Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico City: Missing seats

CONSPIRACY THEORY

Tongues have been wagging -- and cyber space sizzling -- with rumors of a Montreal-like conspiracy here at the Autodromo Hermano Rodriguez. At issue is the mystery of the disappearing grandstands. You'll recall that upwards of 35,000 bleacher seats were missing from the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for this summer's Champ Car race, prompting all manner of speculation regarding devious plots by promoter Normand Legault to sabotage the Champ Car event in order to replace it with a NASCAR Busch and/or Craftsman Truck Series and/or Indy Racing League IndyCar Series event.

The Champ Car World Series arrived in Mexico City this week to find that tickets were not on sale for several large bleacher sections, while other bleachers had been removed. At issue were the empty bleachers in and around the Turns Six-Seven "stadium" section, as well as the missing bleachers overlooking the twisting Esses.

What's up with that?

"CIE (race promoter) and I don't own the property," said Gerald Forsythe, who together with CIE spent upwards of $60M renovating the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in time for the 2002 Champ Car race here. "The city does. And they tell us what we can and can't do with the property. (But) we own the rights to stage races here for seven years, beginning in ‘02.

"The city decided they want to use the property at that end of the circuit for new construction. So they wouldn't give us permission to utilize that area for grandstands this year. So some of those grandstands have been taken down, the rest will be taken down and we did not sell tickets for them.

"We are currently negotiating with the city to move some of the grandstands to the front straightaway for 2006. And we are also currently negotiating for the rights to stage races here for an additional seven years after the current agreement expires."
    link

Beats me.

AJ wins tommorow?

Hells Yah!!!!

Comment

When Rice's AP advance story said they had 85,000 seats, I wonder now if that counted those that will not be sold. Attendance of each of the first two days hasn't been announced anywhere or even estimated as far as I can find. Do we expect a Voila! this afternoon of 300,000 for the weekend?
      "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

GF's explanation sounds like it's right out of "Spinal Tap". "The reason we don't play the big stadiums any more is because we wanted to get more intimate with our fans on this tour". "That's why we're playing the small clubs this year."

Pretty good excuse. I see a trend here though. 402,000. 345,000, and this year, what 300,000 (if they have big enough balls)?

Comment

Sorta like:

Phoenix - 30k - 20k - 8k - gone.

Fontana - 40k - 30k - 20k - gone.

Texas - 100k - 90k - 80k - gone?
          Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

Isn't Phillips one of the "Gang of Four" that so many here blast? How come no one is claiming this is more BS?

Oh wait, its an article that isn't a kiss and hug and blind love for CC, so it must now be true?
            If you break a vase and then glue it back together and the vase loses it's value, you do not get credit for fixing it. You get the blame for damaging it....

Comment

Originally posted by Indyknut
              Texas was gone from CC for reasons other than attendance. They didn't want drivers blacking out.
              "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Brantoc
                Texas was gone from CC for reasons other than attendance. They didn't want drivers blacking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brantoc
                  ????? Your point? Sanctioning bodies should just ignore driver and fan safety and go on with the show???
                  Trump, he's one of the nicest, most decent human beings possibly ever to walk the planet..

Comment

????? Your point? Sanctioning bodies should just ignore driver and fan safety and go on with the show???
                    If they had done their homework they may have not had a problem. Olvey knew almost immeadiately what was happening, so I can't believe they didn't know it was possible.

Which is why the comparisons of the two kinds of cars are rediculous. You can have rocket ships if you like but if the drivers can't take the g loading there is very little point.
                    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

I believe the point had zero to do with safety, but rather was to point out the fact that your post did not address the topic of this thread, but as is often the case, your effort to deflect the question

and this time you got what you deserved

Comment

Sorta like:

Phoenix - 30k - 20k - 8k - gone.

Fontana - 40k - 30k - 20k - gone.

Chamber empty..click,click,click....hey,let's bring up the IRL !!
                        ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco
                          GF's explanation sounds like it's right out of "Spinal Tap". "The reason we don't play the big stadiums any more is because we wanted to get more intimate with our fans on this tour". "That's why we're playing the small clubs this year."

Pretty good excuse. I see a trend here though. 402,000. 345,000, and this year, what 300,000 (if they have big enough balls)?
                          If you are going to quote on of the greatest movies of all time, then you have to get it right.

Marty DiBergi asks Ian Faith since Spinal Tap was playing in 15,000-20,000 seat venues and now they are playing in 1,500-2,000 venues was the band popularity was smaller, to which Ian replies: "No I wouldn't say that band is less popular, I would say that their appeal is more selective."
                          Never Drink and Drive, Use a 3-Iron...

"Call Tony George, sell him your assets and save money, if not open-wheel racing." - Robin Miller to CCWS

http://koorsenmfg.com

http://www.mulsannescorner.com

Comment

"The reason we don't play the big stadiums any more is because we wanted to get more intimate with our fans on this tour". "That's why we're playing the small clubs this year."
                            Sounded more like "The City owns these stands, and the City decided to renovate that area instead of put up stands this year" to me...

Really, i didnt see any 'conspiracy' ideas like in Montreal. City wanted to renovate a block, so they didnt want to put up stands there. Nuff said. No shady promoter dealings trying to get rid of selling grandstands or anything.

Comment

Formula OW
                              Isn't it wonderful?
                              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X