Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repeater rumor of a rumor, DP Indycar?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Repeater rumor of a rumor, DP Indycar?

    Someone working in the garages at Daytona told someone who posted somewhere else a rumor that the next IRL car will be a Open Wheel modified version of the Daytona Prototype.



    Anyone else hear this? Any comments on the possibility?

  • #2
    Originally posted by SportscarBruce
    Someone working in the garages at Daytona told someone who posted somewhere else a rumor that the next IRL car will be a Open Wheel modified version of the Daytona Prototype.



    Anyone else hear this? Any comments on the possibility?
    Aren't the DP's tub-frame and steel? If so, I doubt it. Carbon-fiber is way too strong.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jjjanos
      Aren't the DP's tub-frame and steel? If so, I doubt it. Carbon-fiber is way too strong.
      That is correct. Which means, if true, they will be reverting to a sprint car/modifieds design, only with a mid-engine layout.

      Why not make the change complete and just go with a roadster?

      It certainly would be cheaper but would IMO dumb down the series and permanently end Indycar status as an elite form of racing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SportscarBruce
        Someone working in the garages at Daytona told someone who posted somewhere else a rumor that the next IRL car will be a Open Wheel modified version of the Daytona Prototype.



        Anyone else hear this? Any comments on the possibility?
        Dear God, I can only imagine what this would look like. ugggghhhh....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jjjanos
          Aren't the DP's tub-frame and steel? If so, I doubt it. Carbon-fiber is way too strong.

          I'm convinced that if Zanardi had been in a steel tube frame he would still be walking on his God given legs...

          Stan Fox's car broke in half, through the seat, with only moderate impact.

          I work with carbon fiber a lot and the myth of this stuff far exceeds the reality. Carbon fiber is very good under stress, not so good on initial impact and totally useless on secondary impact.
          Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 01-07-2006, 04:08 PM.
          .

          http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
          http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241


          I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

          .

          Comment


          • #6
            Pay attention to the last 1/3 of the video, when it is over consider the state of motor racing and where it is headed. When a road car exceeds a race car in all areas of performance and exotic appeal ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Granted,, Memo hit a bridge and rolled and came back down nose first,,,,,,,, but his car did break in half also. Just one more hit,,,,,,,,,, and Memo's lower body would have been badly injured.

              Is tube frame risky?? What injuries will a solid hit cause?? How do NASCAR drivers take that hit with their unforgiving tank strength cars? I dunno??

              Comment


              • #8
                Please keep the engines in the back.. most people alive that watch the 500 now either were not around or too young to remember when Foyt won in 1964
                "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

                Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

                "Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

                As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

                SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

                Comment


                • #9
                  The IRL seriously looked at cloning the DP engine formula to encourage mft involvement, a level playing field, and variety... but instead went with the Honda only formula.

                  They never looked at a DP chassis. Not even close. That doesnt even make physical sense when you know the differences between the two...

                  'm convinced that if he had been in a steel tube frame he would still be walking on his God given legs...
                  Oh my god. Thats hillarious. CF isnt the end all for puncture impact. Anybody that has worked with it knows that. But you are doubting CF's strength? And saying that a metal skinned tubeframe Reynard would have saved Zanardi's legs? Hhahah. Thats absolutly comical. Where Zanardi was hit he would have, what? Quarter inch steel tubing? And steel sheet over it? Ya, thats going to be REAL comperable. hahaha. Wow.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If this infact does prove to be true, it will be the end of "Indycar" racing. Personaly? I can't stand the Rolex cars. Big, ugly, slow, gutless and sloth like that even sound horrible to boot, I'm trying to invision an OW version of this, I think I'm gonna hurl.

                    So NASCAR is taking over "Indy" style racing now?
                    Last edited by Sybil D. Sobydianz; 01-07-2006, 04:08 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I could be wrong, but I believe an IRL-spec car has NEVER broken apart at the cockpit/survival cell area.

                      I remember watching an F1 race and the commentators talking about CF suspension and how its properties can make it rock solid in the direction it is intended to take force and pressure but paper weak in the other directions.

                      Stan Fox in '95, Jeff Krosnoff in '96 (RIP), and Alex Zanardi in '01 all suffered cockpit breakups in Reynard chassis. Perhaps there was a flaw in the design of those cars. And with Zanardi's crash I doubt anybody could've imagined something like that happening and the forces that were subjected to him.

                      CF is lightyears ahead of tube steel in terms of driver safety if designed correctly and under the assumption that anything can happen.
                      - Make a note of the word 'Gobbly-gook'. I like it and I want to use it more often in conversation.
                      --Yes, sir.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I could be wrong, but I believe an IRL-spec car has NEVER broken apart at the cockpit/survival cell area.
                        ...
                        all suffered cockpit breakups in Reynard chassis. Perhaps there was a flaw in the design of those cars.
                        There was nothing wrong with the tub design of the reynard at the time of Zanardi's incident. In general terms, its VERY similar to current IRL tubs, ChampCar tubs, even F1 tubs in almost all specifications. The three crashes you listed are VERY different in many ways, and only Zanardi's was in equipment relativly equal to what is used now... heck, only Zanardi was in equipment that was current for the time, as well. And only Zanardi's incident had happened AFTER the first IRL chassis was made.

                        If you did that same accident today with an IRL chassis, unfortunatly the damage would be almost identical, although all of the chassis companies took notice and reinforced the foot area of the tub after Zanardi's accidents. At Lola and Panoz, the tub revision was even called "The Zanardi revisions". The forces were simply massive, and thankfully the situation that put Zanardi in that position is something we dont see very often these days... a car sitting on the track, getting hit at a 90 degree angle by another car at full speed. The only reason we havent seen more injuries like it in open wheel racing, is because there havent been many accidents like it in open wheel racing, thankfully.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          they also extended pit speed much farther along pit out. I believe the IRL has as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cygni
                            Oh my god. Thats hillarious. CF isnt the end all for puncture impact. Anybody that has worked with it knows that. But you are doubting CF's strength? And saying that a metal skinned tubeframe Reynard would have saved Zanardi's legs? Hhahah. Thats absolutly comical. Where Zanardi was hit he would have, what? Quarter inch steel tubing? And steel sheet over it? Ya, thats going to be REAL comperable. hahaha. Wow.

                            HA! Cyg', Hopefully,zanardi is reading my comment and getting as big a laugh out of it as you did.
                            Cyg' While I certainly welcome respectful disagreement with any comments I make, calling my comments hillarious and comical is rather insulting and presumptuous. I assume you think you know more about this subject than I do................ I doubt it.
                            Hey Cyg', I would be interested in hearing your technical qualifications to enter a "carbon fiber vs steel tube" debate.
                            Mine are 43 years experience in the design and construction of steel tube space frames, 40 years of experience in design and constuction of steel/alum monocoque and 22 years of experience in carbon fiber design and construction..... all at the top levels of racing.
                            Cyg', you are not the only "internet engineer" who has been sucked into the carbon fiber overhype by the safety paranoids..........

                            Cyg'..... consider this! The only pro level racing in the world that is thriving and growing is the "production" engine/ tube frame classes such as sprint cars, grand am sports cars and nascar. Everybody else has high teched and high priced themselves right out of business........... think about it!
                            Last edited by mac miller; 01-08-2006, 06:29 AM. Reason: additional comment
                            .

                            http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                            http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241


                            I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

                            .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cygni
                              There was nothing wrong with the tub design of the reynard at the time of Zanardi's incident. In general terms, its VERY similar to current IRL tubs, ChampCar tubs, even F1 tubs in almost all specifications. The three crashes you listed are VERY different in many ways, and only Zanardi's was in equipment relativly equal to what is used now... heck, only Zanardi was in equipment that was current for the time, as well. And only Zanardi's incident had happened AFTER the first IRL chassis was made.

                              If you did that same accident today with an IRL chassis, unfortunatly the damage would be almost identical, although all of the chassis companies took notice and reinforced the foot area of the tub after Zanardi's accidents. At Lola and Panoz, the tub revision was even called "The Zanardi revisions". The forces were simply massive, and thankfully the situation that put Zanardi in that position is something we dont see very often these days... a car sitting on the track, getting hit at a 90 degree angle by another car at full speed. The only reason we havent seen more injuries like it in open wheel racing, is because there havent been many accidents like it in open wheel racing, thankfully.
                              Our present IndyCars have an increased amount of side intrusion protection. The tubs themselves are stronger. The side pods are longer and with extra crush material. The nose of the cars have extra crush material so it will flatten out instead of staying pointed. A lot of that came about after Billy Boat's T-bone crash where the other car's nose poked into his cockpit and caused a leg or hip injury.

                              I won't get into any debate about steel tube or CF being making a better chassis/frame.

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎