ESPN not happy with $ Nascar wants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN not happy with $ Nascar wants

From Jayski today. Will this have an impact on the IRL on ABC?

Jayski:
    NBC back in the TV picture? hearing that NBC/TNT may be back in the bidding for the Nextel Cup TV Package which was expected to go to ABC/ESPN TNT wants a 8-9 race package, but ESPN doesn't want to give up four or five races from their half and still pay the amount NASCAR wants, so rumor is NASCAR has gone back to NBC to reopen talks.(11-5-2005)
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Is this the beginning of the end of the NASCAR machine?
    "We won a few races here and there, but the magic died the day Helmet melted." - Doc Austin on slotcar champion Michael Shannon

Comment

Originally posted by stretch51
      Don't get too happy. It's just the market correcting itself. I think some of the TV contracts NASCAR has been getting has been based on projected growth. Now they have to deal with what they have. I don't think anybody in the France family will be too unhappy with whatever contract they do get.
      It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

The package was oversold in the beginning. Now everyone wants it cheaper. The frenzy has subsized a little but I don't expect nascar to lose too much of their momentum. There's peaks and valleys in all auto racing. If this is the worst valley nascar faces they will be just fine.
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
          The package was oversold in the beginning. Now everyone wants it cheaper. The frenzy has subsized a little but I don't expect nascar to lose too much of their momentum. There's peaks and valleys in all auto racing. If this is the worst valley nascar faces they will be just fine.
          Yes we are a long way from anyone in the France family having to open up their checkbook to be on TV anytime soon.

BTW is the chase over yet? who's leading?

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
          I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Originally posted by Whosyer-Sparkplug
            BTW is the chase over yet?
            Chase raced in Virginia, but I don't expect to see them again until the Rolex.
            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Maybe ESPN should appreciate what they have a little more.
              "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

Originally posted by stretch51
                No.
                Chicago Blackhawks done didn't do it again!

Comment

NBC drew a line in the sand. Fox would also like a chance to be profitable with NASCAR. Neither are and ABC/ESPN is prepared not to be. But too much in the red may be too much to ask. So we'll see what happens.

They already have the most exciting product in motorsports. Wish they could see beyond Danica.

Comment

None of you seem to have paid attention.

The deal is for a 40% INCREASE in rights fees. That's INCREASE, with an 'i'.

Fox/FX is willing to renew for either an 18 race package or a 14 week package. TNT, sans its NBC partners wants 8 races. The question is with ABC/ESPN which seems to only be interested in an 18 week package, not willing to sign for 14 weeks.

In about a month (my guess is during the Banquet) you will all be very disappointed that again the hoped for colapse of NASCAR doesn't happen and the rights will be appotioned either two or three ways, for big $$$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC
                      the hoped for colapse of NASCAR

Center Grove Trojans
                      2008 5A Football State Champs
                      2015 6A Football State Champs
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

I don't hope NASCAR collapses because of all the status they've acquired. I hope they collapse because their lucky dogs and dumbass rules help make a ******* farce of auto racing.

And incidentally...

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                        Chase raced in Virginia, but I don't expect to see them again until the Rolex.
                        Who is this 'Chase'...? Any rumors he might be headed to Indy, or does he get put on the doing-it-for-status list with so many others??
                        THIS...IS...OPEN-WHEEL!!!

Some people have religion. I happen to be one of them.

"If grown men and women wish to take such risks, that is their own business."
                        Ronald Reagan

"Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

Comment

None of you seem to have paid attention.

Fox/FX is willing to renew for either an 18 race package or a 14 week package. TNT, sans its NBC partners wants 8 races. The question is with ABC/ESPN which seems to only be interested in an 18 week package, not willing to sign for 14 weeks.

In about a month (my guess is during the Banquet) you will all be very disappointed that again the hoped for colapse of NASCAR doesn't happen and the rights will be appotioned either two or three ways, for big $$$$$$.
                          I like NASCAR........
                          the man in expensive shoes

Comment

Not CONDENSE with a 'c'.
                            DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

It could be "increase" or it could be "condense".

UPDATE: NBC might be interested in selling the final year of its NASCAR Nextel Cup contract (2006) to TV partner Turner (TNT), according to television sources. That could be seen as a blow to the sport. NBC's new National Football League contract kicks off next season, and NBC wants its Sunday night coverage to start a 7 p.m., which conflicts with some of NASCAR's weekend time-window desires. However, according to other reports, Brian France could be prepared to announce a new TV contract for 2007 through 2112 for as much as $4 billion. France said in late September he would probably make a TV announcement within four to six weeks. Turner officials say they want "as many (Cup) races as we can get." Turner currently splits the second half of the NASCAR season with NBC, though NBC carries the year's final eight events.(Winston Salem Journal)(11-7-2005)
                              DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X