Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology

"The group you speak of are a selfish little lot. They won't be happy until someone else spends their money to build a racing series to fulfill their dreams of some bygone era from 50 years ago that has long since passed them by.

When you start to realize that Indy racing has always been about the quest to build the best race specific machine, incorporating the latest in technology and the drivers to drive them to the limits, then you start to realize how ridiculous it is to try and take Indycar racing back 45 years to some feel good era that most can't even remember anymore."

I'm not allowed to post on the Biz forum but I have a question about the above quote...is the person who wrote this saying that the IRL is using the latest and greatest technology available...did USAC use the latest and greates when offy powered roadsters were dominating the Speedway...

...perhaps a PM to that person would be the best way to address your question?!
    ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Even in Formula One, certain technologies and materials are prohibited, while in NASCAR I'm sure no legal technological advantage is left unspent.

Each series sets its rules and has a certain "bandwidth" of technology that hopefully makes sense. High speed open wheels on ovals demands a pretty high investment in reliability and safety, I'd think.

Part of the appeal for me the last 20 to 30 years has been the 220 - 230 mph speed limit, so a balance needs to be sought. Then again, I "came of age" in the era when the top speed records at Indy jumped from the 170's straight into the 190's, so I'm jaded

Carbon fiber chassis and smaller, lighter, reliable engines seem to be logical factors in reducing impact frequency and violence. These technologies should also become less expensive over time through development. Would you disagree?
      "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

"Even in Formula One, certain technologies and materials are prohibited, while in NASCAR I'm sure no legal technological advantage is left unspent. "

Which, of course, is why the use front engines and carbs...

"Carbon fiber chassis and smaller, lighter, reliable engines seem to be logical factors in reducing impact frequency and violence. These technologies should also become less expensive over time through development. Would you disagree?"

The technology is there to make things cheaper...of course, that was gonna be one of the advantages of the IRL as I recall...

Comment

Sorry you couldn't respond to me over at the biz side Howard.

No, there are limitations. Costs and speeds tend to do that.

43 years ago, racers who ran the top level of OW decided that front engine roadsters were no longer the fastest way around the speedway or most oval tracks at the time for that matter.

Rather than change with the times, USAC chose to not evolve with what was happening at Indy. Instead of taking the one time hit 34 years ago, they chose to remain stagnant and basically set themselves adrift.

Indycar continued to progress to what we have now while USAC fell further and further back. An entire generation and a half has now passed since those old days.

In that time, OW formula car racing has become a world wide hit. F1 is far bigger than NASCAR when you consider the world stage. More drivers became avaliable due to that. Americans now had more competition for limited seats in OW in this country. As has been discussed, especially lately here and at your forum, those grassroots guys haven't been getting the rides for quite some time. They've fallen too far behind to catch up sans a really talented racer like Tony Stewart.

What you and others are proposing is to devolve Indy car racing. To basically say, "yes, the RE cars are superior, but the guys we want to see in those cars aren't cutting it so we need to push back the hands of time to make it easier for them."

I just don't see it happening. I don't understand after all these years why you guys keep frustrating yourselves. Your guys are getting pristine rides in Nascar. They get to run Indy. It's virtually a road course free racing series. Life is too short, enjoy Nascar and be happy those grassroots guys are getting to sell tons of T-shirts.
          Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

"What you and others are proposing is to devolve Indy car racing. To basically say, "yes, the RE cars are superior, but the guys we want to see in those cars aren't cutting it so we need to push back the hands of time to make it easier for them."

I just don't see it happening. I don't understand after all these years why you guys keep frustrating yourselves. Your guys are getting pristine rides in Nascar. They get to run Indy. It's virtually a road course free racing series. Life is too short, enjoy Nascar and be happy those grassroots guys are getting to sell tons of T-shirts."

I don't see it happening either and I've said so for quite a while...as far as easier is concerned Indy cars are, and have been pretty easy for a long time...I believe it was Foyt who said, back in the eighties, that it was about a 90 - 10 deal...car to driver...

The only time sports frustrates me is a missed putt or slice on my part...the whole racing thing has become a comedy of errors that one must accept in form or another...it entertains me to watch a group of folks continue to buy what was originally presented as the needed reason for the IRL...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan
              ...it entertains me to watch a group of folks continue to buy what was originally presented as the needed reason for the IRL...
              ...perhaps for some it has absolutely nothing to do with racing politics, or with what was said and/or proposed 12 years ago by TG or anyone else. Maybe, just maybe some folks simply like IndyCar racing and can enjoy the sport regardless of who the drivers are or who's running the series. Perhaps for some it doesn't involve pouting about something for 7-8 years, or continually reminding folks of something they don't like (as if anyone else really cares), and trying to force their displeasure condescendingly on everyone else who doesn't share it. Some can simply enoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                ...perhaps for some it has absolutely nothing to do with racing politics, or with what was said and/or proposed 12 years ago by TG or anyone else. Maybe, just maybe some folks simply like IndyCar racing and can enjoy the sport regardless of who the drivers are or who's running the series. Perhaps for some it doesn't involve pouting about something for 7-8 years, or continually reminding folks of something they don't like (as if anyone else really cares), and trying to force their displeasure condescendingly on everyone else who doesn't share it. Some can simply enoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
                I love Indy Cars...on ovals...however, I've learned that that doesn't qualify me as a 'real race' fan...

Comment

Our pouting is not taking place on the main forum. You have to come here to see it. We might be raining on your parade, but only because you altered your route and walked under our clouds. There is no rain on your original route. And if you really don't care, why would you come here in the first place?
                  Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161
                    Our pouting is not taking place on the main forum. You have to come here to see it. We might be raining on your parade, but only because you altered your route and walked under our clouds. There is no rain on your original route. And if you really don't care, why would you come here in the first place?

Very observant and an excellent question...I can understand an attempt at a vigorous debate though...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161

...I must have missed the sign or banner that said 'indyracefan is not allowed here', sorry I didn't realize that you were the moderator here.

Comment

...I must have missed the sign or banner that said 'indyracefan is not allowed here', sorry I didn't realize that you were the moderator here.
                        Actually, your first response was a dig at me...nothing to do with the topic...

Comment

I love Indy Cars...on ovals...however, I've learned that that doesn't qualify me as a 'real race' fan...
                          It doesn't qualify you as an Indy Car fan - to be that, you'd have to support the series.

I'll grant that you are a former fan. I don't see any evidence that you are an IndyCar fan now. But, I do realize it's subjective.

I think we're probably all race fans, even if we don't agree. That includes friends of ridebuyers and sons of dirt lovin' short trackers.
                          "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                          ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

...I'm pleasantly surprised you're still a fan at all, an oval fan is better than no fan at all. I prefer ovals too but I don't mind the road-courses, it's the street races I have a real disdain for. I've seen this 'real race fan' thing brought up before and I haven't participated in debating what is or isn't a race fan. I feel no need to start now either, I think it's a stupid argument whoever started it.

Comment

Actually, your first response was a dig at me...mothing to do with the topic...

...no not you personally, just your last sentence. Speaking of digs, wasn't that last sentence a dig to all current fans of the ICS?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X