So, how much money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how much money

was raised for Amber Alert, by them sponsoring the Amber Alert 300 @ Kentucky? Did it cost them money? What did they pay, how much did they get back?

I don't know. I do know that the Hulman-George family and related companies and foundations have very quietly donated millions over the years.

Comment

I don't think the event or the pre-race ceremony was intended or advertised as a fund raiser - it was rather one of several events used to promote awareness of the Amber Alert web portal.

http://iframe.amberalert911.com/news...799b4199452d68

I was there, and they did "initiate" the web portal as part of the pre-race ceremony, and presumably the web portal got mentions in print and on-air.

Sounds to me like they delivered just what they promised to, and nothing was overstated. You could do your own research, though, ray

The Hulman-Georges have prominently supported the Red Cross, dating back to the WWI ambulance driving that Tony Hulman did over in Europe (prior to U.S. involvement), through many big co-promotions at IMS and via the IndyCar website. They also support the greyhound racing dog adoption stuff, and spinal injury research, IIRC.

If it's any consolation, ray, I don't pay much attention to the Canary Fund threads
      "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
      ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

from the press release:

SPARTA, KY. – Kentucky Speedway will play a role in the statewide rollout of the AMBER Alert Web Portal system by hosting “The AMBER Alert Indy 300” Indy Racing League IndyCar Series event on August 14.

The event will take place on the same day the AMBER Alert Web Portal system is introduced to law enforcement agencies statewide. The portal will expand the state’s current kidnapping alert network – which broadcasts messages to TV, radio and electronic highway signs – to include cell phones, beepers, Personal Digital Assistants, email, computer desktops and lottery terminals, among others.

“We’re honored to be associated with this important initiative that will protect children throughout Kentucky,” Kentucky Speedway Executive Vice President and General Manager Mark F. Cassis said. “Children are our most important priority, and we’re proud that Kentucky Speedway can play an integral role in the AMBER Alert Portal introduction through this unique sponsorship.”

In the event of a kidnapping, police officers can upload information on the child or kidnapper – including pictures, physical descriptions and the location of the crime – into the AMBER Alert Web Portal from their squad cars. Once the information is approved by the state’s AMBER Alert coordinator, it is disseminated to the public and relevant government agencies. The portal features sophisticated hardware and software that enables law enforcement to concentrate their broadcast messages in the vicinity of a kidnapping and expand that area as time elapses. Citizens are a crucial part of the AMBER Alert system’s success, providing law enforcement with the eyes and ears they need to gather information and help save a child.

Kentucky State Police will be able to issue an alert in five to 10 minutes through the portal, approximately 30 minutes quicker than the current system. Nearly 75 percent of homicides associated with child kidnappings occur within the first three hours of abduction. Kentucky has issued 11 alerts and successfully located 14 children ranging in age from newborn to 16 years. The state first activated the system on July 23, 2003. The most recent Kentucky activation was on April 20, 2005.

"The AMBER Alert Web Portal represents one way Kentucky is working to provide law enforcement officers as well as citizens with the most up-to-date information about a missing child," said Lt. Gov. Steve Pence. “This Web-based tool equips officers with the ability to receive critical data almost instantaneously, when minutes, even seconds count. This portal could mean the difference between life and death. We're calling on the public to sign up to receive AMBER Alerts and send the message to kidnappers that if you take a child, we will all be looking for you."

Arizona, Idaho, Missouri, Montana, Oregon and Washington have implemented the new AMBER Alert Web Portal, making Kentucky the seventh state to go live. The portal has already resulted in the successful recovery of a kidnapped child in Washington.

"We are proud to welcome the Commonwealth of Kentucky into the AMBER Alert Portal Consortium," said Todd Sander, Chief Operating Officer of the Consortium. "Parents in Kentucky can sleep better tonight knowing that this revolutionary Portal Technology can aid in the safe recovery of abducted children. We look forward to bringing that peace of mind to every parent in America."

The AMBER Alert system is fully funded by the AMBER Alert Web Portal Consortium, a public/private partnership which includes the government of Kentucky, the National Association of State Chief Information Officers, non-governmental organizations and the business community. The portal counts HP, Intel and ESRI among its national contributors.

"Today's launch of the most sophisticated AMBER Alert system in the nation stands as an example of what can be accomplished when the public and private sectors work together," said Granger Whitelaw, Chairman of the AMBER Development Group. "From police precincts to corporate board rooms, state capitals to neighborhood watches, the message is clear: if you even think of taking a child, we will all be looking for you."

Citizens are encouraged to sign up to receive alerts at http://www.AMBERalert.com.
        hmmm - the AMber Alert Portal is "fully funded" so no need for raising funds there

and the purpose of the relationship with the track and the event is clearly identified:

to "play a role in the statewide rollout of the AMBER Alert Web Portal system"

no mention of raising funds - period

which you could have figured out with a simple Google Search or visit to the tracks website

that would've ruined your agenda though would'nt it?

feel free to provide ANY indication from ANY source that the event or the relationship was ever intended to in any way raise funds

the bottom line is you can not - which makes your post clear for the troll that it is - unfortunately a successful troll requires some small shred of fact - which is sadly missing here .....

Comment

Originally posted by cleanupcrew
          which makes your post clear for the troll that it is - unfortunately a successful troll requires some small shred of fact - which is sadly missing here .....
          But implying all kinds of criminal activity (not just Canary Fund) with no knowledge of the applicable laws or without a full knowledge of the facts as they pertain to such laws is all good?

Ok. Just so we're clear.
          The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

as far as the Hulman-George contribution to good casues - I would start with the funding of the SAFER barrier

heres just a few others:

Mari Hulman-George Lecture Series in Neurobiology

Hulman Memorial Student Union - Indiana University

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

Terre Haute International Airport Hulman Field

In the 1980s and beyond, family members also turned their attention to Indianapolis beneficiaries as business interests led them in that direction. Gifts included $3.5 million in December 1985 to the Indianapolis Museum of Art from Mari as trustee of the Mary Fendrich Hulman Charitable Trust; it helped finance the $8.5 million, five-story Mary Fendrich Hulman Pavilion.

A year later, Tony George returned to alma mater Indiana State University to present $2 million from the Mary Fendrich Hulman Charitable Trust for an $8.65 million student union complex. In 1988, Mary gave her Evansville childhood home to Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.

link

Mari Hulman George School of Equine Studies at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College.

Mary Fendrich Hulman Hall of the Arts and Sciences at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College.

The Mary Fendrich Hulman Pavilion at Indianapolis Museum of Art

Mari Hulman George Chair in Neuroscience Research
            Mari Fendrich Hulman Charitable Trust
            Date established: April 2000

The Mari Hulman George Search and Rescue Academy

Hulman Riverhouse at the Indianapolis Zoo

Mari Hulman George is trustee of the Hulman Charitable Trust, which has made major contributions to the Indianapolis Zoo, the Indianapolis Museum of Art, the Associated Colleges of Indiana, the Children's Museum and the Humane Society of Indianapolis. She also is responsible for major gifts to Riley Hospital for Children, St. Vincent Hospital and Methodist Hospital.

'Save Arnold' Barbecue

George serves on the Boards of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, the Terre Haute Boys and Girls Club, the Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Indianapolis Zoo and the Development Committee of Indiana State University’s Foundation Board.

Comment

Boy,if that isn't kicking a troll out from under the bridge......
              ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL
                But implying all kinds of criminal activity (not just Canary Fund) with no knowledge of the applicable laws or without a full knowledge of the facts as they pertain to such laws is all good?

Ok. Just so we're clear.
                who is implying "all sorts of criminal activity" and where?

Comment

Whoever mentions that KK gave to Canary Fund, then Canary Fund promoted the SJGP.

Why else do you all have a problem with it?

Comment

I've mentioned that chain of events several times and never once said I thought it was criminal. Unethical and dishonest but probably legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                      Unethical and dishonest but probably legal.
                      How is it unethical and dishonest, but legal? Wouldn't it be illegal? Expecially with a charity involved.

Comment

Feel free to continue that discussion in the Canary Fund thread.
                        There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Rather than sidetrack that thread, I'll answer here and then we're done:

Originally posted by ptistheboss
                          How is it unethical and dishonest, but legal? Wouldn't it be illegal? Expecially with a charity involved.
                          Not necessarily. Let me give you an example: Suppose I hear from a buddy at the police department that a competitor's wife got caught naked in the back seat of a car with competitor's top salesman. I tell all my customers, "I wouldn't do business with my competitor, once he finds out about his wife, he's going to get a divorce and his top guy goes down the road!" Would that be legal? Sure. Ethical? No chance.

Could a charity do something unethical? Absolutely. Suppose a charity raises money for orphans and then later decides to give some money to white supremicist organization. Legal? Yes. Drastically simplified, once the money is handed over to them, they can do what they want as long as they stay within guidelines and donate to a non-profit. Your only recourse is to ask for your money back - good luck - and to stop future donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                            Not necessarily. Let me give you an example: Suppose I hear from a buddy at the police department that a competitor's wife got caught naked in the back seat of a car with competitor's top salesman. I tell all my customers, "I wouldn't do business with my competitor, once he finds out about his wife, he's going to get a divorce and his top guy goes down the road!" Would that be legal? Sure. Ethical? No chance.
                            Considering it's hearsay and immaterial to how the company does business it would be a case of tortious interference and you'd pay big when you're taken to civil court as a result of your behavior.
                            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanupcrew
                              feel free to provide ANY indication from ANY source that the event or the relationship was ever intended to in any way raise funds
                              Oh, get over it.

PURPOSE is for CCWS to take a tax deduction for "alleged" value of its contribution. IRS will decide.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X