Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K Busch: Bet his sponsor is thrilled....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K Busch: Bet his sponsor is thrilled....

Kurt Busch was detained on suspicion of drunken driving and cited for reckless driving after a confrontation with police near the track where the NASCAR champion is to race Sunday.

Busch was stopped Friday night after trying to avoid another car and running a stop sign about 2 miles from Phoenix International Raceway, said Lt. Paul Chagolla

“As a result of the roadside investigation the deputy did take Mr. Busch into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol,” said Chagolla, a Maricopa County sheriff’s spokesman.

Chagolla said the deputy smelled alcohol on Busch, but the driver refused to perform standard field sobriety tests. Busch did submit to a field breath alcohol test, disclosing the presence of alcohol.

The deputy drove Busch to the raceway, where a sheriff’s facility is located, to administer another breath test but the machine there failed. The deputy then decided to cite Busch for reckless driving and he was released, Chagolla said.

Busch was spotted driving about 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, Chagolla said. A deputy tried to pull Busch over but there was some delay, Chagolla said. When he did stop, Busch was argumentative and uncooperative, Chagolla said. The deputy then called for a supervisor.

“This is Maricopa County and our streets are not to be used as raceways,” sheriff Joe Arpaio said. “He ought to confine his speeding to the racetrack. And I don’t like anybody being abusive to my deputies — I don’t care who they are.”

Busch, the reigning Nextel Cup champion, is in Phoenix to race in Sunday’s Checker Auto Parts 500. Busch, eighth in points for the season, qualified 17th for the race.

The driver got his release from Roush Racing earlier this week and plans to join Penske Racing South next season, taking over the No. 2 Dodge from retiring Rusty Wallace.

Neither Busch, his representatives nor the Penske team could be reached for comment.

Jack Roush, Busch’s current car owner, said he doesn’t play to take punitive action against the driver.

“I don’t plan to take any action myself,” he said. “I’m not looking down the road with Kurt, based on the fact that he has his release and he’ll be doing something else. He’ll be under new management and new oversight next year and I’ll just stand aside and watch and see how that works out for him.”

Roush said he had not talked with Busch or any of his representatives and did not know the facts of the incident. Asked how this situation might impact Crown Royal, a distilled Canadian whisky that is Busch’s current sponsor, Roush said, “It would be an issue for Crown Royal, I’m sure, if that proves to be a fact, and going down the road with that relationship.
    “But, happily, I feel we that we can stand aside of it now and say it’s none of my affair.”

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said: “It’s a traffic ticket as far as we know.”

Busch’s truculent behavior on and off the track has gotten him in trouble with NASCAR and other drivers in the past.

The 27-year-old driver from Las Vegas was punched in the face by Jimmy Spencer for trying to deliberately wreck him. He was called “an arrogant punk” by Kevin Harvick and is booed by fans who dislike his aggressive driving.

Busch got into trouble with NASCAR again at Darlington in May when he refused to go where he was told after returning to the track following a crash. He then was called into the pits for a penalty and responded with expletives directed at NASCAR officials over his car radio. He also tossed a water bottle that hit the NASCAR official in his pit.

NASCAR officials said his behavior was not “befitting of a champion.”
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10016366/

Pretty irresponsible comments from the sheriff, looks like he wanted his 15 minutes. Maybe he and the other roobs should worry more about learning to use the Intoxalyzer.

Crown Royal ought to do something about this...though contractually they probably can't due to it only being a reckless driving citation.

Comment

Joe Arpaio

Comment

Joe Arpaio hardly needs his "15 minutes". He is one of the most well-known and highly respected members of law enforcement in the country. His deputies are highly regarded as well.

People in Arizona have been wanting Joe Arpaio to run for Governor for quite some time. If he did, he's probably stand a pretty good chance of winning.

15 minutes indeed
        Twitter: @ByrdRacing
        Facebook: facebook.com/jonathanbyrdsracing
        YouTube: youtube.jonathanbyrdsracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by SportscarBruce
          Joe Arpaio
          Ironic = Mr. Bruce digging for conspiracies in the deepest of holes, while completely ignoring one staring him right in the face.

You don't think its funny that despite being "uncooperative and argumentative", causing "delay" in the traffic stop, and refusing to follow instructions during a stop, there's no mention of other charges?

Not fishy that, amidst all the circumstances, the machine malfunctioned?

Busch might have been uncooperative, but maybe after they saw his licence (and remembered that the race brings likely tens of millions into the local economy) that he was acting as sweet as pie?

Comment

Originally posted by D Byrd
            Joe Arpaio hardly needs his "15 minutes". He is one of the most well-known and highly respected members of law enforcement in the country. His deputies are highly regarded as well.

People in Arizona have been wanting Joe Arpaio to run for Governor for quite some time. If he did, he's probably stand a pretty good chance of winning.

15 minutes indeed
            I was thinking that but I do not live in the valley of the sun. Isn't this the guy that makes the prisoners wear pink?

As far as the post goes I have always thought KB was a punk and this has done nothing to change my oppinion. I am most surprised that Roger Penske has picked him up.

Outlaw

Comment

Originally posted by D Byrd

15 minutes indeed
              Well, these folks certainly won't be voting for him. You'll notice that they seem to think he likes publicity stunts a little too much as well.

http://www.arpaio.com/

Mr. Bruce, with your fascination about lawsuits, you might be particularly interested in #3 in the top ten list there.

As far as I'm concerned, a good sheriff is one that does his job and you don't hear anything about until election time, when all he says is "I did my job".

Comment

That's true David!
                He's also famous for making prison inmates do chain gang work in "traditional" prison outfits! He's a real law inforcement zealot!

Still,
                Looks like Bush got lucky with a simple reckless driving charge vs. a DWI!!!

Comment

Sorry, legal assistant?
                  hehehe

Comment

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I heard of Erin Brockovich.

Comment

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I heard of Erin Brockovich.
                      Got any views on the "toughest sheriff in America" letting Busch off with a minor traffic violation when there's evidence in the news story to support about four criminal charges?

Comment

Additional charges can be filed at any time. If I had to guess, it is a weekend and the sheriff wants to talk to the arresting officers and the DA on Monday before he proceeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                          Additional charges can be filed at any time. If I had to guess, it is a weekend and the sheriff wants to talk to the arresting officers and the DA on Monday before he proceeds.
                          Well, they can't file any impaired driving charges, because the machine "broke". Its highly unlikely they would file charges of resist arrest for (what sounds like) a chase and being so uncooperative as to require assistance. But I suppose anything's possible.

Comment

Sheriff is to be condemmed for being overzealous concerning statements of 'law and order' applies to everyone and at the same time is condemmed for letting Kurt skate on other possible charges.

But you know, I freakin' condem Kurt Busch for acting like an immature punk moron on and now off the track.

Comment

Sheriff is to be condemmed for being overzealous concerning statements of 'law and order' applies to everyone and at the same time is condemmed for letting Kurt skate on other possible charges.

But you know, I freakin' condem Kurt Busch for acting like an immature punk moron on and now off the track.
                              You misunderstood the problem I have with his comments. I commend his support of his deputies, in fact. Too bad that didn't result in charges, but instead resulted in him making flip comments about "speeding is for the racetrack". That type of crap implies selective treatment. Judges have been reprimanded for milder comments.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X