Barnhart: 18-19 cars in 2006; 'not worried'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnhart: 18-19 cars in 2006; 'not worried'

“Car count is always important,” said IRL president Brian Barnhart, but he’s not worried about the possibility of running 18 or 19 cars. “That’s obviously not our desire or our goal, but it’s still more than [Champ Car] has had, and they showed you can still put on competent shows with that many [cars],” he said.
    AutoWeek

Oh, great. 18 cars. I feel better now.
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Why do IMS officials continue to bring ChampCar into these discussions? Why can't they just go their own way, and do their own thing?

I thought IMS took the high road and never even mentioned other series.

Comment

The problem is perception.
        How can either series sell themselves as "major league" when they are only putting 18 - 19 cars on the grid?
        Things are NOT getting better.
        "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
        -Norman Mailer-

Comment

When did CC regularly run with less than 18 cars ?

So now Lies are part of the 'High Road' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Invader Zim
            When did CC regularly run with less than 18 cars ?
            They never reguarly ran with less than 18. It is an absolute lie by BB. I don't think there were ever even a single event with less than 18 cars. (Maybe there was a race where a team withdrew due to crash damage or driver injury that started less than 18? The attempt to imply that less than 18 cars is a regular occurance is pretty unethical.)

Does anyone know what the minimum car counts are in IRL promoter agreements?

Comment

I thought it was interesting that Brian Barnhart thinks that ChampCar puts on "competent shows."
              "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." --- Ayrton Senna

Comment

What I really think is interesting is the timing of all of this.

It's Thanksgiving week. For all intents and purposes, business is closed for the year. Which brings us to next year. Let's say Honda is officially left as the IRL's lone remaining supplier.

This gives teams without season programs all of 4 months to scrounge up sponsorship money. Budgets will have been in and done for a couple of months now, and the teams are left with telling sponsor X, "We'd be running Hondas this year. Same engine that swept the points and Indy 500 last year."

Of course, if sponsor X has done any research, he'd know that Honda has selected its favorites for a couple of years already, and most likely so for this year too. Basically, they are being sold a program to be grid-fillers in the IRL.
                "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by morden
                  LOL, what a great quote.

Keep following that ChampCar business plan.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by SLKRR
                    I thought it was interesting that Brian Barnhart thinks that ChampCar puts on "competent shows."
                    My sentiments exactly. Well that is taking the high road.

Comment

Grid fillers like Hemelgarn and Vision just got a lot better.
                      We flipped our finger to the King of England
                      Stole our country from the Indians
                      With god on our side and guns in our hands
                      We took it for our own!

Comment

When you only have 18 regulars, you need to add 15 cars to get to 33 for the Indy 500.

Think they're up to it?

jono

Comment

All of this is why even TSO is saying that there's only a 75% chance of having 18 cars next season. (And that included things that are far from a given, like Vision adding a 2nd car. It also assumes that Hemelgarn, Panther, and Cheever all answer the bell.)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob
                            All of this is why even TSO is saying that there's only a 75% chance of having 18 cars next season. (And that included things that are far from a given, like Vision adding a 2nd car. It also assumes that Hemelgarn, Panther, and Cheever all answer the bell.)
                            There's a 100% chance of 18 cars IMO, Tony won't let it go under CCWS, the BB comments indicate they're glancing over. But I think the "KK's wallet" comments can be dispensed with, as TG reaches deep into his...

I know a merger is dead, but the IRL's 18 and CCWS's 18 makes 36 for the Indy 500. I can dream, can't I?

jono

Comment

Jono, your Chip Ganassi sig line seems more and more prophetic.
                              DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X