Edmonton trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton trouble?

Maybe it is too early to discuss but last year West Edmonton Mall was the title sponsor of the Edmonton CC GP; they apparently have decided not to renew as their logo and presence have all but vanished from the official website:

link

Word on another forum is that WEM paid $400,000 for the title sponsorship last year on an introductory basis and were offered the deal this year for $1.4 million Canadian and passed. Proposals are out but no bites yet.

You're going to throw your arm out of your socket if you keep grasping at straws like that Jim. Remember when the IRL logo got yanked from TMS? Was that the end of the world for the IRL there? Didn't think so. Maybe this is no big deal either.
    For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

I'm surprised. With names like Charles Zwolsman, Nelson Phillipe, Will Power(is that his real name)Ronnie Bremer, Homero Richards, Michael McDowell, Ricardo Sperafico, Rodolfo Lavin and Andrew Ranger I thought people would be linig up to sponsor CC.

Comment

WEM hasnt decided on whether or not to reup. Clearly, the race has a huge value, and they are looking for alot more money this year... something West Edmonton Mall might not be able to afford. Im sure they will stay onboard at some level, but $1.4+ million is alot for a mall to pay out

I dont think the ability to ask for more money is a sign of "trouble" in any degree..

Comment

Is Luke Warmwater still looking for a champ car ride? He was really churning up the waters a few years ago in the Bay area.
          ...Always follow the money

Comment

Originally posted by irloyal
            Is Luke Warmwater still looking for a champ car ride? He was really churning up the waters a few years ago in the Bay area.
            No, he was replaced by Del Monte but Del Monte put it in the can.

DEL MONTE WILL NOT COMPETE AT MEXICO CITY

After completing 35 laps and making steady progress throughout his rookie outing on the 2.789 mile road course, Del Monte made contact with the tire barrier at turn 13, damaging his #4 Lola, but fortunately escaping serious injury.

Del Monte was transported to the track's infield medical center and was released shortly after. Following further examination including an IMPACT test by Dr. Chris Pinderski and the Champ Car Medical team, it was determined Del Monte has a concussion and has not been cleared to drive in the final round of the 2005 Champ Car World Series this weekend in Mexico City.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygni
              WEM hasnt decided on whether or not to reup. Clearly, the race has a huge value, and they are looking for alot more money this year... something West Edmonton Mall might not be able to afford. Im sure they will stay onboard at some level, but $1.4+ million is alot for a mall to pay out

I dont think the ability to ask for more money is a sign of "trouble" in any degree..
              And how did "The Cygni's" calculate the "huge value"?? Your group assumption or what?
              Being sued for $2.1 BILLION is a serious problem!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygni

Is that value in Canadian or US $$?

Comment

Originally posted by Chitownfan
                  No, he was replaced by Del Monte but Del Monte put it in the can.

DEL MONTE WILL NOT COMPETE AT MEXICO CITY
                  I'll betcha Luke is available!

Comment

Originally posted by Indycarjunkie
                    Remember when the IRL logo got yanked from TMS? Was that the end of the world for the IRL there?
                    It was the end of 1/2 of the IRL races there.
                    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by tripper
                      And how did "The Cygni's" calculate the "huge value"?? Your group assumption or what?
                      The same way 'we' just calculated the value of your post. Which, for your post, happens to be zero.

That value is in packed stands, interested sponsors, and good racing.

Comment

I'll betcha Luke is available!
                        Maybe they can come to the IRL and race along the great americans that came up through the ladders to earn their strips like Ed Carpenter and Foyt the Forth. Or maybe if the're good enough, and are handsome enought, they could get a couple of poles and finish midpack like the new racing legand GO-GO Patrick. Or perhaps if they have enough coin, they could join the legions of legandary drivers that have worked their way to the top echelon of Indy Racedom like Matsura, Shiggy (Complete with IRL Compatition license, his CART license having been pulled...), and Miera.

Cuts both ways dude....

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                          ...Word on another forum is that WEM paid $400,000 for the title sponsorship last year on an introductory basis and were offered the deal this year for $1.4 million Canadian...

Your teeth are showing.
                          "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                            Maybe it is too early to discuss...

Well, jim, it's never too early for you.

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed yet, but it looks to me like Champcar hasn't released their schedule for 2009. Hmmmmm.
                            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Not every race can be an Amber Alert race.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X