Champ Car fans should be happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Car fans should be happy

It appears that TG is compromising much more than I anticipated. Him publicly stating the series will end up near a 50/50 split is certainly a major concession for this IRL fan. He's open to Turbos returning, and it sounds like several more Champ Car races will be added in the next year or two.

After 09 the formula will change. Will there be anything for Champ Car fans to dislike in 2010? It's basically CART circa 1992. Does the fact that TG owns the series matter that much? It seems most day-to-day decision making will be done by others now that unification is complete.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

His non-answers on issues like Turbos and Montreal is/was his way of saying "not gonna happen" without saying "not gonna happen."

Comment

Champ Car fans have no excuse to dislike the IRL today. Period.

Unless you are a professional grudge carrier, a fan should be content that the mix of races is alive, and the sport is not run by the owners. I just hope they stay away from all but the absolute best street races, as with rare exception, they have proven to be mostly money sucking financial turds.
      Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

Comment

Dreamracer, you contradicted yourself in the first 19 words.
        ... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James

Comment

?
          Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

Comment

Originally posted by paul-collins
            Dreamracer, you contradicted yourself in the first 19 words.
            Au contraire....not all CC fans are professional grudge carriers. Only the petulent children who occupy the CW bunker.
            For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Noonan
              It appears that TG is compromising much more than I anticipated. Him publicly stating the series will end up near a 50/50 split is certainly a major concession for this IRL fan. He's open to Turbos returning, and it sounds like several more Champ Car races will be added in the next year or two.

After 09 the formula will change. Will there be anything for Champ Car fans to dislike in 2010? It's basically CART circa 1992. Does the fact that TG owns the series matter that much? It seems most day-to-day decision making will be done by others now that unification is complete.
              As an IRL guy, I don't mind the ovals vs. road course split. There will still be a focus and emphasis on not abandoning the ovals. I am optimistic that a good balance will be found that will draw the top racers from all forms of racing. Yes, the golden days of Indy was centered around drivers like Foyt and Rutherford, but it was spiced up with folks like Hill and Stewart.
              You can't chase the American Dream in a hard-top!

Comment

All fans should be happy with what they get out of the deal. A single series with ovals, road courses, street circuits, Indy, KK in a active role, TG with the final word. No one lost, everyone gained. Only the all or nothing people can't accept what has transpired. At this point we all need to just leave them in their hate rooms and quit worrying about what the hell they think.

Who cares? There's bigger, better things to spend time on. A new chapter began today. Drop the flag

Comment

Originally posted by SportscarBruce
                  All fans should be happy with what they get out of the deal. A single series with ovals, road courses, street circuits, Indy, KK in a active role, TG with the final word. No one lost, everyone gained. Only the all or nothing people can't accept what has transpired. At this point we all need to just leave them in their hate rooms and quit worrying about what the hell they think.

Who cares? There's bigger, better things to spend time on. A new chapter began today. Drop the flag

Strangely most of the negative nanny types are missing.
                  New names to check out??
                  Dale Manus

Comment

Originally posted by Indycarjunkie
                    Au contraire....not all CC fans are professional grudge carriers. Only the petulent children who occupy the CW bunker.

Sorry for being too obtuse, dreamracer. ICJ got it though.
                    ... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James

Comment

He's open to Turbos returning,
                      I'm in line with Crispy. He said he was open to the possibility of turbos, but he did not sound like he thought they would return. My belief is the IRL will try to decied on a new engine formula within the next year for 2010. They are not excluding anything (turbos) at this time and might include alternative fuels.

KK in a active role, TG with the final word.
                      Bruce I don't think KK has any voice in IRL operations except as a team owner.
                      Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Noonan
                        It appears that TG is compromising much more than I anticipated. Him publicly stating the series will end up near a 50/50 split is certainly a major concession for this IRL fan.
                        If we keep all the ovals we have now, and then add the best Champ Car races, how would we achieve anything other than 50/50? How is that a compromise?

No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmanus

Strangely most of the negative nanny types are missing.
                          New names to check out??
                          I haven't been over there to see but there's a few unhappy extremist on this side of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler
                            If we keep all the ovals we have now, and then add the best Champ Car races, how would we achieve anything other than 50/50? How is that a compromise?

If you don't give up anything but merely add how is that a loss?

Comment

I haven't been this excited for a racing season since around 1999. I think the Indycar series is going to be very strong in the near future. I'm happy that they're talking about 50/50 for ovals and road courses. That is what attracted me to Indycar in the early 1990s. Although I've stayed loyal to Champcar, I've been very dissappointed over the years to see the ovals dissappearing from the schedule. I like the balance and I'm really excited about where the series is going. If you've been loyal to the IRL since it began, I can understand if you're not thrilled with what you're hearing. It sounds like the series is going to look like CART before the split.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X