Quebec City Street Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec City Street Race

So what happened with the rumoured IndyCar street race in Quebec City?

Assuming this is a serious question, the last I heard the IRL was still talking to various parties about filling a couple of holes in their schedule, particularly Labor Day. Quebec City is/was a candidate for that slot.

My gut feeling is that the IRL has a handshake deal with Legault for Montreal for '07 and beyond and don't want to run QC if it is only going to be a one year deal and I don't see them doing both QC and Montreal.

Comment

Didn't you previously report that Quebec City was nothing more that a "smokescreen"? Now it's a real race again?

Comment

Originally posted by morden
        So what happened with the rumoured IndyCar street race in Quebec City?
        Good question,and one certainly deserving of an answer.[not a series of roll-eyes,indignation or otherwise dismissive behaviour.]

Although,was this anything more than a rumour,did IRL brass ever make a comment about it,something like,''everything is in place,we just want to wait a year to iron out all the lumps.''?
        ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Dead and buried.
          "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." --- Ayrton Senna

Comment

I don't recall seeing any quotes from IRL brass on this one, and I never presented it to be a done deal (as you did in your Manchester thread).

At first, to be honest, I was feeling a little "cheeky", but I'm actually quite curious now.

The way the whole IRL to QC, ChampCar on the outs with Legault, NASCAR to Canada talk, I'm curious to see what shakes out as far as racing in my backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by morden
              Didn't you previously report that Quebec City was nothing more that a "smokescreen"?
              Isn't that what I just said?

Comment

"Smokescreen" implies they hadn't considered QC at all, but it was all a diversonary tactic to disguise their true intent (racing at Montreal).

Comment

Maybe that's the wrong phrase. Again, just my gut but I believe that there is an offer from QC on the table but that the IRL is not going to pursue it if they can go into Montreal as I suspect they would rather run a permanent circuit than a street course. Having said that, suppose that Legault goes with a Busch-only date, would the IRL then go to QC? Probably not. If Legault re-ups with CC? Maybe.

Comment

Off on a tangent, without Carpentier driving in the IRL, would we even be having this discussion? Would the IRL ever had considered Quebec for a race venue?

I'm obviously a ChampCar fan first, but I do occasionally watch and enjoy IRL races, but the politics have always left a sour taste in my mouth. If the IRL is indeed making backroom deals to help shaft CC out of Montreal, then they lose any support from me. On the other hand, if the IRL had put together a deal to race at Sanair, and leave CC alone at CGV, then I'd probably buy a ticket to both.

Comment

I think it is pretty clear that Legualt doesn't want anything to do with CC. He had this race under CART and gave it away. He was offered Pook's job, turned it down and then took the race back with somewhat lowered expectations and those haven't been met.

Legault has control of the track since CART/OWRS/CC gave it back to him and since there are a limited number of dates, it gets down to his choice. Does he want CC or the IRL and/or Busch? If CC started talking to Gossage about going back to Texas or to ISC about Fontana, would you consider these backroom deals to shaft the IRL?

I've seen complaints from CC fans but not one person said, 'I wanted to buy a ticket but they were sold out because the other grandstands weren't set up.' Legault can count. He erected fewer seats because that is all he could sell. It appears he feels he can sell more seats and make more money with another series.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                        I think it is pretty clear that Legualt doesn't want anything to do with CC. He had this race under CART and gave it away. He was offered Pook's job, turned it down and then took the race back with somewhat lowered expectations and those haven't been met.

Legault has control of the track since CART/OWRS/CC gave it back to him and since there are a limited number of dates, it gets down to his choice. Does he want CC or the IRL and/or Busch? If CC started talking to Gossage about going back to Texas or to ISC about Fontana, would you consider these backroom deals to shaft the IRL?

I've seen complaints from CC fans but not one person said, 'I wanted to buy a ticket but they were sold out because the other grandstands weren't set up.' Legault can count. He erected fewer seats because that is all he could sell. It appears he feels he can sell more seats and make more money with another series.
                        Busch ?? Nextel (Sprint) ??
                        "Don't believe the hype!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                          If CC started talking to Gossage about going back to Texas or to ISC about Fontana, would you consider these backroom deals to shaft the IRL?
                          If CC was talking to TMS or Fontana about breaking a pre-existing IRL contract and taking their place, then YES, I would consider that a backroom deal to shaft the IRL.

What galls me about the Montreal situation is that Legault and the IRL had a "handshake agreement" despite the fact that CC already had a contract. Quite clearly, Legault was looking to sabotage CC in Montreal so he can replace them with NASCAR (with the IRL maybe as a support race).

Comment

Racing fans think that racing promoters have the same agendas that they would have when drop one series and add another. The bottom line with these guys is money. It's a business. If someone feels they can make more money in the long run going with the IRL over CC (or visa versa) who are we to judge them?

See what I mean? CC fans feel that there was deep conspiracy by the promoter here to stiff CC just so he could bring in the IRL. Would any reasonable, fair minded business person cut off his nose to spite his face? No. He's just looking out for his bottom line. But a diehard OW fan might just do something to "get" the other guy (series) & make their lives miserable.

Comment

downtowndeco, by and large, I agree with you.

But, in this case, there is malfeasance. The IRL was interfering with pre-existing contracts. It's not like LB where the contract was up and the promoter started soliciting bids.

The IRL admitted to having a handshake agreement to take over Montreal in '06 even though CC still had a contract to run there. All of a sudden, half the grandstands disappear. Promotion is cut in half. These two things aren't related somehow?

Gimme a break.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X