Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another oval lost, another street race added?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another oval lost, another street race added?

For CC in 06? Notice LV.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/E....asp?Year=2006

I can't see any way, any how that CC will have any ovals in 07. The transformation from a racing series to a traveling festival/show will be complete.

Good. You can continue not watching it.

Comment

I don't know why that would be bad. Champcar just needs to get off the ovals and optimize it's new package for road racing. No matter what they do, they won't have the Indianapolis, so it's pretty useless to pretend they have some sort of oval heritige. Just go all road racing and get it over with. Establish their own identity and go their own way. If they keep going head to head with the IRL it's just going to destroy them both.

If champcar goes all road racing they will have my support, and proably even my enthusiasm, and I've said that since 2002.
      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by morden
        I'll watch it. Even the worst street race is better than the best golfing/baseball/football.

I wonder how the CC diehards must feel like at this point though. When KK bought the series he said the main reason was to carry on and protect the great tradition of Champ Car racing. All of that has gone straight into the crapper with the dropping of almost all natural road courses and almost all ovals.

I wonder if CC fans would have been as enthusiastic about KK & Co. winning in court if they'd have known this is how the CC was going to end up. The "All street, all the time" series.

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco

I wonder how the CC diehards must feel like at this point though. .
          probably no different then those that bought into the IRL original vision

Comment

Originally posted by morden

The line doing that same things is awful long...
            "We won a few races here and there, but the magic died the day Helmet melted." - Doc Austin on slotcar champion Michael Shannon

Comment

No. Very different. KK saved our series. We have no illusions that ovals aren't the draw the were. And of course ISC aint helpin things none.

Comment

More than football?

Comment

Originally posted by ptistheboss
                  We have no illusions that ovals aren't the draw the were. And of course ISC aint helpin things none.
                  We all know that ISC doesn't have any successful oval races.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

The use of the word street is used as a some form of dirty word. But as long as it`s a good course (ie. Edmonton), it is light years ahead of the usual restrictor plate like oval. The poor ones (ie. San Jose) just need fixing.
                    It`s a shame tracks like Phoenix are gone, those are the ovals I would not mind. Lifting of the throttle is a good thing.

About what Doc said, but in reverse. If IC stuck to all ovals, nobody would step on any toes, and would get more support. Well, at least we could be done with the comparisons and go our separate ways.

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco
                      I wonder if CC fans would have been as enthusiastic about KK & Co. winning in court if they'd have known this is how the CC was going to end up. The "All street, all the time" series.
                      I wasn't that enthusastic about them winning for the simple reason that TG winning would have ended the split. Another story entirely, although the IRL's direction since then (adding street/road racing, dropping ovals) seems to demonstrate that he would have been far more open to the old CART type series than I'd even imagined.

I'm not the biggest oval fan, but I think the diversity of circuits held enough appeal that a couple should be retained.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by RusH
                        About what Doc said, but in reverse. If IC stuck to all ovals, nobody would step on any toes, and would get more support.
                        ISC (via the France family) is doing more for road racing than any entiry in the country with it's Rolex Grand American Road Racing program. Why in the world would a road racing fan not support that? The Glen was dead without the Frances buying and refurbishing it. VIR was only refurbished because it needed upgrades for the rolex race, and Barber motorsports Park's biggest event of the year is their Rolex race. They are also kicking off a new permanent road course in Utah next year as well as having an event in Laguna seca. Out of all those facilities, the only one owned by ISI is the Glen. Grand american going to the other facilities just helps keep them busy and afloat. Who is is doing that much for road racing in America?

It isn't ISC's fault that they have such a great product and it isn't the France's fault they give the people what they want. I think everyone needs to get over the evil France thing and appreciate what they are doing for all of us.

If you take the Frances and ISC out of the equation, exactly how many events would the IRL have, anyway? It isn't just road racing that the frances are keeping going.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                          ISC (via the France family) is doing more for road racing than any entiry in the country with it's Rolex Grand American Road Racing program. Why in the world would a road racing fan not support that?
                          The cars and field aren't that interesting to me, and they don't race anywhere near where I live. That's about it.

I catch the Rolex 24 typically, the field is very compelling for that race at least, although the track isn't.

jono

Comment

I agree with most of what you said there, but IC was short for IndyCar. Sorry that I was not clear.
                            You made good points though, I have no beef with the France family.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                              probably no different then those that bought into the IRL original vision
                              Aren't you the one that chastised me from bringing the IRL into a topic about CC yesterday? This topic is about CC. Don't try & change the subject. Unless, of course, you are uncomfortable with the direction KK is taking CC.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X