Edmonton Race contract extended through 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Race contract extended through 2010

So much for the supposed trouble in Edmonton. Enjoy the read.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/20827/
    Last edited by pitwall3; 11-18-2005, 01:01 AM.

Edmonton is the future of openwheel racing. Airport circuits downtown.

The racing is good on airport tracks. I don't mind.

Comment

Good move to extend it after the first year. If history repeats itself with Champ Car street festivals it will start to decine in attendance and it will be put up for sale costing KK and Champ Car more money to keep the IRL out.

Comment

What I find funny is, as of this moment, the first thread on this page is "Edmondton trouble," and then the next one down is ""Edmondton race contract extended through 2010."
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
          What I find funny is, as of this moment, the first thread on this page is "Edmondton trouble," and then the next one down is ""Edmondton race contract extended through 2010."
          and you can expect a new JJ/JDSU thread any moment now

Comment

That is good news. Now if we can get the rest of the Champ Car circuit to have extensions like that AND if we can get some good sponsors for BOTH series' we'll all be one big happy family.

Nah.

Comment

I'd be interested to know how Edmonton was pulled off with so few hitches and did so well, while San Jose had no end of problems despite being under Singleton's guidance, and Ansan completely imploded.

Seems like credit should go more to the Edmonton promoter than the series. I recall reading that they had been planning for 5 years before they landed the race, sounds like they were just better businessmen who where far more prepared than the others.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                and you can expect a new JJ/JDSU thread any moment now
                Is that sort of like the SS/DD thread?
                "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                  Is that sort of like the SS/DD thread?
                  No, its like the PP/GP story.....
                  "We won a few races here and there, but the magic died the day Helmet melted." - Doc Austin on slotcar champion Michael Shannon

Comment

Let me be the first INDY Car fan to state that this is postive news for CC.......
                    the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Originally posted by jonovision_man
                      I'd be interested to know how Edmonton was pulled off with so few hitches and did so well, while San Jose had no end of problems despite being under Singleton's guidance, and Ansan completely imploded.

Seems like credit should go more to the Edmonton promoter than the series. I recall reading that they had been planning for 5 years before they landed the race, sounds like they were just better businessmen who where far more prepared than the others.

jono
                      Don't forget the Edmonton fans jo. They supported the race very well. Edmonton is a real hotbed of racing, and I expect the race to do well there no matter who ends up there.
                      ...Always follow the money

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal
                        Don't forget the Edmonton fans jo. They supported the race very well. Edmonton is a real hotbed of racing, and I expect the race to do well there no matter who ends up there.
                        Wishful thinking.

Edmonton fans are great, but I was refering more to the logistic elements.

San Jose had the problem with the rail tracks, Ansan didn't make it at all. It just seems like the promoter in Edmonton had done this before while SJ was floundering despite what looked like an experienced staff. Ansan was just a total failure by everyone involved.

jono

Comment

Ansans basic problem is there are about 500 people in Korea who know what a champ car is. If there were 10,000 rabid race fans in the Ansan area who were dying for a race to happen, the promotor would be taking this whole deal a little more seriously.

As for SJ, it's kinda the same deal. IMHO The only reason the race came off at all in SJ is because KK and some of his cronies needed to keep their ponzie scheme...er.... I mean....charity in the news, and the SJ race was the best way to do that. I understand they might co-promote the event with moto-cross in the future.
                          ...Always follow the money

Comment

Originally posted by pitwall3
                            So much for the supposed trouble in Edmonton. Enjoy the read.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/20827/
                            Good news if they fulfill the contract. The news does not mention a major sponsor, which means someone has to pick up the tab for sanctioning and promotion. I do not recall if CCWS did all the promotion this year or not, but I think it is reasonable to assume that if a sponsor cannot garner the sponsorship, there is little chance to make money on this race given all the expenses.

Not intended to be a dig, but did Ansan alos sign a contract? If so, the point is a contract is only cause for an announcement. I think until a major sponsor steps forward, Wilkie's thread still stands.
                            “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” -- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal
                              Ansans basic problem is there are about 500 people in Korea who know what a champ car is. If there were 10,000 rabid race fans in the Ansan area who were dying for a race to happen, the promotor would be taking this whole deal a little more seriously.

As for SJ, it's kinda the same deal. IMHO The only reason the race came off at all in SJ is because KK and some of his cronies needed to keep their ponzie scheme...er.... I mean....charity in the news, and the SJ race was the best way to do that. I understand they might co-promote the event with moto-cross in the future.
                              How is that different from Edmonton? There wasn't much knowledge about CC before the race came, but they stirred up enough excitement and promoted it, got a big crowd.

The San Jose crowd wasn't the problem, they showed up and filled the place. I'm talking about the delays on Friday, the jump over the railway tracks, the crappy layout with no passing opportunities...

jono

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X