How do you come with these attendence numbers, 30K? And 50k for your fantasy league?

The first thing that needs to happen is that you get over this thinking that people will flock to these races. You have some good ideas but I think you are way overestimating how many people would attend what would basically be a small time series racing on big tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
          Lucky, How do you come with these attendence numbers, 30K? And 50k for your fantasy league?

The first thing that needs to happen is that you get over this thinking that people will flock to these races. You have some good ideas but I think you are way overestimating how many people would attend what would basically be a small time series racing on big tracks.

3 and a half hours after I answered that question in a reply to Z28 you ask it again? Now if you didn't like my answer for some reason or another, please feel free to voice your objections along with why you disagree.

Now I have a question for you. What makes you think that 30K is an unrealistic over optimistic attendance figure? Can you think of any super speedway event barring bad weather that has lower attendance than that?

And I don't have a problem with the assertion that this would be a small time series racing on big tracks. In fact, that sounds pretty good to me. Nothing I am suggesting has anything to do with current series other than the fact that some of the same people might be interested in this too. I am not seeking to replace a single series.

You could actually be right. But I don't HAVE to get over anything, particularly on the basis that someone told me to. I welcome your comments and questions, though because it certainly is possible that I am forgetting something or have significantly misjudged something and it would be helpful to know those things ahead of time. But please back up your assertions with something other than your opinion.

Comment

Sorry, but I do not see at all how you answered the question of how there will be 30k there. Could you please point out where you made that point clear?

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
              Sorry, but I do not see at all how you answered the question of how there will be 30k there. Could you please point out where you made that point clear?
              Sure.

"I consider 30K to actually be a very conservative number. Granted all tracks are not TMS, but TMS draws 90K to the IRL featuring 18 cars with only about 10 name drivers and the CTS draws 65-70K for 36 trucks with only about 10 name drivers. Also both series drew far more than that in their first race."

Comment

So, The IRL draws it's crowd with 10 name drivers and the truck draws it's crowd with 10 name drivers.

Where are you going to get 10 name drivers for your series. And how would you get any name driver to leave where they are racing to race in your series for little money compared to what a name driver would already be being paid?

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
                  So, The IRL draws it's crowd with 10 name drivers and the truck draws it's crowd with 10 name drivers.

Where are you going to get 10 name drivers for your series. And how would you get any name driver to leave where they are racing to race in your series for little money compared to what a name driver would already be being paid?

I might not get any name drivers or I might. But I will have more cars than the trucks and WAY more cars than the IRL, so I think it would still pull slightly less than the trucks. Also tickets are cheaper.

Would you go to a race like this? Would you watch it on TV if it were not in a time slot conflict with some other race series?

Comment

Why do you think just because as series has more cars than the IRL or trucks it will automatically draw a big crowd?

Comment

Originally posted by RS2
                      Why do you think just because as series has more cars than the IRL or trucks it will automatically draw a big crowd?

Because some people consider a large field of cars to be an important aspect of racing. And actually what I am suggesting would be relatively small crowds not big ones. I can always hope, but I'll start small.

Still wondering if you would attend and/or watch a series like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161
                        Still wondering if you would attend and/or watch a series like this?
                        Doubtful, maybe if it was real close and I had free tickets.

Comment

I think this is actually being done in some lower formula classes, but I am not sure. And I don't know what they are charging.

Car cost $50K
                          cost per race at 30 races $1666.67
                          50% surcharge to cover expenses
                          Insurance $1000
                          Total to rent per race $3500

Attendance 30K
                          Ticket price $20
                          Total revenue $600K
                          Track gets $300K
                          Purse $200K or $4000 per car
                          Sanctioning body $100K

I'll probably add some to this and/or subtract

Your thoughts?

so every driver makes $500 over their cost? you expect to rent superspeedways (you said TMS and i assume, Indy, Daytona, Talledega, California, Pocono, Atlanta) for $300k...let me know if bruton, tony and brian ok that. $50k cars to race on a superspeedway...if avg speed is 130mph the cars will be trashed or worn out and need replacement, where is that cost. medical insurance for racers in that $1000?

i doubt it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by ndcrs
                            so every driver makes $500 over their cost? you expect to rent superspeedways (you said TMS and i assume, Indy, Daytona, Talledega, California, Pocono, Atlanta) for $300k...let me know if bruton, tony and brian ok that. $50k cars to race on a superspeedway...if avg speed is 130mph the cars will be trashed or worn out and need replacement, where is that cost. medical insurance for racers in that $1000?

i doubt it would work.

Actually I kind of doubt that anyone will make $500. They will probably be able to spend that on something or another.

I am hoping to not have to rent any tracks.

Not picking on you because you aren't the only one or even the first to say that $50K cars won't work. And like others before you, you don't say why. I've said why I think it is possible, so now you tell me why you disagree please. Frank Kimmel runs a race on a superspeedway with street stock cars that cost less than $10K and run 130mph. I don't know, but something tells me Frank heard someone saying "you can't do that." And yet he did and they are running it again this year and are talking about adding tracks too.

There would be insurance built into the price. This is a common thing and there are more than one company that offer racing insurance.

Thanks for your thoughts though. Everyone's opinion is welcome.

Comment

I am hoping to not have to rent any tracks.
                              Could you explain to us how you would pull that off?

Frank Kimmel runs a race on a superspeedway with street stock cars that cost less than $10K and run 130mph.
                              I went that fast today on the autobahn, could go faster but my wife yells at me. But a street car is way more safer than anything you have proposed so far.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X