Molson ends sponsorship of Montreal Indy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molson ends sponsorship of Montreal Indy

Montreal's Champ Car event is looking for a new title sponsor in 2006.

Molson, which has sponsored the race since 2002, says the decision was made following a thorough assessment of its sponsorship activities.

"We came to the conclusion that we should focus our investments on activities that are more representative of the Molson Dry brand and of its consumers' interests," says Richard Moisan, Director, Trade Marketing and Events, for Molson in Quebec.

There has been a lot of speculation surrounding the fate of the Champ Car event in Montreal following this year's disappointing performance at the turnstiles.
    TSN

Comment

That upward momentum seems to be in high gear,lately.
      ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Legault says Molson's withdrawl will have no effect on next year's running of the race.

"The contract binding our group to Champ Car World Series anticipates the presentation of a round of this championship in Montreal in 2006, a round which was already announced when the schedule was released by the series organizers last August," he said.

"In the coming weeks, in co-operation with Champ Car series organizers, our team will be busy pursuing initial discussions with companies that would like to associate themselves with the event as a sponsor as of 2006.

"We intend to disclose as soon as possible the new name of the event, scheduled for August 25-27, 2006."

The news that Molson is ending its sponsorship of the race comes in the wake of the company's decision to sell the promotional rights to the Toronto Champ Car event. However, Molson will remain as title sponsor of the Toronto race, which was purchased by Series officials Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe.
        One upside for ICS fans: This likely means the end of the "Indy" name for all but one CCWS event.

Comment

Might be an "Indy" again after '06. Molson's association with CC has gone from THE major Canadian promoter and sponsor to sponsor of Toronto. Gone: Toronto and Vancouver promotion AND sponsorship and Montreal sponsorship, plus no TV production deal for the series....in two short years.

Like Dover....from promoter of St. Pete, Denver and Long Beach to the CC sidelines in two short years.
          "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Montreal is a different case. He's interested in NASCAR in '07. He's only got 2 dates a year to play with (F1 isn't going anywhere).

Molson probably saw the writing on the wall: Legault's got one last year on his contract for the Champ Cars. Like this year, expect another drop in promotion and, subsequently, attendance for '06.

Why would Molson want to associate with a likely failure? I like Molson, it sucks they won't be returning, but they may have made the right call here.

Comment

No doubt a hit on CCWS. However, I suspect it has more to do with the Coors corporate strategy as opposed to a failed program.

Is Molson still doing the NHL production?

-TU

Comment

Interesting that the word PROMOTION is front and centre in Molson's explanation. Maybe Legault's Amateur Hour crap disappointed them a lot.

Continuing on from that, I doubt you'll see anyone take over for Molson in sponsoring this race for 2006. After that it looks like Legault has other plans. If those other plans don't involve the word "NASCAR", things are only going to continue to get worse.

People wonder why the Montreal GP, the most popular among drivers and fans alike, which brings in 300000 people and is broadcast to billions worldwide, has trouble finding a title sponsor. One need look no further than Legault.

Comment

Interesting that Molson dumped Toronto and now bailed out of Montreal. One would think that as soon as Molson's contract in Toronto is done, they'll bail there, too.

As IC pointed out, from promoting 3 'Molson Indy' events down to being a sponsor - maybe - on one. That ain't all Legault's fault.

And I wonder how many more posts it will take before somebody claims that Tony George is trying to steal Molson away........

Comment

Originally posted by Legaleez
                    People wonder why the Montreal GP, the most popular among drivers and fans alike, which brings in 300000 people and is broadcast to billions worldwide, has trouble finding a title sponsor. One need look no further than Legault.
                    .....or maybe it doesn't have the wild following that you claim. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a fantastic circuit for sure but I think you're quoting F1 numbers there sparky.
                    For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

Originally posted by Indycarjunkie
                      .....or maybe it doesn't have the wild following that you claim. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a fantastic circuit for sure but I think you're quoting F1 numbers there sparky.

Come on - he said it was BROADCAST to billions. He didn't say how many were watching.

Paid programming at 4AM is BROADCAST to millions, but probably only gets a few thousand watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                        And I wonder how many more posts it will take before somebody claims that Tony George is trying to steal Molson away........
                        I don't know. Let's go ask Mr. Owl....

THREE!

I bet TG is trying to steal Molson away.....

Comment

Interesting that Molson dumped Toronto and now bailed out of Montreal. One would think that as soon as Molson's contract in Toronto is done, they'll bail there, too.

As IC pointed out, from promoting 3 'Molson Indy' events down to being a sponsor - maybe - on one. That ain't all Legault's fault.

I suspect Mr. KK needs to get out his checkbook to protect his assets. This five year business plan is getting more rewrites than a cheap novel.
                          “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” -- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Comment

Where did I say it was "all" Legault's fault?

"One would think"...as in "you" would think. The event has had a bit of a downturn but if it comes back (or even stops downturning) then I doubt they'll leave. The difference in public awareness between the Montreal and the Toronto races is huge.
                            As for Tony stealing Molson's...he couldn't if he tried. They'd want nothing more to do with Indycar than they do with Champcar. The only "car" they'll be interested in is one that starts with "NAS"...and I don't mean that gangsta rapper all the kids are talking about. A "car" which, by the way, is a proud owner of the CASCAR Canadian series which races at...TORONTO!.

Comment

Deffinitly sucks for ChampCar. Alot of people predicted this would happen when Molson got gobbled up, and i guess i was a little bit of an optimist in thinking it wouldnt. Molson is getting out of ANYTHING not directly beer making related it seems... from promotion, to TV production, to sponsorship... profitable or not (Molstar Productions was certainly profitable). Oh well.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X