Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheldon: Still not sure

From Atlas:

IRL champion Dan Wheldon says he is still undecided about his future and has denied having signed a Formula One deal.

Wheldon's contract with the Honda-powered Andretti Green Racing team expired last Tuesday and there has been speculation that the Briton is set to become a Formula One test driver before landing a race seat in 2007.

But the 27-year old Briton, who has been linked with the BMW team, says he is still to make up his mind.

"No, I don't know where my future is going to take me right now," said Wheldon today in Cartagena, where he is set to take part in the Race of Stars karting event.

"The man who's in charge of my career is also in charge of Juan Pablo's and Pedro's, so he's obliviously guided them in the direction and he knows the Formula One market well because of that, but I haven't decided where I'm going to go just yet."

Who is ""the man who's in charge of my career"?

Comment

Originally posted by speedmonkey
      Who is ""the man who's in charge of my career"?
      Julian Jakobi. He's Montoya's manager anyway.

I had to look it up.

jono

Comment

Guess this is where I screwed up. I'm in charge of my own career.
        Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

You got ta get "people" Rad's.
          ...Always follow the money

Comment

Note to Wheldon:
            If F1 teams think you're good enough, they don't ask for money for a test ride.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=106505

F1 prices scared Wheldon away from F1

2005 Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon has been hoping to secure himself a job in Formula One for a long time. His Indy 500 win made him even better known with the teams and he has been in talks with a number of teams. He ended up disappointed though, finding out that even a test seat in F1 won't be cheap.

"It astonishes me that people pay up to $5 million for a test drive in Formula One," Wheldon said. "It makes no sense to me. There is no logic in it. Of course, I want to try Formula One but I have learnt from being in America that it is not the end of my career. I am very happy doing what I am doing and I am very successful at it."

Wheldon was negotiating with Honda, Williams and BMW-Sauber.
            jono

Comment

Shoot. At least Kanaan got a test.
              Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

Comment

Originally posted by jonovision_man
                Note to Wheldon:
                If F1 teams think you're good enough, they don't ask for money for a test ride.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=106505

jono

Talk about taken out of context. That was taken from this article, with there own added colouring apparently.

It is sometimes too easy to equate Britain’s motor racing image and success with Formula One and Jenson Button’s failure to win a grand prix after 100 races and the gradual fading of David Coulthard, which makes the sport seem a hopeless basket case of lost talent. But Wheldon is one of many drivers to prove that Formula One is not the be-all of motor racing, they just have to seek their fame and fortune elsewhere.

In 2005 — apart from Wheldon’s prestigious IRL title — Andy Priaulx won the FIA World Touring Car Championships, while Lewis Hamilton, at 20, was the runaway winner of the European Formula Three series. Gary Paffett has earned a job as a test driver with McLaren Mercedes on the back of his impressive victory in the high-profile German DTM series — beating the likes of Jean Alesi, Mika Hakkinen and Allan McNish to the title — while the new Formula A Karting Champion is Oliver Oakes, a 17-year-old from Hopton in Norfolk.

They are Britain’s successful class of 2005 but, Paffett aside, none will appear in Formula One in the short term, something that makes Wheldon despair. Aside from the shortage of top drives with any chance of winning, an embarrassingly substantial part of the Formula One grid has been made up by drivers who pay their way into the sport.

“It astonishes me that people pay up to $5 million for a test drive in Formula One,” Wheldon said. “It makes no sense to me. There is no logic in it. Of course, I want to try Formula One but I have learnt from being in America that it is not the end of my career. I am very happy doing what I am doing and I am very successful at it.”

Having been turned down by Honda and rejected out of hand by Williams, Wheldon held long negotiations with the new BMW Sauber team. He was even willing to take a step backwards and spend a year as test driver to learn the ropes of Formula One — a rare act of humility in sport. But BMW would still not offer him a guarantee of a race seat in 2007, in spite of a record that makes him a natural-born winner: six victories in his championship season as well as becoming the first Briton to win the Indianapolis 500 since Graham Hill in 1966.
                "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

That "context" only makes him look worse... adds that he was "turned down by Honda and rejected out of hand by Williams".

The quote from Wheldon is the same, complaining about people paying for tests, and trying to spin it that he's happy outside of F1.

jono

Comment

He must be happy outside of F1 since he's never been a F1 driver. He would've taken the BMW test drive if he was that desperate for a ride in F1.
                    "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

Originally posted by jonovision_man
                      That "context" only makes him look worse... adds that he was "turned down by Honda and rejected out of hand by Williams".
                      But put it back in context - Williams seriously considered running Narain Karthikeyan as their third driver next year, whose major attribute is a bunch of rupees from Tata. Although he did a decent job in F1 his junior record is not as good as Wheldon's.
                      "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Refutation
                        He must be happy outside of F1 since he's never been a F1 driver. He would've taken the BMW test drive if he was that desperate for a ride in F1.
                        So because he claims to have turned down a test ride with NO guarantee of a race seat with a mid-field team, he doesn't want to be in F1?

F1 didn't want Wheldon.

jono

Comment

What's your mission here Jono?

Cant say I know you well enough to judge, so are you a Cartsturbator trying to crap on the IRL champion or are you just a bitter man with some spare time on your hands?

I like to know the agenda before I value the argument.

Comment

I guess if I need an agenda, it's to expose whiney drivers like da Matta or Wheldon who have no end of bad things to say about F1 after F1 rejects them.

I'm an F1 fan, and I'm sick of drivers who trash the series just because they didn't make the cut.

jono

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Wheldon
                              “It astonishes me that people pay up to $5 million for a test drive in Formula One,” Wheldon said. “It makes no sense to me. There is no logic in it.
                              Did I hear that right? Something about too many foreign ride buyers? Danny's almost a Naturalized 'merican!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X