Molson Champ Car Grand Prix of Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molson Champ Car Grand Prix of Toronto

Well, I guess some people got their wish. On both sides.

Molson "Indy" is no more.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=141851

If they could have used it and didn't, then IMO they're making a mistake. If they couldn't use it for rights reasons, then I guess that's how it's got to be.

jono

I agree. Mommy, what is a "Champcar?"

Comment

Why would they drop the name 'Molson Indy?' I was told they had a ton invested in the brand...........and is Montreal next?

Comment

Who's the driver in the firestone add on that page?

Is that an Indy Car logo on his fire suit?

Comment

Originally posted by KyIndyFan
          Who's the driver in the firestone add on that page?

Is that an Indy Car logo on his fire suit?
          Patrick Carpantier, former CCWs driver and current Team Cheever driver. And a Canadian.
          After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chitownfan
            I agree. Mommy, what is a "Champcar?"
            According to National Speedsport News:

The “Bridgestone Presents Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford” first hit the track when Championship Auto Racing Teams was founded on November 25, 1978.

While the cars are referred to as Champ Cars, they essentially are Indy Cars. The cars are powered by four-cycle, overhead camshaft eight-cylinder Ford engines. Ford is the engine supplier for all teams competing in the series. Lola and Reynard chassis are used.

The Champ Car series competes on ovals, street courses and permanent road courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
              Why would they drop the name 'Molson Indy?' I was told they had a ton invested in the brand...........and is Montreal next?
              The 'Indy' named wasnt leased from Tony George to ChampCar... it was leased to Molstar. That was likely the problem.

Then again, maybe ChampCar wanted to drop the Indy name... i wouldnt have, Molson obviously saw the value and so did I.

Comment

This can only hurt the event.
                The IRL set a direction in 1996, has followed its plan, and has not deviated from it.

Comment

This can only help ChampCar branding in Canada.

Comment

If it is such a dandy idea, why didn't they do it before?

Comment

Originally posted by ptistheboss
                      This can only help ChampCar branding in Canada.
                      Now that's funny.

Comment

We have had this debate a 100 times before. The LEGAL stuff gets bandied about.

The right answer is more simple.

The events held in Canada and Australia are not Indy events. Calling them such is just stupid and false. That simple.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC
                          The events held in Canada and Australia are not Indy events. Calling them such is just stupid and false. That simple.
                          I don't really want to get mired in this old debate again since it's no longer all that important, but calling it "stupid" is not called for, your oversimplification notwithstanding.

When those races were named the name "Molson Indy" was very appropriate for the race. Molson invested in building that brand for many many years, to the point where when you mention "Indy" people think of the race in Toronto. The media call it "the Indy", "Molson Indy", etc.

To the people for whom it matter most (Canadians, mostly Torontonians), the term Indy had no other special significance. Keeping the name made a lot of sense given how much Molson had done to build the brand here.

jono

Comment

I think it's kind of funny how some here think that Molson using the name "Indy" was somehow evil, yet now switching to the name "ChampCar" is also bad. It's almost as if they have some sort of... agenda. Nah, couldn't be that...
                            "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." --- Ayrton Senna

Comment

Posted the Toronto Sun story on the other thread, but guess it belongs here......

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Oth...92381-sun.html
                              "The lunatic fringes on both sides need to be written off." -- stnky pete

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X