Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real reason for the Montreal decline.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real reason for the Montreal decline.

It seems that the sharp drop in attendance for this years race is being blamed soley on the promoter. That may or may not be the case, what I'd like to see is a little more evidence of that one way or another.

We know for a fact less grandstands were put up. It would seem that that would be a good reason that the attendence was down. The only problem with that was that the few grandstands that were there were not sold out. It seems more likely that all an additional 10 grandstands would have done is look very empty on TV.

There has been talk that promotion was down. How so? I don't know, I'm asking. Is there any actual proof that NL did much less promoting of this race this year compared to past years? If so, in which ways? I recall seeing something in the press about the time of this whole fiasco that the promoter said that he had spent more on promotion this year than in past years. Maybe someone can find that quote.

So, why did this race really tank?

This race was doomed from the beginning. From day one, it was going to be seen as a minor league race trying to grasp the coattails of its much larger brother and when sponsors and fans had a choice, they went with F-1. Attendance was decent the first year but started to fall and then dropped like a rock when Carpentier left the series.

Comment

Or, the promoter removed a ton of grandstand seats, and then told the world that grandstand seats were sold out.

People don't walk up to a race that they think is sold out.

Comment

Joebob, the grandstands werent sold out so y should it matter if some were taken down? Do you have any critisms of the CCWS? Cause you have plenty for the IRL.
        "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Sure, that's it. That explains why attendance was way down last year.

Comment

Isn't the reason the IRL hasn't succeeded due to a lack of promotion?

Just wondering, seems both series should be allowed to use the same excuse to cover their lack of appeal to the general public.
            Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

all mu opinion here.....

Montreal is an awesome city....certainly capapble of supporting a second race, wheteher it CC or other...

I believe something is askew withn CC and Legault......

I believe Legault didn't do all that he should or cold have to make this years race as successful as possible......

with that said....the blame lays squarely at the door of CC......they allowed it to happen.... they should have been on top of the situation long before they arrived to find that promotion was down and stands hadn't been erected or tickets sold......in fact I find it hard to believe that theywere as 'blindsided'as they claim....

my two cents.....and hoping CC returns for many mnay more races

Comment

Interest was down, Champcar is regarded as not nearly as ritzy as F1, there was NO promotion in the city (or so my friends there say), grandstands (some of the best ones at that) were taken down, and many people were still wondering about the year before when there were also problems with the race caused by Legault and former promoter Alain Labrosse which made the whole thing look like amateur hour.

It was all of those factors which played a role.

I would like to say, however, that if you look at the grandstands that WERE up, they were definitely packed on race day, whether they were sold out or not. Unfortunately my favourite grandstand was gone and my friends decided we weren't going because of that...wonder how many others that happened to...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                  From day one, it was going to be seen as a minor league race trying to grasp the coattails of its much larger brother and when sponsors and fans had a choice, they went with F-1.
                  Just curious - you said on the other thread you thought Montreal was possible for the IRL.

What makes you think it would be seen any differently?

F1 is fantastic, given the choice I would always choose F1 over either the IRL or CCWS. But I'd rather not choose and just go to all of it.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by jonovision_man
                    Just curious - you said on the other thread you thought Montreal was possible for the IRL.

What makes you think it would be seen any differently?
                    In fairness, I believe Mr. Wilke acknowledged as much last week. He however seems to have an overinflated impression of what Carpentier means to the Montreal gate (not much).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                      with that said....the blame lays squarely at the door of CC......they allowed it to happen.... they should have been on top of the situation long before they arrived to find that promotion was down and stands hadn't been erected or tickets sold......in fact I find it hard to believe that theywere as 'blindsided'as they claim....
                      I think this could apply equally to the Ansan situation. They should have had someone on top of that problem, as well.
                      "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." --- Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by Legaleez
                        In fairness, I believe Mr. Wilke acknowledged as much last week. He however seems to have an overinflated impression of what Carpentier means to the Montreal gate (not much).
                        It's kind of like here in Toronto, though. If Tracy weren't here, I'm sure the race would do fine, but at the same time they use him a lot in the media to drum up the local attention and support. It just helps the race connect with the community, something to build on year over year.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by SLKRR
                          I think this could apply equally to the Ansan situation. They should have had someone on top of that problem, as well.
                          couldn't agree more.....

I feel CC made some substantial strides in 05'.....but the Ansan situation, the Montreal question marks, and the track in San Jose will stand out as low points.....

I'm not to worried about San Jose as it moves forward.....Ansan might be run next year, but i have a feeling it will again be dropped as a second race in either China or japan never materializes......

Montreal?....who knows....perhaps CC will buy the rights and use the same group to promote as they use in Toronto.....not sure that's possible, but it could work

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                            couldn't agree more.....

I feel CC made some substantial strides in 05'.....but the Ansan situation, the Montreal question marks, and the track in San Jose will stand out as low points.....

I'm not to worried about San Jose as it moves forward.....Ansan might be run next year, but i have a feeling it will again be dropped as a second race in either China or japan never materializes......

Montreal?....who knows....perhaps CC will buy the rights and use the same group to promote as they use in Toronto.....not sure that's possible, but it could work
                            Bingo...you stole my thought. KK should buy all the venues so we can all stop talking about lack of promotion and erecting grandstands.
                            “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” -- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by Legaleez

[and many people were still wondering about the year before when there were also problems with the race caused by Legault and former promoter Alain Labrosse which made the whole thing look like amateur hour.]
                              "amateur hour" seems a common theme at CC races............
                              the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X