Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Toyota Pull Out?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...511180496/1052
    Some people are like a Slinky .... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile
    when you shove them down the stairs.

To save everyone from having to read the entire article for one line. Here's the info:

Officials from the IRL and Honda met this week in a move to have the engine manufacturer prepared to supply the entire field next season, if necessary. Toyota is losing teams; Chevrolet has withdrawn. . . .
    Honda has said they could supply 33 equal engines in 2007. Looks like they're going to have to come up with a plan to do it in 2006.

Otherwise, they'll be stuck giving KK a call to see if Cosworth can bail them out.

I wonder what would happen if Honda says, "We told you we wanted competition, and you assured us you were going to get it. Now, the opposite has happened."

Comment

The fans in the stands are just sitting there wringing their hands over who will supply the engines over the next few years.

Comment

This is sort of what you had to figure would happen. I mean did folks really expect Toyota to stick around with Vision and Cheever as their top teams?

The issue now is if Honda is the spec engine, what about their house teams? It hardly seems fair to the rest to have the only supplier of engines with a vested interest in the success of one or two teams. Can anyone justify Honda paying bills and/or giving free engines to AGR when Honda is the only option?

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco
          The fans in the stands are just sitting there wringing their hands over who will supply the engines over the next few years.
          Honestly I think a Toyota pull out would be the best thing for the series right now. This may make the acquisition of the hardware a whole lot easier. If so this would give the league plenty of spare engines and so on to bring in more teams at a fractional cost.

And it may help to shore up 33 for Indy

So it's not all doom and gloom.

The only down side I see is that this may stretch the Honda supply thin come May. I guess if a team with a small budget is willing to run Indy with no chance at winning then Toyota (or former Toyota hardware) is the way to go. It wouldn't be the first time teams just showed up for a check.
          Some people are like a Slinky .... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM
            This is sort of what you had to figure would happen. I mean did folks really expect Toyota to stick around with Vision and Cheever as their top teams?

The issue now is if Honda is the spec engine, what about their house teams? It hardly seems fair to the rest to have the only supplier of engines with a vested interest in the success of one or two teams. Can anyone justify Honda paying bills and/or giving free engines to AGR when Honda is the only option?
            Well... they would be required to per their contract, but as with all things money talks and even companies walk.
            Man to Man is so unjust... there's no Man you can Trust.

Comment

Originally posted by aportinga
              Honestly I think a Toyota pull out would be the best thing for the series right now. This may make the acquisition of the hardware a whole lot easier. If so this would give the league plenty of spare engines and so on to bring in more teams at a fractional cost.

And it may help to shore up 33 for Indy

So it's not all doom and gloom.

The only down side I see is that this may stretch the Honda supply thin come May. I guess if a team with a small budget is willing to run Indy with no chance at winning then Toyota (or former Toyota hardware) is the way to go. It wouldn't be the first time teams just showed up for a check.

Are you talking about spare Toyota engines? Are not most of those leased engines? How many 2005 toyota teams own the engine outright?
              You should avoid making yourself too clear even in your explanations -

Baltasar Gracian, Spanish philosopher

Comment

I believe TG was also in discussions to pick up that hardware - no mention of 'leases'. sounded like a hardware acquisition only which I would see as engines.

If that's the case I think it would suit the series just fine.

Comment

I'm curious. Do you think the Penske Toyotas and the Ganassi Toyotas are still in the respective teams possesion?

I'm curious as to what Toyota would sell to someone. Blocks and heads only?
                  You should avoid making yourself too clear even in your explanations -

Baltasar Gracian, Spanish philosopher

Comment

Penske may have owned his engines because he was doing the rebuids.
                    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

If TG Buys TRD, and toyota agrees, they could just 'give' engines to the teams on the bubble, and a few people wanting to run Indy. easily get to a 33 car field at indy and keep everyone from '05 and maybe more in engines through '06.
                      "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Comment

I thought series owners buying engines and giving them to teams for little or no cost was a bad thing.

Comment

Could Toyota simply agree to badge the engines, then allow the teams to modify or improve them to make them competitive, or turn them over to builders to sub lease?
                          "Moralism is often the first strength of a weak mind"
                          -Norman Mailer-

Comment

I thought series owners buying engines and giving them to teams for little or no cost was a bad thing.
                            Not at all. It's the only thing to do if the manufacturers won't spend the money. In the case of the IRL, Honda is still spending enough to field 26-28 cars this year and all 33 next year and Toyota is still committed to this year, at least as far as we know. If Tony does anything, it will be to ensure a supply of engines for the last few cars needed to fill the field at Indy. That's a far cry from supplying the entire field for the entire season for years.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob

Now where would you get that idea? Next thing you are going to tell us that you had heard the owner of the series being a team owner was also bad, or that dropping ovals and adding Street and road courses was bad.
                              After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X