G. Rahal Tests MIPS Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. Rahal Tests MIPS Car

Guess his previous statements that Mark C.'s site blasted out weren't an entire condemnation of trying one of these out.

Rahal Tests Menards Infiniti Pro Series Car

NEW ALBANY, Ohio, Nov. 14 - Bobby Rahal's 16-year-old son Graham completed a very successful test of a Menards Infiniti Pro Series car last week at Putnam Park Road Course in Mount Meridian, Ind.

The test was conducted by last year's championship-winning team, Sam Schmidt Motorsports. Three of the team's cars finished third through fifth in the entrant standings this year in the series, which is the official support series for the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series.

The railbirds watching Rahal were impressed.

"Graham once again showed me why he has a bright future in racing," said his
    driver coach, Mike Zimicki. "On a less than ideal day and in an unfamiliar
    car he quickly got down to and then surpassed previously quick times. He
    listens, absorbs information and then applies it."

Schmidt, a veteran IRL driver himself, said giving Rahal some seat time was
    an important step for both of them. "I have been keeping my eye on Graham these past couple years and firmly believe the Infiniti Pro Series is the ideal
    format to showcase his talents," Schmidt said. "He displayed confidence and
    did a fantastic job at the test. He was very consistent in his approach and was able to improve the car and his speed on every run."

"Graham showed me he is definitely a true racer," said Tim Neff, technical
    director for Sam Schmidt Motorsports. "Even though he had no prior experience in the car and this level of horsepower, he adapted to the Dallara chassis and the speeds very quickly. Graham exhibited good car control and excellent chassis information feedback."

"It rained some, but I did about 40 laps," the rising star said. "The car is
    a lot of fun; it's really, really fast. It handled well, but the power was
    the best thing. Power-wise, it had plenty."

Rahal finished fourth in his rookie season in the Star Mazda championship
    presented by Goodyear this year. Driving the Andersen Walko Racing No. 12
    sponsored by The Bobby Rahal Automotive Group, Bosch, Renier Construction and Norwalk Furniture, he became the youngest driver ever to win a pro Star Mazda race when he was victorious at Portland (Ore.) International Raceway in July.

In September he became the youngest SCCA National Championship Runoffs winner ever when he captured the Formula Atlantic championship at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. His triumph came three decades after his father won the Runoffs title in the Formula Atlantic precursor, then called Formula B.

Rahal's Web site is located at grahamrahal.com, while his sponsor's Web site
    is at bobbyrahal.com.
    "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

MIPS forum?

In other news, maybe the 50/50 road/oval ratio will get Graham in a MIPS seat and not an Atlantics ride.

Comment

In order to get a seat racing in the Pro Series, I believe Graham would also need a couple birthday's, but I'm checking on that.
      We flipped our finger to the King of England
      Stole our country from the Indians
      With god on our side and guns in our hands
      We took it for our own!

Comment

Think you're right, step. But the fact he tested one somewhat dilutes all the "lookee here, Rahal's kid is going to Atlantics and Champ Car,so Rahal must be leaving the IRL, too" talk.
        "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Only from your POV. The reality, the real deal, is that race car drivers drive race cars. The more different types, the faster they learn and the better they adapt to any new car/series. Testing an IPS car at a club road course is hardly the same as entering the IPS.

Originally posted by indycool
          Think you're right, step. But the fact he tested one somewhat dilutes all the "lookee here, Rahal's kid is going to Atlantics and Champ Car,so Rahal must be leaving the IRL, too" talk.
          "I have examined all the known superstitions of the world and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnson999
            Only from your POV. The reality, the real deal, is that race car drivers drive race cars. The more different types, the faster they learn and the better they adapt to any new car/series. Testing an IPS car at a club road course is hardly the same as entering the IPS.
            but it shows a certian interest level that some sources have claimed was NOT there......as previously stated, Graham may be a few years away from IPS due to his age.......
            the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Graham has a lot of growing up to do and needs to learn how to keep his mouth under control. At 16, he doesn't need to be telling the world he'd rather drive in CC or the IRL or F-1. At 16, he needs to do exactly what his dad wants him to do. There's plenty of time to show how smart he is when he really knows everything.

Comment

The reality, the real deal, is that race car drivers drive race cars. The more different types, the faster they learn and the better they adapt to any new car/series.
                I agree with this statement. It is most important for Graham to be exposed to as many different racecars and formulas as possible in order to hone his skills. Similar to what Marco is doing by some MIPS races while also running other developmental series.

Also I believe the MIPS minimum age may be down to 16 for 2006 now that the oval/RC split is 50/50.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                  Graham has a lot of growing up to do and needs to learn how to keep his mouth under control.
                  That same statement can be made about 99.9% of all 16-year-olds. Get off his back.

Comment

Once a driver starts representing 'others' be they sponsors, team, etc. they become responsible for their statements - 16, 20, 25, or otherwise.

There are no free passes, that's part of the racing 'game'.
                    We flipped our finger to the King of England
                    Stole our country from the Indians
                    With god on our side and guns in our hands
                    We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by stnkypete
                      That same statement can be made about 99.9% of all 16-year-olds. Get off his back.
                      I don't think anybody would argue that.......I also don't hear anyone "on his back".....I wish I was 16 again and knew everything..........

(MY Dad got a lot smarter as I got older........ )
                      the man in expensive shoes

Comment

I'd want to race against a large competitive field myself, that's not going to happen in MIPS. Will there be 8 or 9 cars next season?
                        Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Originally posted by Indyknut
                          I'd want to race against a large competitive field myself, that's not going to happen in MIPS. Will there be 8 or 9 cars next season?
                          I'd say with the purse increase that they've announced, the car count should be a lot better.
                          Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
                          Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Exactly, Graham Rahal will be racing full time in 2006 in the Champ Car Atlantic Series. That's what he says and it's for sure. It's the best next step for his career.

Comment

Per Speed article today, Graham has to be 18 to compete in MIPS at any race where MIPS and IRL run together (due to Marlboro sponsorship). So, the plan is a one-off at USGP.

“It was through my dad - I haven’t met Sam in person actually. We looked into it because obviously Sam Schmidt is a top Pro Series team, and we would like to do the IPS race with Formula 1 at Indianapolis, to race in front of all the F1 guys like we did last year with Formula BMW.

“We can’t race any other Pro Series races with the IRL though; I’m still underage, apparently because Marlboro’s sponsorship in IndyCar means drivers must be over 18 to participate in an IRL race.”It was through my dad - I haven’t met Sam in person actually. We looked into it because obviously Sam Schmidt is a top Pro Series team, and we would like to do the IPS race with Formula 1 at Indianapolis, to race in front of all the F1 guys like we did last year with Formula BMW.

It does appear the Atlantic plans have changed in that Graham plans to sign with an established team rather than Rahal starting their own team.
                              BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X